Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode triggering every minute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was parked at charging station earlier tonight and had sentry mode on. One of my buddies called and told me my headlights were blinking every 1-2 minutes with nothing around it. I came by and witness the same thing. I had 132 events triggered went into the car.. Which is wierd I rebooted the car but it did the same thing again with sentry mode on. Anyone else experience this? Hoping its a glitch that goes away.

I just had this happen to me. 359 Sentry Mode events in one night. My Sister said she couldn't sleep because the lights would flash every 60 seconds. Started as soon as it got dark and then stopped when it got light in the morning. Each recording was one minute apart. No rain, no wind or critters. Looking at the camera footage I can see a lot of digital "noise" in one of the cameras. I wonder if that poor low light quality image is considered motion by the software. I rebooted the computer and have not seen this issue again.
359 Sentry Mode Events.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Same thing is happening to me. At night with no wind or other activity, the sentry mode is triggering about every minute. I can have hundreds in just one night. My Model Y has software version is 2020.36.3.
Could the LED street lights be activating the sentry?
I park in an alley and sentry mode was a feature I was relying on for security, so turning it off at home is not a great option.
It would be great if Sentry could tune itself, so repeat activities could be ignored.
Ideas?

Same thing is happening to me. At night with no wind or other activity, the sentry mode is triggering about every minute. I can have hundreds in just one night. My Model Y has software version is 2020.36.3.
Could the LED street lights be activating the sentry?
I park in an alley and sentry mode was a feature I was relying on for security, so turning it off at home is not a great option.
It would be great if Sentry could tune itself, so repeat activities could be ignored.
Ideas?
Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for you, but would like to remind you that even without Sentry Mode on, the car still has a very functional alarm system. IMO, one of the best ones around, as the extremely loud music blasting at you inside the car will be enough to ward off all but the deafest thieves. It isn't a perfect system, but no car alarm systems are... there is at least one method to break into the car that won't trigger the alarm, but it's certainly better than nothing.

It will also send you a message through the Tesla phone app that the alarm has been triggered.

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for you, but would like to remind you that even without Sentry Mode on, the car still has a very functional alarm system. IMO, one of the best ones around, as the extremely loud music blasting at you inside the car will be enough to ward off all but the deafest thieves. It isn't a perfect system, but no car alarm systems are... there is at least one method to break into the car that won't trigger the alarm, but it's certainly better than nothing.

It will also send you a message through the Tesla phone app that the alarm has been triggered.

Thanks Phlier. I tried the reboot of both the display and the car, but finding the same problem tonight.
I guess I'll have to turn off sentry mode. I have a service appointment scheduled, but I don't have a lot of faith that they will provide a solution, but I'm going to give it a try.
Here is an example of the directory showing the trigger pattern. This record is mid-day, so probably not the streetlight.
Thanks again for the community support.
Sentry Trigger example.png

I think I found the answer. It seems I was not doing a thorough re-boot. I would hold down the brake, press both scroll wheels until the screen went blank, then release everything. Not good enough...
You need to hold the brake and scroll wheels down past the blank screen until the Tesla logo appears again on the screen.
After holding until the logo appeared, the Sentry seems to be functioning properly.
I’ll be checking over the next days.

Nope, that didn't work. 561 triggered alerts last night with no wind or other activity in the alley. I guess I'll need to go forward with the Service appointment. I'm still wondering is an LED streetlight might be the problem, since I don't have the problem during the day in the same location.

The street lights do seem to be a common denominator with this problem.

When you guys play the sentry video back, does it look like the street lights are flashing?

Someone should tweet Elon about this. I'd do it, but I think he has me on ignore by now. ;)

I’m having the same issue. It could be coincidental but I believe it started when we moved and our parking changed. We have a fluorescent light in view of the front cameras.

I thought it was a new software bug until I found this thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 212
Just had same issue. Parked at home in garage. Started happening right after erasing my usb flash via car menu though. First time I’ve done that.
Figured it out...apparently in process of erasing my flash drive I had turned on sentry even though it isn’t supposed to be on while at home (after erasing I had noticed that the manual save option wasn’t working so I must have enabled sentry by accident after doing a reset of the car computer and pushing the sentry tab on and off a few times until I got a capture...guess I left it on and all the clutter in the garage freaked out sentry all night long :) ). So, never mind.