Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the fix for my problem. Sentry was turned on with the red button displaying, but record, the button to the left of record was not on. It also has to be on for Sentry to work.
This solved the issue for me. Thanks. The Updated owners manual alludes a bit vaguely that sentry mode requires that dashcam feature is not paused. A bit confusing since dashcam seems like an on/off feature to me. I guess sentry mode code requires dashcam mode to be on. Could have sworn in past software versions that enabling sentry mode did everything for user.

Not got my car yet (less than two weeks), but advice I’ve seen is when doing an update, make sure the memory stick isn’t connected.

When sentry first came out, in fact, until not so long a go, the only way of viewing recorded footage was to remove the media card.

I can say from experience, that media corruptions when removing and plugging back in were not uncommon - you had to disable dashcam (press and hold until it went grey - don't know about v11) but even then the media could get corrupted and require a reformat to fix. Touch wood, I've not had corrupted media since not having to remove it and I having done nearly 60 software updates, I am not going to start removing media every time an update comes along.

Tesla do recommend removing media for a reboot (it was one of the diagnostic steps when our MCU failed), but its only to rule out cases when problem media might cause an issue with reboot. If your media is still good, I have seen nor heard evidence of it causing any issue with an update or reboot (which I manually do at every update). I have once had a problem/stuck update and removing media did not fix it - it required Tesla remote to sort.