Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode notification but no video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! Just got my MYLR a couple of weeks ago. When i first got my car, it saved a long video of just me driving. Turned on sentry mode, gets notifications when I get back in my car but there is no video at all.

I am using the tesla thumb drive. I deleted that long video it initially recorded. I tried formatting the thumb drive again but still the same problem. Does anyone experience this problem? Am I missing something here? The sentry mode to me is very important.

When I first got the car(late December 22) I had this issue where it would say that I have events but not display anything. I mucked around with the security settings in the car monitor and also the Tesla app to essentially set it to record only when away from home. I think soon after that I started being able to view the events on the screen. I didn't have to do anything with glove box/USB stick etc

Upvote 0
When I first got the car(late December 22) I had this issue where it would say that I have events but not display anything. I mucked around with the security settings in the car monitor and also the Tesla app to essentially set it to record only when away from home. I think soon after that I started being able to view the events on the screen. I didn't have to do anything with glove box/USB stick etc
You mean sentry mode excluding home? Or any other setting?

Upvote 0
This happened to me yesterday. Someone hit my parked car and put a nice dent in my driver and passenger doors with some bonus chips too. I was able to figure out when it happened because Sentry mode was working as it caught the usual people walking by my car, but not the actual incident. Fortunately, I was able to visit campus security and tell them the time-frame in which the accident occurred. To my surprise, they caught it on parking lot cams! Security called me up today to report what they found. They saw a truck pull into the space next to mine. It looked like he may have hit my M3 but the video wasn't conclusive UNTIL the guy gets out of his car and inspects the damage on my car. Then he takes off, cementing that he knowingly hit and run. Big problem though, the cameras couldn't pick out his license as it was too pixelated, and they couldn't locate any other footage of him arriving or leaving on other cameras. However, they have a good description of his truck and of him. It's just so frustrating that Sentry didn't pick it up... The impact... The guy coming to inspect the damage. I just updated the software tonight (the 2.10 or 2.12 minor bug patch). I'm guessing the early February software update that included some Sentry updates must have been glitchy.

I'm going to campus security tomorrow to file a police report now that we have the description of the guy and his vehicle. Hopefully I can get this all resolved. But still, what a letdown. I let sentry mode run while I'm on campus for this very reason. It drains a lot of juice, but I figure it's worth it. In that regard, I can't help but feel Tesla has an obligation to have a functioning product (I paid for it after all, and pay to operate it). Meh.

Upvote 0
This happened to me yesterday. Someone hit my parked car and put a nice dent in my driver and passenger doors with some bonus chips too. I was able to figure out when it happened because Sentry mode was working as it caught the usual people walking by my car, but not the actual incident. Fortunately, I was able to visit campus security and tell them the time-frame in which the accident occurred. To my surprise, they caught it on parking lot cams! Security called me up today to report what they found. They saw a truck pull into the space next to mine. It looked like he may have hit my M3 but the video wasn't conclusive UNTIL the guy gets out of his car and inspects the damage on my car. Then he takes off, cementing that he knowingly hit and run. Big problem though, the cameras couldn't pick out his license as it was too pixelated, and they couldn't locate any other footage of him arriving or leaving on other cameras. However, they have a good description of his truck and of him. It's just so frustrating that Sentry didn't pick it up... The impact... The guy coming to inspect the damage. I just updated the software tonight (the 2.10 or 2.12 minor bug patch). I'm guessing the early February software update that included some Sentry updates must have been glitchy.

I'm going to campus security tomorrow to file a police report now that we have the description of the guy and his vehicle. Hopefully I can get this all resolved. But still, what a letdown. I let sentry mode run while I'm on campus for this very reason. It drains a lot of juice, but I figure it's worth it. In that regard, I can't help but feel Tesla has an obligation to have a functioning product (I paid for it after all, and pay to operate it). Meh.
update. I got the minor bug patch as well. but better news. we found the guy that hit me! booyah!

Upvote 0
I got my brand new Tesla and have this problem since the beginning.

I’ve tried all recommendations here but no effect.

Lastly I formatted the flash disk on my Mac manually an created the TeslaCam folder. Then it worked ;)

Tesla formats the disk in ExFat format. I’ve tried MS DOS FAT. It worked. I’ve also tried by manually formatting ExFat, this also works.

I think formatting the disk from Tesla screen somehow corrupts it, nothing visible though.

Upvote 0