Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode no longer storing older driving videos?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I pulled out my TeslaCam USB drive hoping to find some Sentry Mode videos of an interesting area we drove through. To my dismay, the SentryClips folder only contains videos of when the car was parked, and the RecentClips folder only contains driving videos from the last hour or two from today!

This behavior seems different than how Sentry Mode worked in the past. Before, SentryMode stored every recording whether the car was parked or moving. Perhaps this change is to reduce storage requirements but I'm using a 256 GB USB drive. Of course, Tesla doesn't know the size of everyone's storage medium but I thought they also recently added the ability to automatically overwrite old files, so why bother worrying about storage. I wish they would bring back full-time recording and save all videos of the car in motion.

I have noticed the same thing too, I have a 500GB SSD plugged in and went to check some recent footage it only had the last drive saved. The SSD had only 60GB used, I would've hoped the extra space would allow for a lot of recent footage just in case I forget to save a clip.

The "RecentClips" only saves the last hour's worth of of video--and that's an hour on the clock, not total video time (example, you drive for :30 minutes, it'll save the whole thing; but, when you go drive again more than :30 minutes later, the >1 hour old stuff [i.e., everything in this example] gets deleted.

I'm not sure what the OP means re "SentryClips" (but, of course, it's an old post from over a year & a half ago). Mine is working normally, i.e., saving Sentry clips until space is required....

Reactions: jlv1
Within the "TeslaCam" folder, there are three sub-folders: Recent Clips, Saved Clips, and Sentry Clips. The footage in Recent Clips
constantly loops in a 60-minute cycle when the cameras are activated. Therefore, the footage is constantly being overwritten every hour unless the footage is saved. When an event is recorded, one video is recorded for each of the front, rear (available on vehicles manufactured after approximately February 2018), left, and right cameras.

Saved footage is located in either the Saved Clips or Sentry Clips folder. Footage in the Saved Clips folder contains all saved recordings from dashcam, which have been manually saved by touching the dashcam icon on the touchscreen. Sentry Clips contains all saved footage from Sentry Mode events, which have been automatically saved when the Alert or Alarm state was triggered. Once footage of a particular event is saved, the latest 10 minutes of video is archived in your flash drive labeled with a unique timestamp.

Your drive can fill up quickly.

Before, SentryMode stored every recording whether the car was parked or moving.

Sentry Mode never worked that way. As the previous reply says, SentryClips only contains footage from Sentry Mode events, which only happen when parked. When an event occurs, Sentry Mode moves (not copies) the last 10 minutes of dashcam video into SentryClips, so if you were parked for less than 10 minutes, some of the that footage will include driving.