Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode notification but no video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! Just got my MYLR a couple of weeks ago. When i first got my car, it saved a long video of just me driving. Turned on sentry mode, gets notifications when I get back in my car but there is no video at all.

I am using the tesla thumb drive. I deleted that long video it initially recorded. I tried formatting the thumb drive again but still the same problem. Does anyone experience this problem? Am I missing something here? The sentry mode to me is very important.

it could be the sentry app could not display the video. If you are using the computer Mac, Windows or Ubuntu Linux , you can see the video clips save in Tesla drive under folder TeslaCam

To view the Sentry Video clips on car computer (the touchscreen in the middle of dashboard), try to refresh the screen by holding both scroll wheels (like turning off your phone it will do a soft reset) for a few seconds until the screen is off

Upvote 0
I've had this problem ever since an update in 12/2021. At first I thought it was my 1 tb SD card, but the card works well in a computer and is currently holding a zillion photos in my DSLR. I replaced it with a thumb drive but it had the same problem. The latest update seems to have fixed it, zero episodes since the update. Since it was an episodic problem I can't say it is completely gone but it has been a couple of weeks and before the update the longest up time the storage device had was a couple of days.

Upvote 0
Hi, did you fix the issue? For me it is the same case with only one strange thing: if i unplug and plug usb stick it will work again as normal for only ONCE and the second time when I go somewhere else and park the sentry stop saving clips again…
Also if i look at the usb content through laptop i can see there is actually folder created for these unsaved clips but inside folder only event.json file without any other video files like other normal sentry. That means sentry did try to ask dashcam to save clips but somehow not saved and usb stick is fine

Upvote 0
Hi, did you fix the issue? For me it is the same case with only one strange thing: if i unplug and plug usb stick it will work again as normal for only ONCE and the second time when I go somewhere else and park the sentry stop saving clips again…
Also if i look at the usb content through laptop i can see there is actually folder created for these unsaved clips but inside folder only event.json file without any other video files like other normal sentry. That means sentry did try to ask dashcam to save clips but somehow not saved and usb stick is fine
I have the same issue with High Endurance micro sd card/adapter combo.

Upvote 0
I'm on 2022.44.30. It happened only few times and with no noticable order so I want to try to use Tesla stick again just to see if it makes any difference. Weird issue.
For me Looks like now when I leave vehicle for more than 10mins the sentry won't save at all. And then some time later it becomes normal… when sentry can't save clips the dashcam won't be able to save manually either

Upvote 0
I don't really use sentry mode but I tried it the other day. Got a few notifications of activity so I went to review when I got back to my car.

I forgot where I saw this, may have been Google, might have even been a popup on the car display but it said that Sentry mode clips could only be viewed on a computer.

I was able to take recordings using the dashcam and view that on the car's display.

Seems weird but that's what I came across.

Upvote 0
Please keep me posted. Today I tried factory reset and it did not solve the issue…
Came back to car, it had 4 sentry events message, and nothing showed up in dashcam app. When i connected SSD to PC, there was only two folders in Sentry directory, and both were empty with event.json
Tomorrow I'm going to schedule a service appointment with app. Definitely a bummer.

Upvote 0
Came back to car, it had 4 sentry events message, and nothing showed up in dashcam app. When i connected SSD to PC, there was only two folders in Sentry directory, and both were empty with event.json
Tomorrow I'm going to schedule a service appointment with app. Definitely a bummer.
Looks like it is the same issue i have. I also tried with new microSd and adapter combo but issue Still persists. Before this software version it worked well but interestingly the bug not happened until i am on this software version for about week. Now you gives me thinking this is definitely a bug and service center will say please wait Tesla Software update i bet…

Upvote 0
But please let me know what service center said once you have contacted with service people

Upvote 0
I don't really use sentry mode but I tried it the other day. Got a few notifications of activity so I went to review when I got back to my car.

I forgot where I saw this, may have been Google, might have even been a popup on the car display but it said that Sentry mode clips could only be viewed on a computer.

I was able to take recordings using the dashcam and view that on the car's display.

Seems weird but that's what I came across.
My Sentry messages in car says "Tap to view" so definitely they should be viewable in car.

Upvote 0