Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode only front camera activities recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
Just pick up my M3F 2weeks ago in Sweden. Super fun car! However past week sentry mode has stopped working properly. After hours of testing, I came to conclusions that only front camera initiates recording. I had my friends who is on the lasted firmware do the test and he is having the same issue. You can basically bash on the side windows and jump around in the back of the car without sentry mode turning on. But if I Walk past in front of the car the light flashes and display shows that sentry mode is active. For reference I tried my mom's M3L and she has note updated her car and sentry mode works perfectly. I'm guessing it's a software issue. Anyone else experiencing this issue or only us in Sweden? And by us I mean me and my friend as I don't know any other tesla owner here

I have similar issue with the MY I picked up in May (2021.4.18.3 sw version). It only seems to record the front and not the side or rear. I since then put up my old dashcam and will upgrade to a new Blackvue dashcam to backup the sentry, waiting to receive it so I can install it. It's not the camera's problem I believe it is the software because when I activate them manually, I can see it and also backup camera is working fine when backing up. Only Sentry is having this issue so I can't take that risk when I parked in weird places I need to make sure I have a working camera. So going to be putting up the Blackvue with external battery for extended parking support at least front/back will be covered., maybe I ought to put something on the side too but I think that might be a little too extreme. There're reports out there about this bug only affect us poor folks without radar apparently:

Last edited:
The OP is saying that all the cameras record, but only the front cameras are detecting activity that should cause Sentry Mode alerts, so it’s not quite the same issue.
I also did just checked my recording and it does seem that only my front had sentry footage upon testing. I simply don't take my phone with me leave it far away and walk up to the car to try to open door and stuff. I see Sentry mode warning when trying to open door but no recording at all on the side.

By the way, I read the OP's message again to see if I was too dumb to read and I was not, I had the same symptom. As I said before, my front sentry is the only one detecting, recording, and alerting. "After hours of testing, I came to conclusions that only front camera initiates recording". I responded with "It only seems to record the front and not the side or rear" and I was specifically referring to the sentry although I didn't call it out. Just want to clarify my statement here.

Last edited:
I have similar issue with the MY I picked up in May (2021.4.18.3 sw version). It only seems to record the front and not the side or rear. I since then put up my old dashcam and will upgrade to a new Blackvue dashcam to backup the sentry, waiting to receive it so I can install it. It's not the camera's problem I believe it is the software because when I activate them manually, I can see it and also backup camera is working fine when backing up. Only Sentry is having this issue so I can't take that risk when I parked in weird places I need to make sure I have a working camera. So going to be putting up the Blackvue with external battery for extended parking support at least front/back will be covered., maybe I ought to put something on the side too but I think that might be a little too extreme. There're reports out there about this bug only affect us poor folks without radar apparently:
Yeah but I live in Sweden and have both camera and raidar so this issue should not affect me I guess?

Adding a data point. Sentry mode hasn't work at all on our model 3 (early June delivery). It's turned on and keeping the car awake, but nothing manages to trip it. This is on both 2021.4.18.2 and 2021.4.18.3.

Yeah but I live in Sweden and have both camera and raidar so this issue should not affect me I guess?
I read online that it only affects the Camera Vision vehicles but you might want to test it too and report a bug if you find an issue. If we don't report it, they're not going to prioritize on fixing it. But I would assume all their efforts are put into getting the Auto Pilot/FSD fully working on Camera Vision vs fixing Sentry.

I read online that it only affects the Camera Vision vehicles but you might want to test it too and report a bug if you find an issue. If we don't report it, they're not going to prioritize on fixing it. But I would assume all their efforts are put into getting the Auto Pilot/FSD fully working on Camera Vision vs fixing Sentry.
True! I'm new to tesla so what's the best way to report this? Link?

Same issue here! M3P and I'm on 2021.4.18.3 only the front camera is triggering sentry.... All the cameras recording properly though.

From long time ago, the back camera stopped triggering sentry and only the side cameras seemed to trigger it. Anyone experienced something similar?

Let's see if Tesla fix this soon...

True! I'm new to tesla so what's the best way to report this? Link?
This is the way I know how to do it. In the car, you can press the voice command button and say "Bug Report" and it will capture data on the screens and allow you to add voice message describing your report and it gets sent over the air to Tesla. But some people also said you can do send email to this email address which I've never tried before: [email protected].

Just picked the car up yesterday.

I haven't been able to get mine to trigger at all yet. Even if I lean on the bonnet or try and open the frunk, rock the car from side to side, or try and open the doors with no key present.

Nothing. Showing as working in both the app and in-car. So I assume it's just for bigger impacts?

Anyone got a foolproof way of triggering it so I can test it?

I'll try a reboot to see if that helps too.

