Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry Mode Not Getting New Alerts on Touchscreen

I park my car in a parking garage at work, with moderate activity throughout the day.
When I am done with work I usually get in the car and see the “new sentry mode events “notification on the screen .
However after what seems like the latest software update, when I get in the car after work the past few days there aren’t any sentry mode events .
It records like one big clip. No small clips with the red marker that shows where the activity was.
And no notification on the touchscreen.

Has this happened to anyone?
What is the fix for this?
BTW: I have a 2022 Model Y with the Tesla 128gb memory stick.

Thank you.

If reformatting the thumb drive does not fix Sentry mode the drive may be corrupted. This is a common issue with the Tesla USB thumb drive as it is not designed for use with read/write intensive applications such as video recording and dash cam use.

You would want to get an Endurance type microSD card (either Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB or Sandisk High Endurance 128GB or 256GB microSD card and a USB reader such as the Sandisk Mobile Mate reader. This combination has worked for ~2 years in my 2020 LRMY. (Sandisk also sells a Max Endurance microSD card for even longer life, probably longer than you would own your Tesla Model Y.) Anyway, using an Endurance type microSD card is the way.

thanks,
was thinking about getting a Samsung T7 2 TB SSD drive.
any advantage or disadvantage of a micro SD vs SSD?

also, I’m confused, as to what clips are ”saved” ? does the car automatic save the clips it thinks are important?
and i manually have to delete these clips myself correct?

thanks,
was thinking about getting a Samsung T7 2 TB SSD drive.
any advantage or disadvantage of a micro SD vs SSD?

also, I’m confused, as to what clips are ”saved” ? does the car automatic save the clips it thinks are important?
and i manually have to delete these clips myself correct?
The SSD obviously stores much more data. You would need to partition the SSD into 2 or more logical drives; one for Dashcam/Sentry Mode recordings and the other drive would be for your USB music files. (The Tesla software mounts the primary USB drive for its exclusive use with Sentry Mode/Dashcam recording and playback.) The SSD firmware manages read/write operations over the entire drive for maximum life. With an PRO/High Endurance or Max Endurance microSD card should last a long time too.

Dashcam: the Dashcam software captures one hour of video in its file. Dashcam only saves the 10 minute clip if you have an event such as a collision or if you have save clip on honk the horn enabled, also if you tap the Dashcam icon on the Tesla screen. Saved clips are stored until you delete them. The one hour video file is constantly being updated, overwritten while driving. Saved Dashcam clips are retained until you delete them or reformat the drive.

Sentry mode: Sentry Mode will save all logged Sentry Mode events until you delete them or reformat the drive.

A 128GB storage device is plenty big enough for Dashcam/Sentry mode recordings, can hold approximately 17 hours of Tesla Dashcam/Sentry Mode files. A 256GB storage device would hold approximately 34 hours of Tesla video recordings. Unless you have a music collection larger than ~128GB then a SSD such as the Samsung T2 may not offer much benefit over a 256GB microSD card; the Tesla USB data port(s) may not always function properly with an SSD.

SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam

Last edited:
Thank you for your explanation. Good go see some actual numbers.
It’s funny the conflicting things you read online.
Some say SSD is recommended by Tesla and is the best way to go, other articles/opinions say high endurance SD card is the way to.

Makes sense that the micro CD card will draw less lower and run more efficiently especially in a hot car sitting in the Florida sun where the inside of a car exceeds 90 degrees plus daily!

Would be curious to what other use for Sentry/dashcam and for how long you’ve used them(months, years)?

Would be curious to what other use for Sentry/dashcam and for how long you’ve used them(months, years)?
In my previous vehicle I installed front and rear dashcams. The microSD cards were not Endurance type data storage. The microSD card in the rear facing dash cam developed problems within a few months. I could reformat the card but it would only write, store a limited amount of data after that. Lesson learned.

• Informative
Reactions: Aviateur17
I get the notifications, too many actually. I looks like its recording every minute, even though Home is excluded.
Have you verified your home location is correct? There are other settings that can act differently if at, or not at, home. I cannot check that right now, but something like do not lock doors when at home? Have you tried any of these, because home should be home, so if sentry is still active when at home and it should not be, I would expect other settings using home to also have problems.

Have you verified your home location is correct? There are other settings that can act differently if at, or not at, home. I cannot check that right now, but something like do not lock doors when at home? Have you tried any of these, because home should be home, so if sentry is still active when at home and it should not be, I would expect other settings using home to also have problems.
I've verified in the map "home" is my address, when parked the app is at that address. Am i missing something?

I've verified in the map "home" is my address, when parked the app is at that address. Am i missing something?
Let me see if I can condense this so it does not become a TL;DR thing.

What's the saying in real estate? Location, location, location... Well in this scenario location may not be what you think.

On your laptop or computer, open maps.google.com in your browser and enter in your street address, where you live. You should see a red pin dropped on a map, zoom in and see your home and your neighbors. Where is the pin exactly? For me it is the center of my home as drawn on Google's map, but is that correct? You'd think so but it is not entirely accurate.

Right click on that pin and in the pop up menu you should see a set of coordinates appear at the top of that popup, left click on them to select and copy to the clipboard.

Open a new web browser window, go to maps.google.com and now paste in those coordinates instead of your address. Notice where the red drop pin is now shown. For me it is on the street at end of my driveway, not the center of my house like before. That is the real location being offered up by Google maps for your address. If you think about it, this makes sense since it comes from the vehicle they are driving around the neighborhoods do the street view and other stuff. They are not taking a location on your property, just on the street in front of your home.

