Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode to Defer 12-volt battery replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
As I understand it, when Sentry mode is active the cars remains awake, which means the DC-DC converter is supplying the 12-volt system. If that is the case, if we see a 12-volt battery replacement warming can we not just turn Sentry mode on, and leave it on, until the battery can be replaced? Yes this will cost about 6 kWh / day, but then there should be no risk of not being able to wake-up the car.

Thoughts?

Reactions: DerbyDave
The HV contactors are not closed the entire time the car is “awake” with Sentry on. They still cycle open/closed to charge the 12v.

If anything, what you propose would put extra stress on the 12v system based on my understanding of how it works.

Last edited:
The HV contactors are not closed the entire time the car is “awake” with Sentry on. They still cycle open/closed to charge the 12v.

If anything, what you propose would put extra stress on the 12v system based on my understanding of how it works.
When people complain about the car never going to sleep turning off Sentry seems to be the solution. Not really sure how we can get a definitive answer, but it is a key point.

Yes for sure, but “car sleeping” and “contactors open” are not the same and one does not necessarily imply the other.
I have found a few posting like:

“Sentry will keep the car driveable”

“In sentry, the HV never disconnects as the car never sleeps.“

“Since the Sentry Mode keeps the vehicle awake, the high-voltage battery should also be permanently connected.”

But I guess it is unlikely I’ll find a definitive answer.