Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode not recording events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y on 5/27 and I love it so far.. I set up a 500GB SSD drive for the cameras and Sentry mode and the car records just fine while I'm driving but I can't get Sentry mode to work.. I tried to approach my car without my phone or key and tried to act like I'm breaking into the car and when I tried to review my Sentry Camera recordings, there were no recordings in the SENTRY folder. I verified all the settings and they are set up correctly and sentry mode shows active on the APP when I walk away from the car except for home as home is excluded from sentry mode. Does anybody have any idea why Sentry mode isn't recording anything???
20210605_211044.jpg
20210605_211431.jpg

Last edited:
The Tesla vehicle has to lock when you walk away with the phone for Sentry mode to be active. If you have the Tesla vehicle to not lock automatically when parked at your home location then Sentry mode will not be active.
It locks.. no issues there.. I set it up to honk when it locks. It's locked and I went to the car to try to open the doors without the key, shake the car, walk around it, try to open the hatch and nothing was recorded..

I had the same issue plus autopilot not working since delivery day. I requested for mobile service which is scheduled for tomorrow. I got a software update tonight and seemed to fix the sentry mode issue. First time that my app hasn't notified me about sentry mode not being able to stay active.

I had the same issue plus autopilot not working since delivery day. I requested for mobile service which is scheduled for tomorrow. I got a software update tonight and seemed to fix the sentry mode issue. First time that my app hasn't notified me about sentry mode not being able to stay active.
I got an update too but it did not solve the problem.. Just tested it again and same result. When I try to open the locked door without bluetooth on my phone off, all I get is a message on the screen to use the key. I tried opening all doors, acted like I was going to hit the car etc.. No recording :(

What was the outcome?
they blamed it on my aftermarket SSD not being correctly formatted and that it works fine with the factory USB stick..

They also didn't address the original fitment concern that was the reason for the service visit. I complained about the A-pillar panel not being flush with the fender on the drivers side and they adjusted b-pillar trim on the passenger side... WTH?
16232374749566932048808409753144.jpg
16232375243395975059239407800623.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
they blamed it on my aftermarket SSD not being correctly formatted and that it works fine with the factory USB stick..

They also didn't address the original fitment concern that was the reason for the service visit. I complained about the A-pillar panel not being flush with the fender on the drivers side and they adjusted b-pillar trim on the passenger side... WTH?
View attachment 671209View attachment 671210
I tried using an aftermarket SSD and had the same problem. I ended up buying a higher quality SSD and that fixed the problem. The cheap drives don’t work correctly with Tesla software. At least from my experience.

I have the opposite problem - I get anywhere from 400-1,000 “events” per night in my parking garage, and I have to format my 500GB SSD weekly to prevent it from filling up.

Want to split the difference with me? 😂

I tried using an aftermarket SSD and had the same problem. I ended up buying a higher quality SSD and that fixed the problem. The cheap drives don’t work correctly with Tesla software. At least from my experience.
I have a Samsung T7 SSD which is very fast and high quality..
I did try the provided USB stick and it is not recording Sentry either

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY