Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode recording not working if I also have MP3 USB drive connected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a strange problem - if I leave my MP3 USB drive connected in the car, then sentry mode, while on, will not record any events. However, if I do not have the MP3 USB drive connected, the sentry mode will work.

Each is connected on their own port, not a port splitter and I have checked the power available and the power they use and there is plenty of power available. (They run under 100mA each). I have also switched ports and that had no impact so it is not where on the USB bus the device is that this is impacted.

Note that the dashcam works and the save on honk works just fine with the MP3 drive connected (and even when playing from the MP3 drive).

This is in a Model S with MCU2 and HW3.

As best as I can tell, this has to be a software bug of some sort since the hardware is all functional. Note that the USB devices are very high quality but I have switched out different devices a few times, including building my own version with the best USB2/USB3 controller I know of.

Anyone have similar problems? Could it be due to the amount of music I have? I would doubt it since it does not have a problem while driving, but maybe there is a bug in sentry mode?

No same configuration, but I have no issues although occasionally a sentry event press to view doesn't. The events would appear to be available direct from the viewer when filtering on sentry.

Model 3 with MCU2 and HW3. I run 2 x 128GB micro SD cards via a single card reader. My audio card is full - lossless CD quality FLACs.