Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Live Camera Access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone with a Model S before the ridiculous "yoke" steering contraption have Sentry Mode Live?
I have a 2019 Raven Model S and it appears they excluded my car from that feature on the latest update.
I have a 2019 MS April build and do not have Sentry Mode Live button. I think it's only for 2021 builds for MS. I haven't found anything that indicates when it might be available for earlier builds.

Sorry if I missed it. Anyone notice that it won't work on Wifi? It just spins and says Error and then has a "Refresh" button.
Once I got off my home's wifi and just use LTE connects immediately.

Edit. Actually tried two iPhones and both only work when off my home wifi. iPhone 7, iPhone 11, T-Mobile and Verizon.
Same for me. Fine on 5G but won't load on WiFi iPhone connection.

• Informative
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Yesterday parked at a free public charging station I checked mine a few times while at the gym and saw nothing. Did get a Sentry event when I got back to my car.

Seems that Live View is mostly a worthless "parlor trick" (kinda like Smart Summon). Since it doesn't send a Notification and no one is going to be watching it full time what REAL good is it? In other words other than showing it off what practical use does it offer?

Does anyone have any real world examples of it being a productive feature?

Reactions: BCNY
Yesterday parked at a free public charging station I checked mine a few times while at the gym and saw nothing. Did get a Sentry event when I got back to my car.

Seems that Live View is mostly a worthless "parlor trick" (kinda like Smart Summon). Since it doesn't send a Notification and no one is going to be watching it full time what REAL good is it? In other words other than showing it off what practical use does it offer?

Does anyone have any real world examples of it being a productive feature?

Well...I used it on Halloween and asked kids "ARE ANY OF YOU TRANSFORMERS". It was a hit.

Reactions: delfonique
Ok, well that explains it. Thanks!

My latest software update (yesterday) took me to 36.5.5, not 36.8 and I don't see any option to update to 36.8

Is that common, that the latest versions aren't always available?
Thank you so much for sharing this with clarity. I came on specifically looking for this information. My car too just updated to 36.5.1, so I am greatly anticipating 36.5.5 then 36.5.8.

Reactions: DesmoDog
Installed 2021.36.8 yesterday on my 2018 AWD LR M3 with Premium Connectivity. Excited to check out app view of Sentry Mode. Yes, I’ve done the in-car set up with security. On the app, the car image appears with the four quadrants, the front is “highlighted.” However, all I get is a spinner and no visual. Car is parked in my garage. Does it need to be in a strange place for some reason? Any ideas? [Edit: Both the car and the app are on WiFi.]
How is your Sentry Mode set up? My car is set to turn on Sentry Mode whenever locked, but I don't have my car lock at home because I park in my garage, so I would have to either change the settings or wait to not be at home.

How is your Sentry Mode set up? My car is set to turn on Sentry Mode whenever locked, but I don't have my car lock at home because I park in my garage, so I would have to either change the settings or wait to not be at home.
This is correct! I have mine off at home as well, and like you in a garage. I see no point for sentry mode at home in our situation.

Last edited:
This is correct! I have mine off at home as well, and like you in a garage. I see no point for sentry mode at home in our situation.

Sorry if I missed it. Anyone notice that it won't work on Wifi? It just spins and says Error and then has a "Refresh" button.
Once I got off my home's wifi and just use LTE connects immediately.

Edit. Actually tried two iPhones and both only work when off my home wifi. iPhone 7, iPhone 11, T-Mobile and Verizon.
If you're using a cell carrier like Google Fi which has VPN enabled by default, live view doesn't work. Add the Tesla app to the VPN exceptions list and it will start working.

That’s not it. Works on cellular just not when connected to Wi-Fi. Don’t have Google Fi.

lu
I tried a couple of things. I can get live view to work on both Wi-Fi and LTE/5G. When I turned on my home VPN, and I'm on Wi-Fi I get the error and "refresh" button.
When I'm away from home and in LTE or 5G, I have no issues connecting to live view. If I turn on my VPN, I can no longer connect to live view.

As far as I know, Google Fi is part of the T-Mobile network and requires you to turn the built in VPN on. It is not 'always on', so this is not the issue.

Is this only for the newest teslas? I have a 2018 X with premium connectivity and 2021.40.6, but no live view option in the security settings screen. If so, pretty disappointing since I don’t know what hardware would prevent it from working. I don’t have a speaker, but that shouldn’t have anything to do with the cameras.

Is this only for the newest teslas? I have a 2018 X with premium connectivity and 2021.40.6, but no live view option in the security settings screen. If so, pretty disappointing since I don’t know what hardware would prevent it from working. I don’t have a speaker, but that shouldn’t have anything to do with the cameras.
This was posted by the member "Speedy" on Nov 8:
"So far, it appears Sentry Live is only available on cars with the inside camera, i.e. Model 3, Y and refreshed Model S. Pre-refresh Model S and X appear to be out of luck for now. This appears true for regular owners, as well as the FSD beta testers. The inside camera shouldn't be required for Sentry Live, so we can only surmise that the programmers inadvertently made it a gate for the Sentry Live feature. Hopefully they realize this and put out a fix soon."

Reactions: slevit1md