Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode - M3 - Excessive Drain 2019.36.2.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally do not use Sentry Mode when at home in my assigned covered parking spot, but last night I had to park elsewhere and used Sentry Mode. This morning when I went to move my car, under version 2019.36.2.4, I lost a whopping 15 miles. Anyone else noticing an excessive drain when using Sentry Mode? Charge loss = loss of money in my brain, and feel like it should be addressed regardless of what version is running. To me it's a deterrent to use such a significantly important option of my car's security based on how much battery drain occurs when used.

Considering you parked at a different spot, were more events recorded this time? Due to the increase in activity, that could've let the car not fall asleep.

Yes actually there were more incidents recorded, so I can see how that could create drain, but it still seems excessive. Perhaps 15 miles isn't a big deal relative to the total amount of charge I have, but 15 miles is about what I drive one way to school so i start to equate... whelp there goes one trip to school down the drain.

I normally do not use Sentry Mode when at home in my assigned covered parking spot, but last night I had to park elsewhere and used Sentry Mode. This morning when I went to move my car, under version 2019.36.2.4, I lost a whopping 15 miles. Anyone else noticing an excessive drain when using Sentry Mode? Charge loss = loss of money in my brain, and feel like it should be addressed regardless of what version is running. To me it's a deterrent to use such a significantly important option of my car's security based on how much battery drain occurs when used.
You didn't give the interval of time between parking and leaving in the morning, but let's suppose it was from 7:00 pm to 7:00 am, or 12 hours. 15 miles of drain for 12 hours of Sentry is in line with what many have observed and reported.

Yes actually there were more incidents recorded, so I can see how that could create drain, but it still seems excessive. Perhaps 15 miles isn't a big deal relative to the total amount of charge I have, but 15 miles is about what I drive one way to school so i start to equate... whelp there goes one trip to school down the drain.

As others have mentioned, you didn't say how many hours it was parked so that definitely is a factor. When I use Sentry, I see about a loss of about 1mi per hour. And that's when no incidents occur. I think the drain is excessive because like you, I have a short commute so when I see a loss of 10-15 miles, I think "damn, that's a days worth of driving". So I only use Sentry when I'm either charging at home or parked somewhere like if I'm having dinner or something like that. I have cameras in the front of my home so Sentry isn't really necessary. Hopefully in the future Tesla can improve the power consumption while using Sentry.

I had my Model 3 parked in front of the hotel we were staying at in the Presidio of San Francisco. I averaged about 21 sentry events per day and lost about 23 miles of range per day. In total, I lost about 69 miles over the 3 days the car was parked there.....

The computer is on and all cameras are always recording. The ”event” triggers a save of the previous few minutes to sentry event folder. If there are no events, it is still recording and saving the videos when sentry mode is on.

Other than the flash of headlights and screen turning on briefly, battery usage shouldn't be much different with or without events. About 1 mile per hour (close to 2km for us in metric countries).

This isn't really what I would call excessive, maybe 3-400 watts, but that's including all the usual other sources of phantom drain.

• Helpful
Reactions: calidreamz808