Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Update. Just received a call from my insurance claim person. He said he will waive my deductible as the footage is clear that the other party is liable. They will run search based on the person's license plate and vin# and reach out to them.

I'm really surprised this thread is getting so many responses. Hopefully this can bring attention to how useful Sentry mode is. I know prior to this incident, I just happened to turn it on every now and then without giving it much thought. After this, I will now enable it every time I go out.

Quick Update. Just received a call from my insurance claim person. He said he will waive my deductible as the footage is clear that the other party is liable. They will run search based on the person's license plate and vin# and reach out to them.

I'm really surprised this thread is getting so many responses. Hopefully this can bring attention to how useful Sentry mode is. I know prior to this incident, I just happened to turn it on every now and then without giving it much thought. After this, I will now enable it every time I go out.

Be aware that even if your insurance company is waiving your deductible this incident will count against your policy if the other driver's insurance doesn't kick in and cover this incident.

If this will show up in any way on your insurance due to the other driver not having coverage or forcing you into using your own coverage then it might well be better for you to just eat the cost.

My wife was hit at low speed in a parking lot and the other driver did not have coverage so we had to use our own. We ended up seeing our premiums go up 20% from that one incident.

What does the damage look like

OP you should edit the first post and put the link there as well.

I would be interested in seeing some pics of the damage done to your car. It looks like the door basically bounced off of your car a few times adding to the damage.

Be aware that even if your insurance company is waiving your deductible this incident will count against your policy if the other driver's insurance doesn't kick in and cover this incident.

If this will show up in any way on your insurance due to the other driver not having coverage or forcing you into using your own coverage then it might well be better for you to just eat the cost.

My wife was hit at low speed in a parking lot and the other driver did not have coverage so we had to use our own. We ended up seeing our premiums go up 20% from that one incident.
My claim's person assured me that my insurance will not go up as the footage shows I am not at fault. Not sure if this is based on different state laws or specific to the insurance provider or coverage level.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I would be interested in seeing some pics of the damage done to your car. It looks like the door basically bounced off of your car a few times adding to the damage.
Here you go. The paint was still fresh as I just picked up the car on Tuesday. So I literally had it only a few days before it happend. The door scraped off an entire chunk of clearcoat and paint.

Attachments

• TeslaDmg.png
    TeslaDmg.png
    827.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Here you go. The paint was still fresh as I just picked up the car on Tuesday. So I literally had it only a few days before it happend. The door scraped off an entire chunk of clearcoat and paint.

Dang that's bad! Sentry mode sounds awesome, and I'll definitely be using it when I get my car. My current daily has very heavy duty steel running boards (technically called rock sliders) running down the side, and it's quite fun to watch people swing their doors open into them. :D

Reactions: Kain
Glad to hear that you are on your way to getting this resolved and moving on.

For me its a safe assumption that people here in the states are somewhat mindless/clueless and do whatever they want without fear of repercussions.

Worth mentioning that I wish our culture was more like Japan in that sense, (just came back from a trip there), as people has nothing but respect for each other.

Reactions: SO16 and Kain

It does vary by state. I used to live in Colorado and now live in California. Colorado it doesn't matter whose fault it is, both party's insurance goes up. In California it's illegal for Insurance companies to increase your rate when you are not at fault.

I only had ceramic coat on the car but did not even get a chance to get it reapplied since I got my car back from body shop this past Tuesday. I literally only had my car back less than a week and paint was still not fully cured. The entire chunk of clear coat and paint came off the car from the way she swung the door open. This was on Big Basin Way in Saratoga. I was parked in the public parking spot behind the plaza where Hong's cafe is I think.

By the way, what you described was exactly what happened to me with TeslaCam. I stopped the footage right after the accident to save it from getting overwritten as that was how my old dashcam worked. Instead, that caused my footage to get corrupted. I came home only to find the footage of everything up until the traffic light before the accident. Now I know to make sure I give it a few minutes before I hit pause and download the footage.

I totally agree with you about the possibility of TeslaCam to make people more aware of not to pull these hit and runs knowing they are possibly being monitored.
What do you mean "pause" video and download? I though one only had to press the cam button on the screen.What am I missing step wise?

What do you mean "pause" video and download? I though one only had to press the cam button on the screen.What am I missing step wise?

No you're right - you just tap the cam button. You should wait a minute or two before you do it (after the incident you want saved). And then also make sure you stop recording with a long press before pulling out your drive.

So I was the one that got side swiped a few months ago in my model 3 and the TeslaCam somehow corrupted the last minute footage where the accident happened.

My car ended up being in the shop for over a month and just got it back on tuesday. Today I went out with my girl in Saratoga and came back to find someone had opened the door and slammed into my newly replaced and painted door and took off an entire chunk of paint and left. I literally felt like this is another nightmare situation again even though I kept my sentry mode activated.

Well, I just got home and decided to review the footage and lo and behold, the car captured the entire incident on the right cam. You see the lady get in her car, and swung her door open and hit mine, then had a surprised look on her face and stare right at my camera not knowing what to do before quickly getting in the passenger seat of their car and take off. Thankfully their car was parked racer status and when it was leaving, a car pass by and they had to stop which gave me perfect view of their license plate and model.

After the whole nightmare last time (still not settled), it looks like Tesla definitely redeemed itself lol. I just reported them to sheriff's department for hit and run.

tldr: Sentry mode isn't just for deterring break ins!

[ TEG mod edit: Adding video that was later provided ] :

That has to be one of the most careless door openings ever. Double lines give you more room, neither car appears close to the line... it’s so negligent it’s almost like you had to try to do it...

So I was the one that got side swiped a few months ago in my model 3 and the TeslaCam somehow corrupted the last minute footage where the accident happened.

My car ended up being in the shop for over a month and just got it back on tuesday. Today I went out with my girl in Saratoga and came back to find someone had opened the door and slammed into my newly replaced and painted door and took off an entire chunk of paint and left. I literally felt like this is another nightmare situation again even though I kept my sentry mode activated.

Well, I just got home and decided to review the footage and lo and behold, the car captured the entire incident on the right cam. You see the lady get in her car, and swung her door open and hit mine, then had a surprised look on her face and stare right at my camera not knowing what to do before quickly getting in the passenger seat of their car and take off. Thankfully their car was parked racer status and when it was leaving, a car pass by and they had to stop which gave me perfect view of their license plate and model.

After the whole nightmare last time (still not settled), it looks like Tesla definitely redeemed itself lol. I just reported them to sheriff's department for hit and run.

tldr: Sentry mode isn't just for deterring break ins!

[ TEG mod edit: Adding video that was later provided ] :
This is why I am in favor of capital punishment.

No you're right - you just tap the cam button. You should wait a minute or two before you do it (after the incident you want saved). And then also make sure you stop recording with a long press before pulling out your drive.
Oh. I just gave it one long press then removed. No wonder I am having an issue. So 1 short tap to record to usb; 1 long press to safely remove stick. Got it. Will try later thanks.