Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode not recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel sure this is a new car version of code, which is likely buggy. 101.6 was released more than a month ago. When you get your first update, usually within the first month, I bet your Sentry will work. Exiting vehicles are already up to 2022.16.x.x versions. Make sure you have Software, Advanced selected and keep your car connected to WiFi when parked as much as possible.

Upvote 0
I notice mine comes up with an image, but no menu in the upper left corner to select clips. I tapped on the screen a couple of times, and it changed but still the three bars menu was missing. I tapped some more and eventually the menu selection came up. I then had a hard time closing the viewer. You have to drag it down from the exact top center of the window, and I had trouble doing that. Anyway, some programmer has obviously been improving the interface and screwed it up. Try tapping and patience to try to get it working if this is your experience. You can always remove the card and view it on a computer, which is the way I do multiple operation on the files anyway, but I do occasionally review one clip when I am suspect of something.

Upvote 0
My Car has an X instead of the red circle on the camera for the past month, I cannot view or record sentry mode events. If I restart the system by holding down both buttons, it works after that, but then is again disabled when I enter the car again. It's not the drive, I've tried two and the same thing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

Upvote 0
My Car has an X instead of the red circle on the camera for the past month, I cannot view or record sentry mode events. If I restart the system by holding down both buttons, it works after that, but then is again disabled when I enter the car again. It's not the drive, I've tried two and the same thing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

Upvote 0
I have found that firmware updates have tendency to cause dash cam to stop, showing that X. Remove the USB drive and plug back in again to restart. I usually reformat on Security menu after as well.

PS-I just got 2022.20 which caused red X as usual. But after resetting per above, the Sentry event video seems to be fixed.

Upvote 0
I had to have my USB module replaced by mobile repair guys. No issues since.

Upvote 0
I have very little confidence in the Tesla Sentry and Dashcam features. My 2021 M3P often had issues with recording not working. Sometimes I’d get the red X and reformatting the Tesla USB drive got it going again. Turns out my M3P had a bad harness connector that was said to be the cause of all the glitches I was having. But after that was fixed I got the red X once again.

While my M3P was in the shop for about a week I had a new 2022 M3 Long Range as a loaner. After 2 days the red X came on with the loaner. Reformatted the drive to get it working again.

I read that it was a known issue and recent software update fixed that. Wrong. My new 2022 Model S with latest software also has had red X failure. Note all 3 cars were using the provided USB drive that came with the cars.

Not having a working dash cam can cost you a fortune. It can literally be life-changing. Due to the unreliable dash cam feature in my M3P, I purchased an aftermarket dash cam which I installed in it. I was not planning on installing one in my model S but I will be installing it since the model S also has the same intermittent issue. It would really suck to be in a serious accident and then look down and see you have that little red X that means nothing was recorded and you could get screwed over as a result off that. Dash cam footage is too important to trust to buggy hardware. I recommend having an aftermarket dash cam as a backup to the Tesla cams. On a side note, always use the more expensive “endurance” type memory cards in dash cams. Standard memory cards can fail quickly with the demands of constantly recording video.

Upvote 0
This is a sad report. My 2020 dashcam and sentry work exactly as advertised -- no problems. You need to make sure and stop the dashcam before ever removing the USB drive by long - pressing the icon until the "red" "active" indicator goes away to stop the dashcam, or you risk data corruption on the USB drive not only for new recordings, but also the recordings that are already on the drive.

Upvote 0