Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode question(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which camera is the Sentry Mode supposed to use when?

I was watching some videos from my Tesla and when the car was moving the videos did NOT show my blind spot. It seemed it was using the front fender camera and shooting alongside the car.

When parked it seemed to be using the cameras in the pillars.

Not showing the blind spot in moving videos is ungood.

I'll add another question to this thread rather than starting a new one:

I just took delivery of a new model-3 on Friday, and cannot figure out how to enable Sentry mode. I've seen videos on the web that have a clear "Sentry Mode" option on the touchscreen and in the app. In my case, I don't see those options in either location. It's not that they're grey'ed out .. they simply aren't there.

Is there something else that has to happen for the Sentry Mode toggle-button to appear? I have a formatted USB dongle in the port and the dashcam appears to work fine.

version: 2019.7.7107
Thanks in advance,
//dan.

I just took delivery of a new model-3 on Friday, and cannot figure out how to enable Sentry mode. I've seen videos on the web that have a clear "Sentry Mode" option on the touchscreen and in the app. In my case, I don't see those options in either location. It's not that they're grey'ed out .. they simply aren't there.

Is there something else that has to happen for the Sentry Mode toggle-button to appear? I have a formatted USB dongle in the port and the dashcam appears to work fine.

Thanks in advance,
//dan.
you might realize this already, but to say in case..... just because it is a new car, it may not have the most recent firmware that provides this feature. I'm not positive that firmware version has sentry. I think not but could be wrong. Someone will surely reply and know.

Thanks in advance,
//dan.
I have the same issue with nothing showing in the Safety/Security screen. But I have been able to toggle Sentry Mode on from the Tesla app on my phone. It does make Sentry Mode active, with the little red eye showing at the top of the screen. But it must be set after each driving session.

I have the same issue with nothing showing in the Safety/Security screen. But I have been able to toggle Sentry Mode on from the Tesla app on my phone. It does make Sentry Mode active, with the little red eye showing at the top of the screen. But it must be set after each driving session. I should add that this is only on my Model 3. My MX it operates as expected from the Safety/Security window.

Each time I review the usb flash drive to see Sentry video clips, Windows says "drive needs repair." I let it repair and the drive, then I can see the files. However, some days the right or left camera footage is poor quality. The right camera will have no video fairly regularly. Does anyone know what might be causing low quality video from the side cameras? I'll get no recordings on the right, then the next day the right camera is fine and the left one has low quality video. Some of the videos are too distorted to be useful. Fortunately, nothing has happened. The recordings are of nothing or cars / people going by. Thanks!

Which camera is the Sentry Mode supposed to use when?

I was watching some videos from my Tesla and when the car was moving the videos did NOT show my blind spot. It seemed it was using the front fender camera and shooting alongside the car.

When parked it seemed to be using the cameras in the pillars.

Not showing the blind spot in moving videos is ungood.

First of all sentry mode does not work while in motion, car must be in park. DashCam does indeed record your blindspot while in motion using the front fender cameras, in addition to a forward facing camera in the windshield.

Thanks in advance,
//dan.
You and I (I'm on 7.107 too) don't have Sentry Mode yet. It was introduced on 12x. We must wait on an update.