Right click on that last dropped red pin at the end of your driveway (I assume, it is for me) and the last item in the pop up menu should be measure distance, select it. Now click where you park your car. It should show you the distance between the two locations. Is this distance large? More importantly, how close is your parked MY to your closest neighbor?

GPS location will have some degree of error, all depends on the quality of the fix. For my iPhone it is around 16 feet when I checked, so location shown on my iPhone can be off by as much as 16 feet, no idea what it is like for the MY, I do not have access to that data on my MY. But if you are parked close to the property line with your neighbor, or inside a garage, could the error in location place you at their address instead? Or does it increase the distance from that pin drop on the street? Tall buildings, tree cover, etc. can hamper the GPS accuracy, less satellites in view, less accurate position, more chance for your MY to think it is somewhere it is not.

To hazard a guess, the MY is probably using the GPS coordinates defined as your home address to define the center of a circle, and then using some distance from that point to define the radius of that circle, aka a geofence. If the current GPS location of your MY is inside this circle, then it is home, otherwise it is not. No idea if this is how they implemented it, or if they just find the street address based on your current GPS and use that instead. When you have access to a navigation database, more than one way to implement this check. For simpler installations with no navigation database, it is usually some sort of circle or box drawn around a position to fence in the okay area, and if you venture outside this fenced area, then trigger an alarm or whatever.

I know that if you press the drop pin on the Tesla navigation screen while parked at home, it seems to update your driver profile with that location, I can watch the screen saving/updating my profile after I press it so perhaps that is overriding the navigation GPS position with this position? If not, then I'm not sure why it is saving my profile every time I do that at home. I've never had any sentry issues when parked at home and home is excluded. So if this appears to be better with a later software version, perhaps they are adjusting the home position logic to make it more forgiving, a larger radius on that circle so to speak.

Not sure if that helps or not. Trying to shed some light on what could be going on here.

There might be another solution too, if relevant...

I'm also having sentry problems in my 2022MYP now about 2 months old

The initial "Tesla stick" seemed to work okay but with playback of sentry events sometimes inconsistent.
I then started using a SSD marketed by one of the Tesla oriented sellers and it too was "glitchy."

I took the advice above and got a Endurance type microSD and formatted it using the car's formatting option last night.
So the dash cam works recording my driving but I supposedly had 2 sentry events today and when I tried to view them, there was nothing highlighted as an event, sentry not even visible, only the dash cam recording.

Could I have a bad component?

Would this be a reboot situation? If so, with the USB drive in or out of the port?

Thoughts?

Would this be a reboot situation? If so, with the USB drive in or out of the port?
When the Sentry mode/Dashcam Viewer icon displays a small red X I reboot my 2020 LRMY. I reboot with the Samsung PRO Endurance microSD card, Sandisk Mobile Mate reader installed in the Tesla's USB data port. After the reboot the red X persists for a minute or two before changing to the expected red dot. Since installed 2022.12.3.2 I find I have to do this every three or four days.

When the Sentry mode/Dashcam Viewer icon displays a small red X I reboot my 2020 LRMY. I reboot with the Samsung PRO Endurance microSD card, Sandisk Mobile Mate reader installed in the Tesla's USB data port. After the reboot the red X persists for a minute or two before changing to the expected red dot. Since installed 2022.12.3.2 I find I have to do this every three or four days.
Interesting -

I am having the same(ish) issue as you and OP - in that the glove box USB (tesla thumb drive) seems to be dropping or not working correctly to save the clips and that USB port will 'drop' the USB thumb drive, unplug, and back it works again for a short time (day or two). I have bought the same USB thumb drive with same results (within the glovebox) -- move the Thumb drive into the 'center console and so far seems to be working -

However - this was the note (had the car in service yesterday 5.28.22) from the tech that this is an issue with the software and 'should' be fixed in 2022.16 - (the car is at 2022.12.3.2 as of this morning)

ORG thumb drive Tesla 128gb memory stick - was formated reloaded following the online instructions
New from Amazon: Samsung BAR Plus 256GB - 400MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Titan Gray (MUF-256BE4/AM)

Side note - this was also mentioned at this post -
2022.16 "Senty bugs"

1653832738302.png

Interesting; I'm having the same problem where I get a lot of red X issues. Usually every two or three days. My memory card was almost three years old (1 year with a 3 and almost 2 years on my Y) so I replaced the card and USB stick and have the same problems... so likely it wasn't the card.

Hoping this does get fixed in the next update. I was seriously worried it was an issue with the USB port (2020 Model Y).

Reactions: tdeno
2022 MY, sentry consistently to not able to re-recognize drive after long sleep (off charger/on charger finish for 12 hrs+). Remediation: unplug and plug drive back in resolves the issue every time. Drive: fresh tesla original drive is being used after suspecting card failure using Samsung Pro Endurance microSD with card reader, same results, so not the drive. Formatting, rebooting also tried, no luck. FW: 2022.12.3.20 (FSDβ)

2022 MY, sentry consistently to not able to re-recognize drive after long sleep (off charger/on charger finish for 12 hrs+). Remediation: unplug and plug drive back in resolves the issue every time. Drive: fresh tesla original drive is being used after suspecting card failure using Samsung Pro Endurance microSD with card reader, same results, so not the drive. Formatting, rebooting also tried, no luck. FW: 2022.12.3.20 (FSDβ)
Update: hooked up my Crucial X8 SSD (extremely overkill) to the glovebox USB A and apparently no longer experience issue. Test conducted is a soft reboot. For my previous storage devices they cannot be re-recognized by the car unless I either reconnect or reformat the drives.
The center console storage USB-C on my car cannot be used for sentry, for some reason. Drive can be “sensed” but no read or write permitted. Weird.