Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am after 2 sentry mode stickers to put on the rear 2 small window sections which are prone to getting smashed by thieves.
Has anyone purchased sentry mode stickers and fancy sharing the price and photos please?

There's loads online and they don't always have the size but usually they are very small so thieves probably won't even bother reading them.

Thieves can read? Do literate thieves take the time? Do undereducated thieves even know what Tesla Sentry Mode does?

Probably in California. Here in Blighty, the process of identify/aprehend/convict/generate herd awareness may take some time
A large number of the smash-and-grabs here in California (and likely elsewhere in the US) are perpetrated by organized gangs of car thieves rather than by some bored teen or some druggie looking for goodies to fence for a quick fix. They operate in groups and use tried-and-true techniques to break into a vehicle in a matter of seconds to check for valuables in the trunk (boot). They know which car models are more vulnerable than others, so they'll target those when casing parked vehicles. This knowledge is shared among gang members operating in different communities, so they're not under-educated when it comes to the art of car break-ins.

Odds are, they are aware of Tesla's introduction of this security feature (YouTube videos abound) even if they may not know it's called "Sentry Mode" specifically. As such, if you're thinking of getting some sort of warning decal, it would be better to have one that emphasizes the presence of security cameras recording their actions rather than one that mainly touts "Sentry Mode".

One lesson learned here is that if you must park in a dicey area and you have nothing in your boot, fold down the rear seats to reveal there's nothing to steal. Not foolproof (since the thief may smash first and peer in afterwards), but just something else proactive you can do to improve your odds.

Last edited:
Sentry Window Decal

Gets $10* off as well using my unique link: Accessorize your Tesla!

(*first purchase of $50 or more)

black_pair_main__84254.1567257822.png

Given the gangs are educated, would the addition of a Sentry mode sticker not suggest that there's at least a half decent USB thumb drive or perhaps even a SSD worth stealing?

Until Sentry files are uploaded to the cloud or stored on the internal SSD it's a bit useless as prevention to a thief that's done their homework.

Given the gangs are educated, would the addition of a Sentry mode sticker not suggest that there's at least a half decent USB thumb drive or perhaps even a SSD worth stealing?

Until Sentry files are uploaded to the cloud or stored on the internal SSD it's a bit useless as prevention to a thief that's done their homework.
Well, an "educated" thief would know about Sentry Mode on a Tesla and how it works, regardless of whether or not there's a decal. So, I'm not sure the presence of one would increase the risk of a break-in simply to steal a USB drive.

Thumbdrives and SSDs aren't worth much and take far too much effort to retrieve, even if it's just to remove evidence of the break-in. Breaking the rear quarter window allows easy visibility to the contents of the boot by simply flipping down the seat back. If the boot is empty, move on to the next vehicle. If there's a bag or something else that looks like it may contain high-yield assets (purse, laptop, etc.), smash the rear passenger window, dive in head first and grab the bag. Even if the car alarm is triggered, you're gone in well under a minute. You're not going to stick around to spend additional time (perhaps with the alarm already blaring) to smash a front row window, dive in, fiddle around with the console lids, perhaps remove an aftermarket console organizer, and rummage around for the USB drive that's maybe worth $20 retail.

If you are aware of Sentry Mode, you'd either skip the Tesla altogether (plenty of other cars to target with less hassle) or you wear a hoodie or otherwise mask your face (a popular apparel item these days) from the cameras when you do the deed. Going after the USB drive in another part of the car adds unnecessary risk for low return.

I may have missed it, but I don't recall reading of any instance of a car thief breaking into a Tesla to steal the USB drive, either before or after the introduction of Sentry Mode.

I'm undecided on the effectiveness of a warning decal. On the one hand, an "uneducated" thief may heed the warning as with any other security camera warnings. On the other hand, one can argue that the presence of such a decal may may leave the impression for an "educated" thief there must be *something* of value in the car that the owner is trying to protect. Maybe in the boot? Let's see what's back there; it'll only take a few seconds.

Last edited:

A hearty recommendation for the Roadie but alas if they pinch the SSD before it gets home to upload... you've lost more than otherwise.

Well, an "educated" thief would know about Sentry Mode on a Tesla and how it works, regardless of whether or not there's a decal. So, I'm not sure the presence of one would increase the risk of a break-in simply to steal a USB drive.

Thumbdrives and SSDs aren't worth much and take far too much effort to retrieve, even if it's just to remove evidence of the break-in. Breaking the rear quarter window allows easy visibility to the contents of the boot by simply flipping down the seat back. If the boot is empty, move on to the next vehicle. If there's a bag or something else that looks like it may contain high-yield assets (purse, laptop, etc.), smash the rear passenger window, dive in head first and grab the bag. Even if the car alarm is triggered, you're gone in well under a minute. You're not going to stick around to spend additional time (perhaps with the alarm already blaring) to smash a front row window, dive in, fiddle around with the console lids, perhaps remove an aftermarket console organizer, and rummage around for the USB drive that's maybe worth $20 retail.

If you are aware of Sentry Mode, you'd either skip the Tesla altogether (plenty of other cars to target with less hassle) or you wear a hoodie or otherwise mask your face (a popular apparel item these days) from the cameras when you do the deed. Going after the USB drive in another part of the car adds unnecessary risk for low return.

I may have missed it, but I don't recall reading of any instance of a car thief breaking into a Tesla to steal the USB drive, either before or after the introduction of Sentry Mode.

I'm undecided on the effectiveness of a warning decal. On the one hand, an "uneducated" thief may heed the warning as with any other security camera warnings. On the other hand, one can argue that the presence of such a decal may may leave the impression for an "educated" thief there must be *something* of value in the car that the owner is trying to protect. Maybe in the boot? Let's see what's back there; it'll only take a few seconds.
I think I'd still try and grab the usb drive, if not for the value then certainly to destroy evidence.