Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Home and Work Locations are Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I have had my Model 3 LR since Aug and am loving it so far, except I have had someone scratch my rear bumper similar to someone riding their bicycle and scraping their pedal along the bumper. Not too happy, I only noticed it a few days later and I had forgotten to turn on Sentry mode on several occasions.
Why I don't have the sentry mode set as always? I don't require it on at home or work, and this is where the problem is.
The GPS cursor of where my car is at on the Nav screen and on my phone app are 100% correct, no next door neighbor visiting traits.
To input the address on Nav screen you type in your physical address, only that when I do that, Navigation puts me 3km away from where I am parked.
Is there anyway to use the actual location indicated to input as your home or workplace, then I can have my sentry mode switched on at every other location I park at.
Thanks

If you enter your address in Google Maps, does it show the correct location? If not, report the issue to Google. If Google shows the correct location, I’m not sure what’s going on. Try rebooting the car if you didn’t already.

In the meantime, try using a different address that is near your actual location.

Thanks for the reply, when I type my address into google maps, it gets me closer but it's still a good 0.5km away from my home pin, rebooting the car does nothing as as it isn't the a GPS problem, more database I reckon. I have also tried typing in a landmark that is literally 50m away, but even with the Home excluded on Sentry mode, the car still records.
I can only wish that Tesla could let you use a pin drop to input your location or use coordinates. Maybe I will drop them an email to ask.
Overall lovin everything that they have done and not being at the mercy of pesky fuel companies.

Hello I have had my Model 3 LR since Aug and am loving it so far, except I have had someone scratch my rear bumper similar to someone riding their bicycle and scraping their pedal along the bumper. Not too happy, I only noticed it a few days later and I had forgotten to turn on Sentry mode on several occasions.
Why I don't have the sentry mode set as always? I don't require it on at home or work, and this is where the problem is.
The GPS cursor of where my car is at on the Nav screen and on my phone app are 100% correct, no next door neighbor visiting traits.
To input the address on Nav screen you type in your physical address, only that when I do that, Navigation puts me 3km away from where I am parked.
Is there anyway to use the actual location indicated to input as your home or workplace, then I can have my sentry mode switched on at every other location I park at.
Thanks
A difficult situation
is your new "home" ok with a stranger parked in the driveway
Have you thought about asking them to adopt you
The only solution maybe to move

A difficult situation
is your new "home" ok with a stranger parked in the driveway
Have you thought about asking them to adopt you
The only solution maybe to move
Lol.......house visits to neighbours other half?
Slight oversight on Tesla, that not everyone's carpark space has an actual address or they are parked right outside their front doorstep, for me I am but when I input my address into the nav is puts me miles away.

Eh may I ask what you did? The Nav screen and Tesla app map has my car bang on where I parked, just cannot input that as home.
I had to google the procedure to request a change to the location of my home address pin in google maps. I ended up on a google maps page where I could shift the location of the address pin on the map and submit the change as an update request. Did it in the evening and by sometime the next day the change was accepted. I think I shifted my pin by between 40 and 70 feet - google had my address pin in the middle of my lot, but my house is actually in the southeastern corner. This was just enough to make the car recognize the parking location as “home” and my sentry mode stopped remaining active in the garage.

I had to google the procedure to request a change to the location of my home address pin in google maps. I ended up on a google maps page where I could shift the location of the address pin on the map and submit the change as an update request. Did it in the evening and by sometime the next day the change was accepted. I think I shifted my pin by between 40 and 70 feet - google had my address pin in the middle of my lot, but my house is actually in the southeastern corner. This was just enough to make the car recognize the parking location as “home” and my sentry mode stopped remaining active in the garage.
Thanks! Will try that.

Thanks for this thread. After getting a new MCU, everything the car knew was lost. The Sentry exception for Home used to work fine. Now after reprogramming it's maybe 50/50. We get reminded when we go in the garage and the car flashes at us. Other times it correctly leaves Sentry off.

So I just tried the above update to Google Maps. I didn't know that was a thing, so thanks, @AmokTime ! But even if Google updates it in a day or two, will that be effective in the car? I thought Tesla only updated map data rather infrequently.