Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode power drain

G4WFT

May 6, 2020
Northamptonshire
I tried an experiment with my new M3P last night. I turned on Sentry mode at about 10pm last night and left it on through the night. Finally turned it off at about 8:30 this morning. In those 10.5 hours it had lost 9 miles of range (231 to 222).

Does that sound about normal?

I must admit that I've been pleasantly surprised at how little "phantom drain" there is on the M3. Typically overnight it loses just a mile of range.

CyberGus

Not Just a Member
May 5, 2020
Austin, TX
I've calculated that Sentry Mode uses approximately 300W, which is ludicrous. That's like running 6 laptops or 20 iPads.

However, it was pointed out to me that when the HV battery is in discharge, the BMS must regulate temperature, which means running the cooling pump. So even though there's this huge battery, you can't just take sips. There is a fixed cost just for being awake.

Maybe efficiency will be improved in future hardware, but the current on-board computer system was not designed to be constantly on.

LongRanger

Jan 11, 2020
Wales
Lost 1% in last 3 days with just a couple of “wake ups” via the iPhone app per day, haven’t driven the car since Tuesday eve until tonight. Sentry mode off.

webbah

May 22, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
I've calculated that Sentry Mode uses approximately 300W, which is ludicrous. That's like running 6 laptops or 20 iPads.

However, it was pointed out to me that when the HV battery is in discharge, the BMS must regulate temperature, which means running the cooling pump. So even though there's this huge battery, you can't just take sips. There is a fixed cost just for being awake.

Maybe efficiency will be improved in future hardware, but the current on-board computer system was not designed to be constantly on.

Sentry mode is using the onboard computer which is similar to a desktop computer with all the onboard processing, etc, and the 9 cameras. So yeah, 300 watts is correct. This is why I installed a dual channel Blackvue system that uses 5 watts. I only enable Sentry if I am in some really crappy area without a choice to gain piece of mind. Otherwise the Blackvue's do an excellent job.

Don't forget that Sentry was added as a "feature" afterthought due to all the Tesla breakins happening in 2018-2019 in California and elsewhere. People begged Tesla to do something about it and they did, and now people complain as it was never intended to be used for that purpose nor designed that way and requires the onboard computer to function. That means the car can't sleep. Most people forget the little details though or simply don't know!

• Informative
Reactions: darkNstormy

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Went on holiday for a week, purposefully didn't check it via the app or anything and my SR+ lost 0%.

Wow. I think maybe there has been some development in software updates to reduce the drain when the car is left undisturbed for several days at a time. I've never heard anyone reporting no losses over a week before. Due to the smaller battery in the SR+ you would expect that the percentage loss would be greater than the bigger battery cars (given that they are all running the same background systems).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC