Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode records on an AP 2.0 Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Last night, I parked my vehicle in a mall lot & activated Sentry mode while my family watched a movie. When I got back to the vehicle, the driver display said there was one incident. Since it has AP 2.0, I can’t record any camera data. However, are there any data available to me like a time stamp?

Same question here. We don't have Dashcam capability, right? My car was manufactured on March 26, 2017, but as of FW 2019.12.1, I have Sentry mode. Should I try formatting a USB, adding the TeslaCam folder, and seeing if it will record? That hasn't worked before.

Same question here. We don't have Dashcam capability, right? My car was manufactured on March 26, 2017, but as of FW 2019.12.1, I have Sentry mode. Should I try formatting a USB, adding the TeslaCam folder, and seeing if it will record? That hasn't worked before.

You can format and insert a USB drive, but the files aren’t accessible after you remove the thumb drive - they are only 1KB. It gets corrupted when removed (or they are corrupted from the start...). And Tesla has yet to explain how or if we can get access to the “Tesla Servers” where these files are stored in the cloud, how long the files are there, etc.

@Padelford The one minor benefit of inserting a USB is that when you review it, you can see WHEN the Sentry mode was activated. I’m not sure how helpful that is, but it would have the time stamp for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
You can format and insert a USB drive, but the files aren’t accessible after you remove the thumb drive - they are only 1KB. It gets corrupted when removed (or they are corrupted from the start...). And Tesla has yet to explain how or if we can get access to the “Tesla Servers” where these files are stored in the cloud, how long the files are there, etc.

@Padelford The one minor benefit of inserting a USB is that when you review it, you can see WHEN the Sentry mode was activated. I’m not sure how helpful that is, but it would have the time stamp for you.

As FAA as I know (including talking to Tesla), AP 2.0 cars cannot record video from Sentry mode. I was just wondering if some simple time stamp was recorded where I could access it.

I can confirm that even though the USB doesn’t record any video, it creates the entry in the Recent Clips and Saved Clips folder to give you a time stamp. If that’s helpful, that’s the way you can access it.

For now, it’s a busted feature for those of us on HW2. If it gets added to our Tesla.com accounts or the app, so we can login and see the videos/time stamps, that would be awesome. But for now, it’s not really functional.

Reactions: Padelford
I can confirm that even though the USB doesn’t record any video, it creates the entry in the Recent Clips and Saved Clips folder to give you a time stamp. If that’s helpful, that’s the way you can access it.

For now, it’s a busted feature for those of us on HW2. If it gets added to our Tesla.com accounts or the app, so we can login and see the videos/time stamps, that would be awesome. But for now, it’s not really functional.

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll go look up the formatting instructions.

I've got 2019.12.1 on my AP2.0/MCU1 X. I just get a bunch of files on the USB stick that are a minimum 1k size. The file names provide a time stamp, so it seems like everything is there except the video content. So it looks like everything except the video encoding is working for Sentry.

I've got 2019.12.1 on my AP2.0/MCU1 X. I just get a bunch of files on the USB stick that are a minimum 1k size. The file names provide a time stamp, so it seems like everything is there except the video content. So it looks like everything except the video encoding is working for Sentry.

The entire point of sentry is the video is it not? Without videos time stamps aren’t exactly the best intel unless you can cross reference it back to a dashcam.

Reactions: Shateam
Maybe it doesn't record video, but it might deter someone from breaking into your car. Does the red eye come up on the screen and the loud music play?

The red eye displays and it says “Recording” on the center screen (the binnacle also activates and the lights flash). But no sound.

I think the Release Notes said the music only plays if a “serious” threat is happening, such as glass being broken. Someone else can test that particular theory. :)

The red eye displays and it says “Recording” on the center screen (the binnacle also activates and the lights flash). But no sound.

I think the Release Notes said the music only plays if a “serious” threat is happening, such as glass being broken. Someone else can test that particular theory. :)
That’s better than nothing. I’m surprised they gave the red headed stepchild AP2.0 anything at all.

I only tested the activation, put keys away and yanked steering wheel thru window. Got red-eye on MCU1, saying recording.
In the car I've now enabled sentry in the security screen, same behavior, no music, and I'm not breaking my window for the team.

I'll take it too. The thieves don't know which cars have AP2 vs AP2.5/3 anyway, so they don't know the recording is there or not...