Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Launcher Not Accessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

So, I have a brand new fast USB 128GB thumb drive in my Tesla Model 3, in the USB port on the right next to where the passive charging mat plugs in.

At first it worked okay, but my Sentry Mode icon (upper right of monitor) keeps going away. I may get a sentry report, but I can't launch the viewer as one normally would.

Anyone know what's going on? I also can't format the USB drive. I had to format this in my girlfriend's Tesla Model 3.

I may try her drive to see if it makes a difference, or is something possibly wrong with my car's Sentry Mode or USB interface since I can't launch the viewer?

All comments are welcome. Not sure what to do from here. I'll try a few things in the meantime.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Well, having two Model 3s to check came in handy. I checked my USB drive (same as hers) in her car, and the launcher (when it finally came up) has a grey x. Touching it gives me an endless load screen.

Her USB drive launches fine in my car, and I can see her Sentry Mode footage.

Hopefully this is just a case of a bad USB thumb drive. I'm gonna replace it and see what happens.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Switching Sentry Mode footage with your SO would be a great way to mess up their minds.

LOL!! I'm totally going to do this, after recording myself doing something silly! :D Credit to you for the idea! Halloween is coming, so I could see creating spooky 'Sentry Events' for your Tesla-owning SO or swapping drives. :)

On the other hand, this could be entirely too scary depending on one's skill with practical effects, hehe.

Last edited:
Update:

Well, I got the replacement USB thumb drive (128GB). I still cannot format my drive in my own car, but I can format it in the girlfriend's Model 3.

I tried formatting as exFAT and that didn't help. Couldn't see the drive or record anything.

Anyone think it's time to call Tesla Roadside Assistance? I'm not sure what to do at this point and don't really want to lose Sentry Mode. Thanks!

Update:

Well, I got the replacement USB thumb drive (128GB). I still cannot format my drive in my own car, but I can format it in the girlfriend's Model 3.

I tried formatting as exFAT and that didn't help. Couldn't see the drive or record anything.

Anyone think it's time to call Tesla Roadside Assistance? I'm not sure what to do at this point and don't really want to lose Sentry Mode. Thanks!

I thought they had to be formatted FAT32, not exFAT? Also, there are a lot of articles about knockoff USB drives...flash memory in general. Hard to discern sometimes too. Might not be “you”...or yours could just be at that lower tolerance/variance limit where it’s not workable.

I thought they had to be formatted FAT32, not exFAT? Also, there are a lot of articles about knockoff USB drives...flash memory in general. Hard to discern sometimes too. Might not be “you”...or yours could just be at that lower tolerance/variance limit where it’s not workable.

Yeah I'm not sure but it went down again. I was at a market and boom, no Sentry Mode. I tried exFAT but I didn't see an option for FAT32. Maybe I need a third party program or something beyond just Windows 10?

I was able to format the drive, but Sentry Mode keeps ghosting me.

Yeah I'm not sure but it went down again. I was at a market and boom, no Sentry Mode. I tried exFAT but I didn't see an option for FAT32. Maybe I need a third party program or something beyond just Windows 10?

I was able to format the drive, but Sentry Mode keeps ghosting me.

I had that happen too, used a 3rd party util on Win10 (guiformat?) to format it again. Either way though, the USB flash drive was so hot to the touch that I figured I need to swap for an SD card. Once I did that, never had that issue again. Of course, the driver's side repeater camera promptly needed replaced...

I had that happen too, used a 3rd party util on Win10 (guiformat?) to format it again. Either way though, the USB flash drive was so hot to the touch that I figured I need to swap for an SD card. Once I did that, never had that issue again. Of course, the driver's side repeater camera promptly needed replaced...

Yeah, the drive gets hot and Sentry Mode goes away. Are you saying you used an SD card and that worked fine?

About formatting, I guess FAT32 and exFAT are both fine. From the manual;

"To correctly save and retrieve video footage, Model 3 requires the USB flash drive to be formatted as exFAT, FAT 32 (for Windows), MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4. NTFS is currently not supported."

Also;

"Although not a comprehensive list, Tesla has tested the following flash drives and confirmed that they meet the requirements for using Dashcam and Sentry Mode:
• SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive
• Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive"

The drive listed and linked below is what I bought for myself and my girlfriend's LR AWD. She's not having any issues. I may just buy one of those exact listed drives to see if my luck changes.

SanDisk Ultra Flair 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ73-128G-G46,Black

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CH1PJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, the drive gets hot and Sentry Mode goes away. Are you saying you used an SD card and that worked fine?

About formatting, I guess FAT32 and exFAT are both fine. From the manual;

"To correctly save and retrieve video footage, Model 3 requires the USB flash drive to be formatted as exFAT, FAT 32 (for Windows), MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4. NTFS is currently not supported."

Also;

"Although not a comprehensive list, Tesla has tested the following flash drives and confirmed that they meet the requirements for using Dashcam and Sentry Mode:
• SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive
• Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive"

The drive listed and linked below is what I bought for myself and my girlfriend's LR AWD. She's not having any issues. I may just buy one of those exact listed drives to see if my luck changes.

SanDisk Ultra Flair 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ73-128G-G46,Black

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CH1PJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the help!

Yup. SD card in one of these...https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-3-0-memory-card-reader/5787406.p?skuId=5787406

• Informative
Reactions: Spacep0d

One of the firmeware updates changed the format of the USB drive from Fat32 to exFat. I dont remember which one, but there was a point when tesla made exFat a supported option, then when they added the ability to format it in the car, I am fairly certain it formats as exFat in the car.

I also use a SD card in an adapter (an endurance type made for repeated recording).

One of the firmeware updates changed the format of the USB drive from Fat32 to exFat. I dont remember which one, but there was a point when tesla made exFat a supported option, then when they added the ability to format it in the car, I am fairly certain it formats as exFat in the car.

I also use a SD card in an adapter (an endurance type made for repeated recording).

Yeah, I remember this too. I think I was too lazy and just went with FAT32. I figure I'll need to take the SD card out again anyway to put more music on it, if I have time I can deal with it then...