Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode - how much battery does it use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I accept the stated power consumption of Sentry Mode, I am at a loss to understand it. One mile of range is about 300 watts..? A laptop PC is 50W, and a desktop 100W. Even the Nest Dropcam, which runs hot, is only about 8W. What the heck adds up to that much power?

Not entirely sure, just reporting my and other's experience.

It is running the AP computer, and doing fancy NN analysis of multiple incoming video streams in real time to decide if there are reportable things moving near the car.

I don’t know how much power the computer and cameras use or if the car is holding more modules awake to facilitate Sentry for some reason.

While I accept the stated power consumption of Sentry Mode, I am at a loss to understand it. One mile of range is about 300 watts..? A laptop PC is 50W, and a desktop 100W. Even the Nest Dropcam, which runs hot, is only about 8W. What the heck adds up to that much power?
Well, i read somewhere before that with Sentry Mode on, the car basically need to keep FSD active to run all the cameras(Don't ask me for source, cause i don't remember where I read it). You really cant' compare powering a car vs a Computer or a Nest Cam. Who knows what other parts of the car they need to keep active in order to run Sentry Mode on?