Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Stopped Working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all—

Is there a good, definitive way to check to see if Sentry Mode has stopped working? And why would it stop working?

The red light is on to indicate Sentry Mode is working, but when I came to the car to knock it around a little bit without my phone or key card near me, the sentry mode never popped up on the screen in the locked car (instead a message that said, ‘press card key to door to unlock’) and there are no notifications saying Sentry Mode was activated?? Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

thanks!

Hi all—

Is there a good, definitive way to check to see if Sentry Mode has stopped working? And why would it stop working?

The red light is on to indicate Sentry Mode is working, but when I came to the car to knock it around a little bit without my phone or key card near me, the sentry mode never popped up on the screen in the locked car (instead a message that said, ‘press card key to door to unlock’) and there are no notifications saying Sentry Mode was activated?? Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

thanks!

I love your phrase. "knock it around a little bit".

It sounds like you are talking about boxing your car. lol

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
and there are no notifications saying Sentry Mode was activated?? Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

I have had the same problem for 3 months, after sentry worked fine for the first nearly-year.

For me, this is indeed a case of Tesla knowing about a bug and not bothering to notify owners who may be subject to it. I have spent a bunch of my own time making sure I'd done nothing wrong, now followed by schduling a half-day for Tesla to visit, then replaced by several phone calls with their remote diagnosis team (cool), all to be told that yes indeed tihs is a known bug which will be fixed in an upcoming 2020.20 update (no time frame available).

Remote diagnosis is awesome. Phone support is awesome (though it is amusing that this technician didn't even know about the updated feature which formats your USB for you).

Witholding information from owners that is costless to share is not cool. If there were 10,000 cars affected, and each owner spent an extra 2 hours searching online, fiddling with their USB, etc to try to fix it, it's already a million dollars of externalized costs just due to not sharing what they know with the people who need to know it, and who trust them.
If instead it's 4 hours each, and some of those cars get vandalized or damaged and are missing the Sentry they were relying on, the costs of silence are greater.

There's nothing I love less than people with information that only they have, that is free to disseminate, and that is highly valuable to others choosing to withhold it.

Reactions: Gresh
Just got my Model 3 back from the Miramar San Diego service center where they took good care of me and fixed the issue with recording sentry mode and Dashcam, there seems to be a logic chip that froze or glitched and remained stuck, no reboot at home would help, they would have to do a total shutdown at the shop of all circuits and reset all computer back to factory. Level 2 engineer was involved since this wasn’t common. Once the restore was all completed the Dashcam started to record again. I dropped it off yesterday June 4th at noon and it was ready by 2:30pm today Jun 5th. Tonight I will test Sentry mode. A beautiful red Model S 75D was given to me as a loaner to take home over night. Enterprise Car rentals is right there. All was covered and even the loaner. This was my first Service call with Tesla and I can tell you it was the best experience ever.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS and elf9
Just got my Model 3 back from the Miramar San Diego service center where they took good care of me and fixed the issue with recording sentry mode and Dashcam, there seems to be a logic chip that froze or glitched and remained stuck, no reboot at home would help, they would have to do a total shutdown at the shop of all circuits and reset all computer back to factory. Level 2 engineer was involved since this wasn’t common. Once the restore was all completed the Dashcam started to record again. I dropped it off yesterday June 4th at noon and it was ready by 2:30pm today Jun 5th. Tonight I will test Sentry mode. A beautiful red Model S 75D was given to me as a loaner to take home over night. Enterprise Car rentals is right there. All was covered and even the loaner. This was my first Service call with Tesla and I can tell you it was the best experience ever.

Fred

Glat they sorted out your rare issue.

This is not the same as the one I described, apparently.
In my case Dashcam never stopped working. Sentry mode fails to trigger at all. My case was a bug introduced by Tesla's own software update, based on the numerous reports of others.

Last edited:
I had the same issue. Dashcam worked fine but Sentry did not "activate" even after leaning into the car without my phone in my pocket, etc. I tried re-setting - nothing.

Then I reformatted the USB that was plugged in using the "reformat" button in the car. (I first had to unplug my other music USB so there was only one USB plugged in - the one I use to save dashcam etc) - once it reformatted, Sentry started working - will see if it sticks.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt