Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode on V2.0 Hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious as to whether anyone knows if / when Sentry Mode will start working on AP 2.0 cars? My 2017 MX AP 2.0 running 2019.16.2 software only writes empty files to the thumb drive currently (known behavior).

Was wondering if anyone out there with AP 2.0 hardware has gotten Sentry Mode to work by writing full files yet and, if so, what software version you are running?

Curious as to whether anyone knows if / when Sentry Mode will start working on AP 2.0 cars? My 2017 MX AP 2.0 running 2019.16.2 software only writes empty files to the thumb drive currently (known behavior).

Was wondering if anyone out there with AP 2.0 hardware has gotten Sentry Mode to work by writing full files yet and, if so, what software version you are running?
I have a 1017 X, took delivery mid July 2017. have Version 2019,16.2 The sentry update came thru a few weeks ago. I set up the flash drive on my mac, rode around with it plugged into my car yesterday, loaded it into my mac and I have files, BUT can't open them on my mac. as there's no software to retrieve them.It comes thru as a MPEG4 and Quicktime shows up but won't open them. I tried updating Quicktime but that didn't help Can't figure out what to do, will call Apple support when I have a spare few hours, but perhaps one of you guys can lead me in the right direction. Oh, I'm blonde, most likely part of my problem

I have a 1017 X, took delivery mid July 2017. have Version 2019,16.2 The sentry update came thru a few weeks ago. I set up the flash drive on my mac, rode around with it plugged into my car yesterday, loaded it into my mac and I have files, BUT can't open them on my mac. as there's no software to retrieve them.It comes thru as a MPEG4 and Quicktime shows up but won't open them. I tried updating Quicktime but that didn't help Can't figure out what to do, will call Apple support when I have a spare few hours, but perhaps one of you guys can lead me in the right direction. Oh, I'm blonde, most likely part of my problem
You're wasting your time. The files are empty. There's nothing wrong with your playback software.

AP2.0 hardware simply doesn't record video to USB for now. We don't know if it ever will either. Sentry mode on AP2 is only used as a deterrent to thieves who know about sentry mode and don't know the difference between ap2 and ap2.5+ hardware.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chumbo
You're wasting your time. The files are empty. There's nothing wrong with your playback software.

AP2.0 hardware simply doesn't record video to USB for now. We don't know if it ever will either. Sentry mode on AP2 is only used as a deterrent to thieves who know about sentry mode and don't know the difference between ap2 and ap2.5+ hardware.

And lucky for us there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between 2.0 and 2.5/3 visually

We don't know if it ever will either. Sentry mode on AP2 is only used as a deterrent to thieves who know about sentry mode and don't know the difference between ap2 and ap2.5+ hardware.

I thought that Tesla was going to replace all our computers (on Elon Time) for AP purposes and after that we would have full sentry mode. Was I misreading whatever it was that I read several months ago?

I thought that Tesla was going to replace all our computers (on Elon Time) for AP purposes and after that we would have full sentry mode. Was I misreading whatever it was that I read several months ago?

If you purchase FSD online, or pre-purchased it when you bought the car, only then would you be eligible to be upgraded to the latest MCU hardware. This new hardware will support Sentry, Dashcam & FSD. I think you can make an appointment to have this done at a service center anytime but FSD would still not be enabled due to government regulations.

If you purchase FSD online, or pre-purchased it when you bought the car, only then would you be eligible to be upgraded to the latest MCU hardware. This new hardware will support Sentry, Dashcam & FSD. I think you can make an appointment to have this done at a service center anytime but FSD would still not be enabled due to government regulations.

Not upgraded to new MCU hardware, but upgraded to new AP hardware. MCU I have not read any news on getting a retrofit (paid) done in a long time.

AP2 has less compute hardware capability which will be fixed by installation of an AP3 hardware if and when any FSD features are rolled out and you have purchased FSD, BUT AP2 also has less capable cameras which will NOT be upgraded in the transition to FSD features. Now whether the computing capability and/or the colour cameras will be required to have dashcam and sentry functionality has not yet been clearly outlined by Tesla or anyone at this stage.

FYI, here's a great article which outlines the AP H/W evolution differences and capabilities:

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

Long story short, the processor upgrades made from AP 2.0 to AP 2.5 enabled Dashcam and Sentry mode features with local file saving ability using the same external cameras. Admittedly, these cameras are of lower quality then the cameras used on AP 3.0 cars.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11 and VikH
FYI, here's a great article which outlines the AP H/W evolution differences and capabilities:

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

Long story short, the processor upgrades made from AP 2.0 to AP 2.5 enabled Dashcam and Sentry mode features with local file saving ability using the same external cameras. Admittedly, these cameras are of lower quality then the cameras used on AP 3.0 cars.

Wow. That is a great summary. Bookmarked!