Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode instructions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please ignore my ignorance but I'm looking for some actual INSTRUCTIONS as to how set up the Sentry mode. Where does Tesla post instructions for new updates besides just a quick 1-page note on screen after update? Do I need to format thumb drive... where do I plug it in... how do I know that video was recorded? If anyone has a good resource I'd love to have it. Thanks!

I'm another ignoramus who would like this information. Just got back home from spending the winter away, and I'm sure I'm woefully out of date on all things related to my Model 3. In particular, before leaving, I had given up on the dashcam because no matter what I did, the drive had to be reformatted every time I removed it, and often died even before being removed.

What drive should I use? (Cost is no object: I want the best.)
How should it be formatted?
Is there a way to get the video out by wi-fi, or do I have to physically unplug it and stick it in a computer?
How do I activate Sentry mode? (The owner's manual, downloaded from Tesla's web site today, does not mention Sentry mode.)

I'm another ignoramus who would like this information. Just got back home from spending the winter away, and I'm sure I'm woefully out of date on all things related to my Model 3. In particular, before leaving, I had given up on the dashcam because no matter what I did, the drive had to be reformatted every time I removed it, and often died even before being removed.

What drive should I use? (Cost is no object: I want the best.)
How should it be formatted?
Is there a way to get the video out by wi-fi, or do I have to physically unplug it and stick it in a computer?
How do I activate Sentry mode? (The owner's manual, downloaded from Tesla's web site today, does not mention Sentry mode.)
Drive to use: pick any capacity you like, I'd recommend going with a SSD over a thumb drive. SSD has been known to provide better performance, especially when a single drive is used for both recording and music playing.

Format in FAT32, it's the only format accepted.

Sentry Mode can be activated in the Controls section of the phone app, or in the security section of the car.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I have a thumb drive plugged into the right side of the console (?). I have music on the drive, so does the Sentry Mode add a file or write over my music?
No, a separate drive, or single drive partitioned as two drives, are required for music and recording. There are posts here with detailed instructions. I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube also.

Please ignore my ignorance but I'm looking for some actual INSTRUCTIONS as to how set up the Sentry mode. Where does Tesla post instructions for new updates besides just a quick 1-page note on screen after update? Do I need to format thumb drive... where do I plug it in... how do I know that video was recorded? If anyone has a good resource I'd love to have it. Thanks!

Sentry mode does not require video to be recorded. Therefore Sentry is about as easy as turning it on.

If you want video to be recorded, then you need to follow instructions for enabling a thumb drive to allow video to be recorded.

They are two different features, it just happens that one uses the other, hence the instructions are not together.

Great video. Using the SanDisk iXpand is inspired! I already had a SanDisk I bought to extend the space on my old phone. With a new bigger phone, I had no use for the iXpand until I consumed your video., Excellent idea--thank you.

It would have been nice if Tesla had provided some release notes, and especially if they had provided some guidance on what type of storage is recommended for Dashcam use. There have been many people on the forum trying to use cheap USB flash drives only to find they are getting corrupted after one or two uses. The general consensus seems to be that SSD storage is preferred. The Samsung Endurance products have been designed for Dashcam use and are designed to withstand the extreme heat inside the cabin when parked in the sun. Over time I’m sure the members of this forum will come up with best practices to get all of this to work.

Reactions: Scott7
It would have been nice if Tesla had provided some release notes, and especially if they had provided some guidance on what type of storage is recommended for Dashcam use. There have been many people on the forum trying to use cheap USB flash drives only to find they are getting corrupted after one or two uses.

And plenty using high end storage having the same issues. Including SSD users.

It's not a hardware problem, it's a software problem.

It's the same problem we saw when the original dashcam feature came out... a couple updates later, everything worked fine, even for everyone who didn't change their hardware.

Then when they added 2 more cameras and sentry mode, the same corruption issues were back. Now we're waiting for Tesla to fix them again in software.

The idea you need some kinda magic enterprise-class storage to record a measly 1.5MB/s is simply nonsense- Teslas programmers are just crap at managing file systems.

I have not have any USB corruption since I stopped plugging the drive to my PC. For the last 4 weeks, I had been plugging it to my Pixel 3XL phone with a OTG adapter. I think Windows 10 is the one corrupting my flash drives.

There might be something to this. I also haven't had any USB corruption on the dashcam either even when I forget to pause the recording before leaving the car...but haven't plugged into a computer either. I thought it was the update that may have fixed it but we will see...

There might be something to this. I also haven't had any USB corruption on the dashcam either even when I forget to pause the recording before leaving the car...but haven't plugged into a computer either. I thought it was the update that may have fixed it but we will see...

Heh I actually stopped pausing it too before removing the stick. I did it one time accidentally and it didn't corrupt the drive, so I just stopped doing it all together. I think Microsoft really doesn't like you using FAT32, so it just randomly sabotages you hoping you will switch file system LOL.

For those that haven't looked at their Model 3 Manual, I thought I'd post the Dashcam page with some updated annotated information since some of the basics of TeslaCam don't seem to be understood by everyone.

Dashcam updated - 1.jpg

I have occasionally noticed that after I've checked my drive on my computer and reinserted it into the USB connector, that the camera icon will show up with a red dot on it but not always. If you don't see the red recording dot or it goes out, tap the camera icon and it should appear if the drive can be written to. No red recording dot, not recording any footage.

Last edited:
The corruption appears to be a software issue, but SSDs are vastly more capable and reliable storage devices than any flash drive.

I don't see a good reason to buy a flash drive for this purpose considering these prices of SSD drives. There's no shortage of space in the console and it doesn't need to go inside another device like a microSD so who cares if it's a bit larger? SSDs can write video all day long without breaking a sweat but flash drives tend to get really hot in the same situation.

$29 Kingston 240 GB
$50 Sandisk 480 GB

You can get a full USB enclosure like this one for $9 and there are also bare SATA-to-USB adapters for $5.

I do hope Tesla adds a video player of some sort to the car itself so I don't have to bring the drive with me to a computer to review the footage.

• Informative
Reactions: Pismo and dhrivnak
The corruption appears to be a software issue, but SSDs are vastly more capable and reliable storage devices than any flash drive.

I don't see a good reason to buy a flash drive for this purpose considering these prices of SSD drives. There's no shortage of space in the console and it doesn't need to go inside another device like a microSD so who cares if it's a bit larger? SSDs can write video all day long without breaking a sweat but flash drives tend to get really hot in the same situation.

$29 Kingston 240 GB
$50 Sandisk 480 GB

You can get a full USB enclosure like this one for $9 and there are also bare SATA-to-USB adapters for $5.

I do hope Tesla adds a video player of some sort to the car itself so I don't have to bring the drive with me to a computer to review the footage.

The temp range specs on the drive you cite are much worse than say either the Samsung Fit Plus USB key or Samsung Pro SDcards also mentioned in sentry/dashcam threads

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/SA400S37_us.pdf

Kingston said:
Operating temperature 32°F~158°F

Extra funny since you brought up temp as a concern.

so it works in a much narrower range of temps, and costs more, and has 2 years less warranty.

Those would all be good reasons to buy a USB flash drive for this purpose instead of that SSD.