Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode - I can’t be the only one, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, you definitely arent the only one. I saw this joke somewhere else here on this exact topic, so cant take credit for it, but it expresses how I feel:

of course I know him he is me.JPG

This happens to me regularly. If I approach the Tesla Model Y from the driver's side and immediately open the driver's door then no Sentry event. If I approach from any other side then my Model Y may record a Sentry event. (Phone in front pocket or shirt pocket, never back pants pocket.)

Yeah I havent been able to figure out under what circumstance it decides to make me coming back to the car a sentry event. As a rule, however, I am accessing the trunk of the vehicle before the drivers door, like 99% of the time. When I am going to work, I put my backpack in the trunk of the car I am taking (either my model 3 or my wifes model Y), but sentry is not set at home.

When we go out to the store or something, I am usually putting something in the trunk. The only time I am not putting anything in the trunk is when we go out to eat.

well glad to know it’s not just me, haha. also i hate that when i go to play the video, sometimes it starts like 3 minutes before the event and i have to scrub through to get to the actual event.

for reference, my phone is always in my front right pocket, and i’m always opening the driver door. i do approach the vehicle from different sides though. typically it’s the front or rear cameras that it picks up the event

When sentry mode first came out, it recorded me coming back every single time. Then there was an update that the person with the phone key won't get recorded. Since then, I don't think I have seen any recording of myself. But I don't use sentry mode that often these days though.