Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode on V2.0 Hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current answer: nope, and it's probably better to keep it off (2019.16.2) as it has caused issues with the rear camera view for me. It seemed to take a week to fully resolve. Besides, the MCU1 won't be able to handle it by my understanding of it.

Thanks. I've heard that MCU1 can run Sentry Mode (only) but not DashCam because it does not require the hardware to perform multi-tasking e.g. processing lane monitoring, traffic awareness and dashcam duties while the vehicle is in motion. Sentry mode is only enabled when in park so the MCU1 should be plenty powerful to handle capturing the camera feeds to the thumb drive having no other tasks to perform.

I believe Tesla is either holding back the Sentry Mode feature on AP 2.0 cars purposefully for marketing reasons or they are still working out the bugs and it will release in a subsequent update. That being said, I've heard from people with 2019.20.x software who have reported that is still not working on those releases either.

FYI, here's a great article which outlines the AP H/W evolution differences and capabilities:

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

Long story short, the processor upgrades made from AP 2.0 to AP 2.5 enabled Dashcam and Sentry mode features with local file saving ability using the same external cameras. Admittedly, these cameras are of lower quality then the cameras used on AP 3.0 cars.