Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While my MY was parked and sentry mode was on someone tried to open the back door. When I got back into the car there was a notice that I had a recording. I watched the person come along the passenger side and try to open the rear door.

I was sitting about 50 feet away on a restaurant patio when this happened and I did not hear my horn go off and I did not receive any notification of the event on my iPhone.

Does the app have to be opened on my iPhone to receive notifications of recordings/events? I use a FOB rather than having the app opened to operate the car.

Is my sentry mode operating normally or is there a problem?

Thanks

Reactions: GadgetGary
Same thing happened to my Y Christmas night in Aspen, CO. Saw a lady with a guy trying to open my rear door. I guess the screen sentry warning scared both of them off. Just saw the footage today while going through sentry viewer. Video link here-

Agreed. And should be able to view the sentry video that caused this notification from the app.

IMO, this would be more useful than the live sentry feature currently being rolled-out to the app.
Yes! Would be nice to get a general phone notification when sentry is triggered so we can follow up immediately with live camera view to see what's going on and to view stored sentry video remotely with downloadable/ share linking options through the app. Next holiday update perhaps. 🤞

I know Ring is working on a Ring Car Connect which will let people view their sentry but to pay for another data usb streaming device with a data service plan...not sure if I'd want to do that-

The only consideration I can think of for not notifying you of all sentry issues is that there are more instances of merely having had someone walk by the car and triggered the system. I have had hundreds and hundreds of them, but never one where anything happened at all. That being said, it would seem to be simple to differentiate a walk-by from someone who actually attempts to open the door.

It would also be nice to have these phone alerts when people touch your car not just try to open it. I was at a USP store and noticed someone pull up and open their car door onto my new Model Y. Luckily, it didn’t damage or scratch my car but it wouldn’t have been nice if sentry would have alerted my phone in case I couldn’t see it happen.

Reactions: Oct22
Came here from a Google search because the car said it had a sentry event, that i had not been alerted to.

Was just some guy parked next to My tesla that opened his door (not Even close to hitting My tesla) and I had No notifications.

Still Strange it did not alert me on My Phone but it seems this is "normal"

Pretty poor to be honest, but I guess they want to save on the dataplan.

Came here from a Google search because the car said it had a sentry event, that i had not been alerted to.

Was just some guy parked next to My tesla that opened his door (not Even close to hitting My tesla) and I had No notifications.

Still Strange it did not alert me on My Phone but it seems this is "normal"

Pretty poor to be honest, but I guess they want to save on the dataplan.
You can speculate why Tesla doesn't have push notifications for everyday Sentry events (not security alarm events) but I think almost everyone would get annoyed by the number of notifications and turn it off.

It is not uncommon to have 1-2 Sentry events every time I park somewhere. More so, if the parking lot is very crowded. Everything from people walking close to the car or opening their car door close to my car to get in. Imagine going shopping and getting these notifications every time? There are other threads on this and people have asked for this feature but IMHO I think people would try it out and then turn them off. Might be more important in the future when Robotaxi becomes a reality.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
You can speculate why Tesla doesn't have push notifications for everyday Sentry events (not security alarm events) but I think almost everyone would get annoyed by the number of notifications and turn it off.

It is not uncommon to have 1-2 Sentry events every time I park somewhere. More so, if the parking lot is very crowded. Everything from people walking close to the car or opening their car door close to my car to get in. Imagine going shopping and getting these notifications every time? There are other threads on this and people have asked for this feature but IMHO I think people would try it out and then turn them off. Might be more important in the future when Robotaxi becomes a reality.
I agree that it would be a nuisance if you got warnings multiple times while parked at the supermarket or shopping centre, but i would still like to have had it as an option that could be turned on or off.

In a busy parking lot I can get up to 10 alerts. If I got a push notification for all I would stop checking. I think it's appropriate. If the alarm is triggered you get a push if not you can see it in the car when you get in. Proportionate response.

I parked overnight in a garage one time that had LED lights that flickered at a rate picked up by the Tesla cameras as motion and returned to 800+ sentry event recordings in the morning. I had to reformat the drive to get rid of them all.

I still like the (false) sense of security that sentry mode provides in unfamiliar locations, but would not have liked receiving 800+ push notifications. I think having a threshold at which a notification is sent makes sense.