Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode keeps turning off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I’d seen a thread on this not so long ago but I can’t find it now.

Sentry mode on my September 2021 M3P keeps turning off. It’s set to be on at all places, so shouldn’t turn off at home, work or anywhere else. My battery hasn’t been below 20% for weeks. I can’t see any reason why it should turn off, but if I turn it on via the app or on screen in the car it turns off within 24 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?

only if you are in a location where it is disabled but even then if you turn on manually it should stay on unless the battery drops too low I would think.
I can't afford to have it turned on for 24 hours at a time though not at circa 5-7Kwh per day so I am not an expert.

Reactions: Pants
Where are you turning it on? With the latest UI on the controls page there is an option to turn sentry on/off. As the manual says:
Manually turning Sentry Mode on or off using the touchscreen or the mobile app overrides your Home, Work, or Favorite exclusion preferences until the next time you drive.
You have to go into Safety-> Sentry mode to change it permanently.

I look forward to your "Why is my range so poor" thread :)

Where are you turning it on? With the latest UI on the controls page there is an option to turn sentry on/off. As the manual says:

You have to go into Safety-> Sentry mode to change it permanently.

I look forward to your "Why is my range so poor" thread :)
Thank you for your very valuable advice. I did say in my post (in case you missed it) that I had set it from the screen. Photo of settings attached. It still turns itself off almost on a daily basis.

BTW, why is my range so poor???
E1380875-9AFB-4C27-9CC9-F0D0EB63F76F.jpeg

Thank you for your very valuable advice. I did say in my post (in case you missed it) that I had set it from the screen. Photo of settings attached. It still turns itself off almost on a daily basis.

BTW, why is my range so poor???View attachment 784500
He means because Sentry mode is using all of your battery but ironically it won't be because it keeps turning off.

have you tried a double button reboot? failing that book a service request. Tesla will do a remote diagnostic and probably diagnose and even fix remotely if its software so you probably will never have to actually go to the service centre unless there is a genuine hardware fault.

edit: a reformat of the memory stick is a another thing worth trying. maybe its turning off because it cannot write the data

Reactions: Pants
Having a similar problem with my MY. Formatted my card (lots of times), sometimes it shows Sentry is working, most of the time not.

Beats me.

Rich
have you tried replacing the stick altogether? I don't know what Tesla are using but there aren't really any USB sticks available on the market that are ideally suited to that task long term. So unless they commissioned something bespoke (which I doubt) some may be on the way out.
Or maybe just faulty. A usb card reader with a Sandisk extreme endurance microSD is the most robust solution for writing video over and over and over. That task will will wear out most flash storage in a matter of months. Those of us with pre-memory stick cars learned all this the hard way.

He means because Sentry mode is using all of your battery but ironically it won't be because it keeps turning off.

have you tried a double button reboot? failing that book a service request. Tesla will do a remote diagnostic and probably diagnose and even fix remotely if its software so you probably will never have to actually go to the service centre unless there is a genuine hardware fault.

edit: a reformat of the memory stick is a another thing worth trying. maybe its turning off because it cannot write the data
Thanks for that. I’ve tried the double button reboot but that didn’t work. I’ll format the memory stick tomorrow, and if that doesn’t solve it I’ll book a service request.

I did say in my post (in case you missed it) that there are two places on the screen you can set it :)

There are quite a few threads if you search.Some seem to get fixed with a reboot, while others seemed to be due to a particular firmware version. What version do you have?

I thought I’d seen a thread on this not so long ago but I can’t find it now.

Sentry mode on my September 2021 M3P keeps turning off. It’s set to be on at all places, so shouldn’t turn off at home, work or anywhere else. My battery hasn’t been below 20% for weeks. I can’t see any reason why it should turn off, but if I turn it on via the app or on screen in the car it turns off within 24 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I’ve been experiencing this lately as well. Second time that I’ve had to manually turn it on from my phone. All my settings have never been changed. May be related to an update. I’m on 2022.4.5.17 M3LR 2021

I’ve been experiencing this lately as well. Second time that I’ve had to manually turn it on from my phone. All my settings have never been changed. May be related to an update. I’m on 2022.4.5.17 M3LR 2021
If you turn it on from your phone it will reset the next time you drive. Double check that it is switched on in the sentry screen - not just the front controls screen.

@ChaoticNeutral - I also have 2022.44.30 (though not .10) on a Model 3 Performance, early 2020 model. Similarly, Sentry mode won't stay on - it turns off whenever I leave the car. I've tried reformatting the drive (it's a Samsung Endurance SD card in a USB reader) and performing a couple of reboots but to no effect. I have used Sentry successfully for many months and it's not done this before.

Tempted to raise a service request, but I'll wait for an update and see if it still happens then.

@ChaoticNeutral - I also have 2022.44.30 (though not .10) on a Model 3 Performance, early 2020 model. Similarly, Sentry mode won't stay on - it turns off whenever I leave the car. I've tried reformatting the drive (it's a Samsung Endurance SD card in a USB reader) and performing a couple of reboots but to no effect. I have used Sentry successfully for many months and it's not done this before.

Tempted to raise a service request, but I'll wait for an update and see if it still happens then.
You ought to report it. Its only when lots of people report issues that they know they are there and fix them.

Reactions: init6
Any updates on this? This has started happening to my 2021 MY.

I noticed I have to turn on sentry mode now everytime I leave the car or turn it on from the app when it turns off.

Tried rebooting the system multiple times but still to no avail.

Thanks.