Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: Model S - AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know or have seen the display message "X detected sentry events" that shows up on the instrument panel on AP 2.5+ cars? Would be great if this mode at least did that. Even better would be if it could send push notifications to the Tesla app saying it detected something.

Anybody know or have seen the display message "X detected sentry events" that shows up on the instrument panel on AP 2.5+ cars? Would be great if this mode at least did that. Even better would be if it could send push notifications to the Tesla app saying it detected something.
It shows that notification. Useless without recording ability other than deterrence. Hopefully hw3 first.

Others who have privileged access to their cars have suggested the video goes nowhere. I'm inclined to believe them. I'm not aware of an AP2 owner that has requested footage yet, but I expect such a query will quickly get hopelessly lost in the dysfunction of Tesla support.

I really wouldn't blame them if they simply said we're not going to upload video over the onboard LTE modem due to the cost. But like with many things Tesla they can't/won't make a clear statement of their position and stick with it.

Others who have privileged access to their cars have suggested the video goes nowhere. I'm inclined to believe them. I'm not aware of an AP2 owner that has requested footage yet, but I expect such a query will quickly get hopelessly lost in the dysfunction of Tesla support.
Can you elaborate? What is the use of the video goes nowhere? Not on Tesla cloud, not on USB?

I've thought about this actually, but unfortunately, I think the truth is that sending the footage or even acknowledging it, probably puts Tesla in a position as they expose themselves to privacy concerns, subpoenas, liability and even an influx of people wanting to know what type of pigeon took a dump on their hood. Case and point, see how hard it is to get a city to release traffic cam footage of an intersection at a given time.... USB storage can't come soon enough to AP2

I've thought about this actually, but unfortunately, I think the truth is that sending the footage or even acknowledging it, probably puts Tesla in a position as they expose themselves to privacy concerns, subpoenas, liability and even an influx of people wanting to know what type of pigeon took a dump on their hood. Case and point, see how hard it is to get a city to release traffic cam footage of an intersection at a given time.... USB storage can't come soon enough to AP2
Sending the footage to a remote server is essential to security. Otherwise whoever who broke into your car can just take the USB key and the evidence with them. If Tesla doesn’t want to hold it, then let people store it on a cloud service of their choice, Dropbox, Google Drive, microsoft cloud etc...

Can you elaborate? What is the use of the video goes nowhere? Not on Tesla cloud, not on USB?

What is the use indeed.

Like I said, I’m just repeating what I’ve read on here from others that appear trustworthy. Wish I could remember the thread, you might be able to find it if you search a bit.

Generally speaking, I find it difficult to believe that Tesla is storing terabytes of data from tens of thousands of cars that they uploaded at their cost via a cellular network. On nothing but their good will.

Sending the footage to a remote server is essential to security. Otherwise whoever who broke into your car can just take the USB key and the evidence with them. If Tesla doesn’t want to hold it, then let people store it on a cloud service of their choice, Dropbox, Google Drive, microsoft cloud etc...
I agree... and I wish they'd do that.

I also receive Sentry mode (April 2017, AP 2.0). Someone know how to test it ? The release note don't talk about USB, it just said send footage to "Tesla cloud". I can activate the mode and when I approach and "shake" the car, the screen light up with HAL showing but I don't get notification nor video. How is it supposed to work on AP 2.0 ?

I also receive Sentry mode (April 2017, AP 2.0). Someone know how to test it ? The release note don't talk about USB, it just said send footage to "Tesla cloud". I can activate the mode and when I approach and "shake" the car, the screen light up with HAL showing but I don't get notification nor video. How is it supposed to work on AP 2.0 ?

After much frustration and zero documentation this is what I found. USB drive (flash or external) formatted FAT32 with a folder on the root named 'TeslaCam' then you'll get useless 595byte mp4 files until Tesla fixes it.
Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!