Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode motion tearing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Any idea what could be causing the artefact below? This happens usually in sentry mode only (as far I’ve seen) and only where the object is moving it will get all pixelated which I think is referred to as tearing. I am using a 128GB enduro SD card via USB adaptor. I am on 2021.24.4 software version. Thanks!

CB7B4897-63B7-4F29-B7FA-571447A4352C.jpeg

Try a better SD card. Samsung Pro Endurance, 128GB. Check if your USB2SD adapter is USB 3.0 or higher. If not, change this as well. For example Ugreen.
Both available at Amazon.

Try a better SD card. Samsung Pro Endurance, 128GB. Check if your USB2SD adapter is USB 3.0 or higher. If not, change this as well. For example Ugreen.
Both available at Amazon.
I’m using this as my SD card:

SanDisk HIGH ENDURANCE Video Monitoring for Dashcams & Home Monitoring 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adaptor, Up to 100 MB/s read and 40 MB/s Write, Class 10, U3, V30, White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY23...abc_7RHH8WB4FWRR47D1NWC8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And this as my USB:

SanDisk MobileMate UHS-I microSD Reader/Writer USB 3.0 Reader https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G5JV...abc_GP7Y4CEFRP6JBKYZAQ4C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The UGREEN adaptor which has multiple inputs kept causing issues and I could not format in the car so switched over to the above USB

I’m using this as my SD card:

SanDisk HIGH ENDURANCE Video Monitoring for Dashcams & Home Monitoring 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adaptor, Up to 100 MB/s read and 40 MB/s Write, Class 10, U3, V30, White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY23...abc_7RHH8WB4FWRR47D1NWC8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And this as my USB:

SanDisk MobileMate UHS-I microSD Reader/Writer USB 3.0 Reader https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G5JV...abc_GP7Y4CEFRP6JBKYZAQ4C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The UGREEN adaptor which has multiple inputs kept causing issues and I could not format in the car so switched over to the above USB
The SanDisk High Endurance are also perfect!
In any case, SD prices have dropped so dramatically the last 3 years, there's no reason anymore to be stingy on these cards, in other words, take the better Endurance cards.

The Ugreen adapter with two SD slots gives me the advantage of using 2 SD cards onto one single available USB-A port. One for Dashcam/Sentry and one for my mp3’s. You are right, formatting from the car is a problem, but I have a Windows PC to do so. Reformatting is hardly needed.

I was also using a similar multi input adapter, with an endurance SD.

I wonder if this was causing my sentry failures? I don't see why but maybe.
A great device in theory as it has the USB C end aswell but it kept corrupting and not recording sentry events, so I switched over and now it’s fine and allows me to format if things get flaky really easily (which I tend to do following a new software update). Just getting this weird artefact since updating to 2021.24.x

Reactions: Nick77
So I viewed the videos on my Mac and it still has this artefact. I have swapped the SD card out for an identical one so let’s see if this continues. I’ll keep the thread updated.

View attachment 705579
View attachment 705580
Did you ever figure out what was causing the artefacts in your videos?

I'm having same issues with my sentry mode footage,
I'm using "SanDisk Extreme PRO MicroSDXC 170MBs Class 10" with the MobileMate card reader. Wondering if it could be the reader.

Did you ever figure out what was causing the artefacts in your videos?

I'm having same issues with my sentry mode footage,
I'm using "SanDisk Extreme PRO MicroSDXC 170MBs Class 10" with the MobileMate card reader. Wondering if it could be the reader.
No, unfortunately not. I thought I solved it with another adapter but it returned again. I’ll update this thread if I spot a trend but for now the only thing that’s been consistent is that I’m using the San disk endurance card. Might try a SSD at some point

No, unfortunately not. I thought I solved it with another adapter but it returned again. I’ll update this thread if I spot a trend but for now the only thing that’s been consistent is that I’m using the San disk endurance card. Might try a SSD at some point
That sucks. I was literally about to buy another reader as well. It's more of an annoyance for now, but knowing my luck, something will happen and it'll have artefacts on the footage when I need it most.

I originally wanted to go the SSD route, but I read micro SD + adapter was the better option for longevity.

As I'm typing this I just had the idea; I'll plug back in the usb drive that Tesla included and see if it has similar issues

Totally agree. I was gonna say just the same thing.

There are some industrial SD cards, that use SLC rather than MLC as on the consumer cards. If a SD card is a must and endurance important, these industrial SLC SD cards are a good compromise.
With regards to operating temp of SSD's vs SD card in UK climate, would there be much of an issue? IIRC sd cards have a better operating temp range than SSD's.

I placed my micro sd card into another reader, still getting tearing/artefacts, I then plugged in the original USB drive (rebranded Samsung bar) that came with the car...same issue. Also noticed the rear camera has issues with chromatic aberration/purple fringing. Wondering if this is normal, or could be down to media storage or camera issue

vlcsnap-2021-10-28-15h11m52s785 (2).png

With regards to operating temp of SSD's vs SD card in UK climate, would there be much of an issue? IIRC sd cards have a better operating temp range than SSD's.

I placed my micro sd card into another reader, still getting tearing/artefacts, I then plugged in the original USB drive (rebranded Samsung bar) that came with the car...same issue. Also noticed the rear camera has issues with chromatic aberration/purple fringing. Wondering if this is normal, or could be down to media storage or camera issue

View attachment 726645

I have used a SSD all through summer, car sat in the sun all day and never had an issue. Most are rated up to 70 degrees C.

If the cars own electronics can cope, so will a SSD.

I doubt the chromatic aberration is a storage issue, all suffer from this to some extent. I think you just found a very good example of it, short focal length and high contrast. I'd say, that's just normal for the quality of camera used in the car.

The other corruption issue could well be caused by the media not being able to be written to fast enough.

Reactions: init6
Tesla use non photographic filters and heavy image processing in the cameras feeds to push the images as much as they can so the fringing can be pretty much anything. The cameras are for autopilot use in all viewing conditions - any photorealism is not by design.

Reactions: init6