Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode power use.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figure this has probably already been stated, but just for giggles I left my MYP in my Garage in mild temperatures while on a trip with sentry mode on. Zero trigger events and it dropped 29% in just over 4.5 days. Getting down to the nitty gritty, on average it lost 1% every 3 hours and 44 min.

I assume everyone knows that it reserves the last 20% of the battery by shutting off sentry mode, so in mild conditions with no trigger events your max vacation with sentry mode active the whole time would be 80% * 3 hours 44 min... 298.66 hours, or 298 hours and 40 min, so, 12 days 10 hours and 44 min. I am guessing that trigger events use a bit more power to flash the lights and activate the center console eye of Sauron, so your mileage may vary :)

Your welcome!

Keith

Yep, it's been discussed quite a bit. Sentry doesn't consume anything by itself but it prevents the car from falling asleep (low power mode). When awake it consumes typically 200-250w continuously. That means 1kWh in 4-5h, or 4.8-6kWh per day. Since you have around 80kWh in your battery (give or take a couple), you can easily do the math. It fits what you're reporting here.

Reactions: Big Earl
I figure this has probably already been stated, but just for giggles I left my MYP in my Garage in mild temperatures while on a trip with sentry mode on. Zero trigger events and it dropped 29% in just over 4.5 days. Getting down to the nitty gritty, on average it lost 1% every 3 hours and 44 min.

I assume everyone knows that it reserves the last 20% of the battery by shutting off sentry mode, so in mild conditions with no trigger events your max vacation with sentry mode active the whole time would be 80% * 3 hours 44 min... 298.66 hours, or 298 hours and 40 min, so, 12 days 10 hours and 44 min. I am guessing that trigger events use a bit more power to flash the lights and activate the center console eye of Sauron, so your mileage may vary :)

Your welcome!

Keith

Sentry Mode uses approximately 250 Watts continuously (or a bit less). Events/triggers do not increase consumption in any meaningful way.

But as said, sentry adds nothing. It's software that runs on the same computers that are in the car and running already. The computer and the pumps to circulate coolant etc are what consume power. Running Sentry mode simply keeps them running forever instead of letting the car sleep. The car was not designed from the start to be able to have a sentry system, it was added after because it could do it.

Reactions: Nubo and BitJam
But as said, sentry adds nothing. It's software that runs on the same computers that are in the car and running already. The computer and the pumps to circulate coolant etc are what consume power. Running Sentry mode simply keeps them running forever instead of letting the car sleep. The car was not designed from the start to be able to have a sentry system, it was added after because it could do it.
Yes, I understand why it's excessive. :)

• Funny
Reactions: GtiMart

I have my car charging at my house and sentry is active.

I have found that the car has to be awake in order to charge.

Can it be assumed that a purely awake car ( for whatever reason ) will use the same amount of electricity as an awake car that is charging and has Sentry active?

I have my car charging at my house and sentry is active.

I have found that the car has to be awake in order to charge.

Can it be assumed that a purely awake car ( for whatever reason ) will use the same amount of electricity as an awake car that is charging and has Sentry active?
The Tesla Model Y is awake while charging. Some Tesla Model Y systems, such as the screen and infotainment computer may be turned off if the Tesla Model Y is locked with Sentry Mode set to OFF at the location.

If you use Scheduled Charging or Scheduled Departure Charging the Tesla Model Y will confirm that the vehicle is plugged in and will then enter sleep mode or standby mode if Sentry mode is active. The Tesla Model Y will wake up at the required time to begin charging, then re-enter sleep mode (unless a Tesla function such as Sentry mode or Summon standby causes the Tesla Model Y to remain in standby mode.)

Im not a super deep dive expert on this, but I believe this would be a fair assumption.

Said another way, if someone was charging on level 1 charging for a 24 hour period and the battery in the car was depleted enough to cause the car to need to charge for the entire 24 hour period, the amount of energy charged would likely be similar whether sentry mode was off, or on.

The car is "awake" in either case, so that "car is awake" energy use is in play, in either case. Might be slightly different due to different systems being fully awake or not, so it may not be "exactly" the same, but close enough for a general statement.

Reactions: dusty22
Thanks for the responses.

When I get home in the early evening, since Sentry is activated the car stays awake for a couple of hours until scheduled charging at 10PM. So, up to that point there would be some small energy loss until charging starts. After that it would matter little if Sentry is on unless charging completes and the car goes back to sleep. My charging ( level 1 ) usually continues until I use the car the next day. I like it that way since the car stays awake, the contactors have less activations; if that matters from a wear standpoint, which I'm not sure about.

Yep, I believe that is true. When the car is awake, it runs the computers, the coolant pumps etc and that drain is fairly constant. The car is absolutely awake as it charges, to maintain control and monitor everything. Charging doesn't normally spend more energy unless the car needs to actively warm or cool the battery.

Reactions: dusty22
Thanks for the responses.

When I get home in the early evening, since Sentry is activated the car stays awake for a couple of hours until scheduled charging at 10PM. So, up to that point there would be some small energy loss until charging starts. After that it would matter little if Sentry is on unless charging completes and the car goes back to sleep. My charging ( level 1 ) usually continues until I use the car the next day. I like it that way since the car stays awake, the contactors have less activations; if that matters from a wear standpoint, which I'm not sure about.
Periodically (Monthly?) you should turn off Sentry mode when parked overnight at home. The Tesla Model Y battery management system needs to measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells in the battery pack (this takes several hours). This provides Tesla with additional data about the health and state of charge of the battery pack. Measuring the OCV can only take place when the high voltage battery is disconnected from the Tesla vehicle as when in sleep mode.

Reactions: GtiMart and dusty22