Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Sensitivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just had Sentry Mode set up for a day recording to USB, and already I have 150 files! I know there are three different camera angles, so realistically, only 50 "events." Even still, this seems like an excessive amount of video files for just one day. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity to where it starts recording, like physical contact with the car, or does it just record whenever it senses anything in its proximity? Thanks.

I have to park on the street outside my London home. Sentry Mode is far too sensitive and records hundreds of events each day as pedestrians walk by on the pavement at least three feet away from the car. Tesla need to reduce the sensitivity of the record function. Or even better allow the owner to reduce it according to the circumstances he is using Sentry Mode. At present, it is more trouble than it is worth in my environment.

Reactions: JES2
For a lot of people the current operation of Sentry mode is okay and you can set it to be on or off for some locations. People will either buy a larger drive for the recording (flash memory is pretty cheap at least) or simply check their drives on a more regular basis to clear out saved files that aren't relevant (with no car damage observed to the car). I maintain 2 - 128GB microSD cards to swap out with each other for the purpose of clearing files on my computer while still having a card in the car recording. And if you walk around your car and don't see anything, you know you can delete anything previously saved without even really looking at the files unless you are concerned beyond car damage.

I can see that for people who need to park on a street where there's a lot of traffic it could be more of an issue however. No doubt as Tesla has more time they'll continue to refine the software where they can. I read somewhere that the backup camera is going to be included soon - a requested dashcam feature (so more flashdrive capacity required). There's the possibility maybe that they could change the operation of Sentry so that older SavedClip files get overwritten. If only Alarm-prompted recordings get locked, that would help people too. Sometimes though you want to see who's been snooping in your windows, or doing something like keying your car where maybe an Alarm state wouldn't be triggered.

50 events in a day is way too much. I had something like that happen once - I had parked under a tree, and somehow the wind blowing some branches right around the front cameras made the thing freak out, and I got some 40 events in about 15 minutes. That was a fluke however - in normal use you only get one or two events per parking period (depending on a lot of factors). Also note that when sentry is tripped, it saves the last nine minutes and the minute afterward, but all the files are about a minute long, so you get a lot more files than actual events. Each "event" is saved to it's own folder however. If you use one of the several file combiners that are available it makes it easier to skim through your videos and find what actually triggered it.

Last edited:
Also note that when sentry is tripped, it saves the last nine minutes and the minute afterward, but all the files are about a minute long, so you get a lot more files than actual events. Each "event" is saved to it's own folder however. If you use one of the several file combiners that are available it makes it easier to skim through your videos and find what actually triggered it.
And, once you combine the files from one event into a single video, the activity that triggered Sentry Mode is usually found at 60 seconds before the end of the video.

I've just had Sentry Mode set up for a day recording to USB, and already I have 150 files! I know there are three different camera angles, so realistically, only 50 "events." Even still, this seems like an excessive amount of video files for just one day. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity to where it starts recording, like physical contact with the car, or does it just record whenever it senses anything in its proximity? Thanks.

Tesla really needs to make Sentry mode more like the Ring app!!! That way we can adjust the sensitivity of the alerts and also allow for live steaming views of all the camera angles on the Model 3!!!

Maybe find a really remote corner of the parking lot...

My issue has been that the alarm has gone off a few times, too. Way too sensitive. Sadly, it has become unusable for the last few releases, so I had to shut it off. I would rather have it just notify me on the phone, if there is an alert (that triggers the camera.) Hoping they spend more time on these items, less on games...