Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode stopped working (2021.4.12)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. My sentry mode stopped working. From all the testing I've done, its not related to SSD/USB. Here are all the steps I've tried:
- Soft Reboot
- Hard reboot
- Swapped the SSD
- Formatted both SSD I tried in the car, and on the computer. SSD's are detected
- Left the car sleep. It's been a few days, and I have sentry mode off at home, so it does go into sleep mode
- Turned off the Bluetooth in my phone and approached the car to try and trigger it. Walked around, pushed it from the front and back. No headlights or screen warnings.
- The Dashcam records and saves video when I press the icon. I can watch the clips in the car and on the computer.

It definitely looks like Sentry not triggering. Not related to any SSD issues.
I'm on the latest version 2021.4.12.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Lourenzo

I have read in other forums about issues with the USB port in the glove compartment. If you have the refreshed model with the USB in the glove try getting a USB-C adapter and using one of the ports in the console.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
I have read in other forums about issues with the USB port in the glove compartment. If you have the refreshed model with the USB in the glove try getting a USB-C adapter and using one of the ports in the console.
Thanks but I have a 2019 Model 3. This ha nothing to do with the usb because sentry mode should trigger even without any usb device connected

Are you saying that the car is generating Sentry Mode events but not recording anything, or that no events are being generated when they should be? Two different issues.
He's saying that sentry mode isn't triggering.
Turned off the Bluetooth in my phone and approached the car to try and trigger it. Walked around, pushed it from the front and back. No headlights or screen warnings.
It definitely looks like Sentry not triggering.
At this point, I'm stumped. It looks like he's done everything he should, and sentry mode just isn't working.

Think it's time to call a service center.

Maybe first ask service to re-push the latest firmware. That has been reported to clear up strange things like your issue and doesn't require you to go to the service center or wait for mobile service.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
My Sentry mode failed me epically in a parking lot this week. When I came out of a store I was met with a significant dent on the crest of driver's door with lost paint, requiring body work. I have to pay the deductible and I'm really pissed off. 🤬 Evidently Tesla has messed something up if we're all experiencing the feature not performing correctly anymore. Wish I could get them to pay my deductible.

Do you have any 3rd party apps polling the data from the car? I have Model S and when using TeslaMaten in cloud and I rarely get any recordings for sentry events. If I use TeslaSpy I get videos recorded most of the time but not always. Sometimes the sentry won't trigger from events outside the car. When I'm not using 3rd party apps it seems like events get recorded as they should. They said in service that car gets in strange state where part of the systems thinks sentry is on and part thinks it's off and that causes this strange behaviour.

My car has been acting weird for months since a couple of SW updates ago.

the doors/trunk don’t always immediately open when I pull on the handle. Then I’m standing out there like an idiot trying to get in. Sentry usually goes off on me in the process. Yesterday after getting in, the car suddenly decided that no key was present and wouldn’t go into drive. After a little bit, it relented then things were fine.

Tesla really needs to spend less time on the stupid video game updates and fart sounds that they keep pumping out and refine their core product.

I was disappointed to see new games added in the last update while this has been going on for months. The software still lacks basic features like being able to voice command a call to someone in your contacts with multiple phone number entries - something that others cars have been able to do for over a decade.

Come on Tesla! Less farts, and more smarts!

/rant over :)

My car has been acting weird for months since a couple of SW updates ago.

the doors/trunk don’t always immediately open when I pull on the handle. Then I’m standing out there like an idiot trying to get in. Sentry usually goes off on me in the process. Yesterday after getting in, the car suddenly decided that no key was present and wouldn’t go into drive. After a little bit, it relented then things were fine.

Tesla really needs to spend less time on the stupid video game updates and fart sounds that they keep pumping out and refine their core product.

I was disappointed to see new games added in the last update while this has been going on for months. The software still lacks basic features like being able to voice command a call to someone in your contacts with multiple phone number entries - something that others cars have been able to do for over a decade.

Come on Tesla! Less farts, and more smarts!

/rant over :)
TOTALLY AGREE! Tesla farts around with all the stupid stuff and doesn't help with real issues. Sentry not working is a REAL issue, especially in Honolulu. I can't get Sentry to work at all. I did all the reboots, reformats. Maybe I should just take my 2021 Tesla model 3 in to the shop. Windows open on their own; charge ports don't open all the time, NO SOUND IN VEHICLE; Screen freezes... Come on Toyota with something new and I'm gone.

Hi everyone. My sentry mode stopped working. From all the testing I've done, its not related to SSD/USB. Here are all the steps I've tried:
- Soft Reboot
- Hard reboot
- Swapped the SSD
- Formatted both SSD I tried in the car, and on the computer. SSD's are detected
- Left the car sleep. It's been a few days, and I have sentry mode off at home, so it does go into sleep mode
- Turned off the Bluetooth in my phone and approached the car to try and trigger it. Walked around, pushed it from the front and back. No headlights or screen warnings.
- The Dashcam records and saves video when I press the icon. I can watch the clips in the car and on the computer.

Lourenzo
Hi Lourenzo,

This is a know bug already confirmed by Tesla. They're working on a fix. I just received my new Tesla Y and is also not working. They are saying this is only for non-radar models.

Hi Lourenzo,

This is a know bug already confirmed by Tesla. They're working on a fix. I just received my new Tesla Y and is also not working. They are saying this is only for non-radar models.

They're saying that but it's not true. Sentry has not worked on my 2021 with radar since about 2021.4.12. I'm on 2021.4.18.2 now and it's still not working. From what I've heard, it seems to not work on any of the non-radar cars and on the radar cars it's inconsistent; it works for some and not for others.

Mike

Reactions: Bulldogge16
- Soft Reboot
- Hard reboot
- Swapped the SSD

Lourenzo
I have the the same problem. It worked fine with Tesla USB until I plugged in the SSD. The sentry mode somehow stop working. Try to plug back the USB and got the same problem.