Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode reports events, but did not record anything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While on a trip this past week, I parked at a hotel for the night. when I got back to my car in the morning, it said 20 events. car was fine, just wanted to check to see if any wildlife walked by (was in the forest).

put the memory stick in my computer and there were no logs for that evening. There were logs from earlier that day, and later the next day, but nothing for the night when the car reported 20 sentry mode events. My memory stick has 200gb free, so no problem there, and recording worked as expected before and after the night in question. Sentry was definitely on and car screen reported incidents.

Is this a known bug? Did they adjust it so a motion event no longer triggers the cameras to record?

For the dashcam or sentry mode to record it needs to be setup with a properly formatted memory card/flash drive and the media must stay plugged in at all times. You will get a notification or an event either way but if there’s no memory installed the video isn’t kept anywhere. To properly setup the memory, use a computer. First format the memory and create a folder “TeslaCam” exactly like I wrote but without the quotes. Good luck

The card is properly set up, and recorded events that same day, and the next day, it's just that nothing saved overnight when the car said it saw events. I'm also noticing a few other gaps when the car reported events, but it did not create a folder and save anything. appears that it works about 80% of the time the car registered an event. I've been using tesla cam and sentry mode since day one and have never seen this before.

For the dashcam or sentry mode to record it needs to be setup with a properly formatted memory card/flash drive and the media must stay plugged in at all times. You will get a notification or an event either way but if there’s no memory installed the video isn’t kept anywhere. To properly setup the memory, use a computer. First format the memory and create a folder “TeslaCam” exactly like I wrote but without the quotes. Good luck

No, no, he said he's seeing plenty of events, just not the one that triggered the sentry warning.