Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only recently started turning sentry mode on (home and fav's are disabled); Got 2019.28.3 a few days ago. I've gotten messages on my screen when I get in the car - "sentry mode incident occurred" but there's nothing on the USB. I've also noted that there's no dashcam files either. Haven't seen any error messages. Is this a release problem? Anybody else have this issue?

I only recently started turning sentry mode on (home and fav's are disabled); Got 2019.28.3 a few days ago. I've gotten messages on my screen when I get in the car - "sentry mode incident occurred" but there's nothing on the USB. I've also noted that there's no dashcam files either. Haven't seen any error messages. Is this a release problem? Anybody else have this issue?
I no longer have the dashcam symbol on my screen. This happened after the latest update. Tried removing the Samsung 256 Fit drive and reinstalling but still no luck. Ideas anyone?

Was it there before you received the 28.3 update? I lost both after the 28.3 update and had to reformat and re-partition my 240gb drive into 2 distinct drives, one is "TESLACAM" and the other "MUSIC" (all caps, right or wrong). Now it works perfectly.

Was it there before you received the 28.3 update? I lost both after the 28.3 update and had to reformat and re-partition my 240gb drive into 2 distinct drives, one is "TESLACAM" and the other "MUSIC" (all caps, right or wrong). Now it works perfectly.
Before 28.3, the dashcam was working (I hadn't used the Sentry mode). Since 28.3, no dashcam recordings and Sentry notes "sentry mode event occcurred" when I get in the car. Again, nothing is recorded. The USB is FAT32 and was working before for at least the dashcam (and I would delete old files every week or so). I formatted a new USB with FAT32 (it's only 16Gb so I can do it on WIN10)...same problem....nothing recorded. It sure looks like something to do with the software update?

After reading the suggestion, I turned off my BT on my phone and walked over to the car and it “lit up”. Great, I thought, that was the answer. So I walked away. Waited a few minutes and tried it again, and it didn’t work. Waited until the end of the day, tried it again, still didn’t work.
Walked out of my house this morning to go to work, phone (BT enabled) in my pocket, as I approached the car, it lit up (not to unlock - but the sentry mode splash screen).
No rhyme or reason - sometimes approaching the car when in Sentry Mode it will “activate” and the screen and lights come on, other times, I can actually try a door handle and lean on the car - nothing.

Solved the problem with my original post issue in this thread - Sentry and dashcam not working after 2019.28 installed! I did a hard reboot (two thumb salute with foot on the brake) and everything is working fine! That includes another problem I posted with my phone app not letting me in the car sometimes. There's been lots of well-meaning suggestions about thumb drive formatting, speed, vendor, etc.

We need to think of the current state of the firmware and software as analogous to early versions of MS Windows (or IOS for you Apple people!). I'm dating myself but remember the "blue screen of death"? The Tesla firmware and software are I'm sure very complex and there's bugs. Regarding a PC, remember that "when all else fails, reboot!" applies equally well for Tesla at this stage of their development. In the near future, I can see a business popping up similar to the Geek Squad at Best Buy - they send somebody out to "fix your software problems". The Tesla model is more akin to Apple (you gotta get everything from them) as opposed to MS where there are many vendors of various applications that work with the MS app interfaces. I was in the IT biz for over 30 years and know the culture well.

I am convinced that the problems started immediately after downloading 2019.28; presumably it screwed something(s) up with the hardware/software interfaces and/or settings.

From now on, the mantra should be, "if all else fails, do the two thumbs salute" before calling Tesla!

A couple things - When I format a drive using Windows 10 to FAT32, it does not work in our Model 3, when I format the drive using Fat32 Formater (from an English Ridge cop Consulting), it works. Then when I get sentry mode clips, they show the entire drive if I leave on sentry mode during our drives. Also yes it picks up every single little flashing light in our garage during the night. Hmmmm.