This is the way I know how to do it. In the car, you can press the voice command button and say "Bug Report" and it will capture data on the screens and allow you to add voice message describing your report and it gets sent over the air to Tesla

No, it won't.

Those reports never leave the car. They're essentially just creating a bookmark to the cars logs when you reported the issue, with the voice clip attached. They don't go anywhere.

They're there for if you open a service ticket and mention you did a bug report when the issue happened- a service tech can then remote connect to your vehicle and read the report to see what the car was doing at the time.

If you have a service issue, you need to open a service ticket via the app.

Just picked the car up yesterday.

I haven't been able to get mine to trigger at all yet. Even if I lean on the bonnet or try and open the frunk, rock the car from side to side, or try and open the doors with no key present.

Nothing. Showing as working in both the app and in-car. So I assume it's just for bigger impacts?

Anyone got a foolproof way of triggering it so I can test it?

I'll try a reboot to see if that helps

No, it won't.

Those reports never leave the car. They're essentially just creating a bookmark to the cars logs when you reported the issue, with the voice clip attached. They don't go anywhere.

They're there for if you open a service ticket and mention you did a bug report when the issue happened- a service tech can then remote connect to your vehicle and read the report to see what the car was doing at the time.

If you have a service issue, you need to open a service ticket via the app.
I guess Elon Musk and a lot of other people that suggested the same process is wrong then? I see a lot of mixed information, some say it wont and some says it does. Either way, email is my preferred way now that I found there's such a thing at least you got some paper trail, I'm a big believer in paper trail at least digitally. Even the manual doesn't indicate you should log a service ticket for bug report, I guess it's a hidden fact.

From Manual (whatever the last sentence means periodically reviews notes):
Contacting Tesla For detailed information about your Model Y, go to www.tesla.com, and log on to your Tesla Account, or sign up to get an account. If you have any questions or concerns about your Model Y, call 1-877-79TESLA (1-877‑798-3752). NOTE: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model Y takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model Y.

1) Press + hold right (or voice) button on wheel
2) When prompt appears, let go of button
3) Say “Bug Report” + speak without pause
4) When done, it will send it to Tesla

Last edited:
I guess Elon Musk and a lot of other people that suggested the same process is wrong then?

Sure wouldn't be the first time.

Folks who actually directly access the computer systems have all explained this, roughly 7694 thousand times previous.

It doesn't go anywhere.

A moment of critical thought would provide you the same answer though.

There's well over a million Teslas on the road today.

There's be well over 2 million by years end.

Likely ~4 million by end of 2022.

Who's listening to all those bug reports you imagine all get sent back to the mothership?

How many employees do you imagine they'd need to hire full time just for that task?

Even the manual doesn't indicate you should log a service ticket for bug report, I guess it's a hidden fact.

You should log a service ticket when something is wrong with your car.

The bug report allows the tech assigned to your service ticket to remotely access that report and see the logs that got saved when you hit bug report that are stored on the car.

E
From Manual (whatever the last sentence means periodically reviews notes):
Contacting Tesla For detailed information about your Model Y, go to www.tesla.com, and log on to your Tesla Account, or sign up to get an account. If you have any questions or concerns about your Model Y, call 1-877-79TESLA (1-877‑798-3752). NOTE: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model Y takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model Y.

Yeah- it reviews them if there's a service ticket opened.

Since they stay local to the vehicle- and they don't have the manpower to listen to what would doubtless be millions of bug reports a year from the fleet without any corresponding actual service request tied to them.

There's folks here who've mentioned submitting dozens of bug reports for incorrect speed limits in the maps, for years, for example. (without anything happening of course- since again- nobody's hearing them.

Also folks who've directly asked Tesla techs and been told the same thing. The bug report is for the tech to look at if you open a ticket by logging into your car and reading it, since that's the only place it goes.

This post being one among many

"I believe @greentheonly on Twitter (@verygreen here on TMC) looked at the code and figured out that when a bug report is captured it isn’t transmitted, just stored. My own experience with a mobile tech appears to verify this as well. They were troubleshooting an audio issue that I and several others were experiencing a year ago and the mobile tech asked me to shoot him an email whenever I created a bug report about the issue. He said that he would then remotely connect to my car and download the recently captured bug report log files. Unless I notified him there was a bug report to look at he would had no way of knowing I submitted a bug report"

For example (from Green):

(if you scroll up a bit in the twitter thread he actually posts a screen shot of Teslas internal code running on the car computer that captures and stores the data locally- nothing in the code "sends" it anywhere- and he's mentioning he's never seen any evidence of Tesla "fetching" it either other than service centers in relation to open tickets.)

Obviously it won't hurt anything (except very marginally wearing out your emmc onboard storage I guess- a much bigger issue for MCU1 cars)-- but unless it's related to a ticket you're going to open, it won't be doing anything but wasting your own time.

Last edited: