Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Turned Itself Off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received this notification while my car was sitting safely in the garage.

"Sentry mode has turned off due to a sentry system error."

Has anyone received this notification before? I was able to turn it back on right away in the app. Wondering if this has anything to due with the latest software, given I just updated yesterday and prior had never received this notification.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.43.51 PM.png

My husband was getting this in the past on his MS. This was months ago now back in 2019. He would have the car parked in a lot while at work and sometimes he would just get a couple of the notices but a few days he would get like a slew of them every 10 minutes, so many times during the day. I had screen captures of it for the most part when it happened and it seemed to have started around the same time late morning and into the late afternoon for him, always while he was at work. The car was sometimes parked at work and sometimes in a VTA parking lot so not always the same location. Very very annoying. Exact same message as you got.

At first he would go out to his car at work wondering what was going on but never finding anything. He'd reset with the app. He reported it and even had them try to trouble shoot remotely since I had my iphone screen captures (date and time stamped). He's not exactly sure any more what happened but think maybe it was due to a memory leak and maybe there was a software update that addressed it. Seems to think they knew at some point it was a known issue though. He did reboot the car (not sure what type of reboot was recommended) and it took care of it for a while. He's had several updates since then and knock-on-wood hasn't had it happen in a long while.

I have a Model 3 and just updated to 2020.12.5 last night. I don't have sentry mode set while at home however and with CV haven't been driving much at all and when out generally going through the drive thru so not parked in lot with sentry on. What version are you on?

Last edited:
I had never had this before, but a couple days after upgrading to 2020.12.5 I started to get it and have been getting it like every other day for 2 weeks or so. (Cause - effect ? who knows.) I'm in an M3 with 2.5 hardware, delivery date 12/2018. I had an old flash drive in there, so did a bit of research on that and went for a 128 gb samsung multimedia card and quality usb adapter. Just installed that last night, and sure enough a couple hours ago, got it again. I've been researching this and at least one person posted that Tesla TS claimed it was a write issue to drive, and/or a free space issue. That clearly does not seem to be the case - 120 gigs free on a brand new multimedia card that was instantly recognized by the car (and yes its FAT32 with the proper folder name and syntax created). Also, people have reported it without a drive plugged in.

I've been able to simply turn Sentry back on each time once I notice the notification, but what a pita, and if it happens in the middle of the night, I'm basically sans sentry until I wake again. Important for me to be able to have Sentry on at home.

I would love to hear about anyone who's solved this. Ive done a scroll wheel reboot once (fixes my radio which craps out about every 3 months) a day ago so that did not do the trick. Have to say, first Tesla issue I'm truly bummed out about.

Is SENTRY turning off- or dashcam?

Sentry doesn't record anything (dashcam does) so SENTRY turning off wouldn't be an issue with space or the recording device.... you can turn sentry on without even HAVING a recording device in the car. (not so dashcam)

Is SENTRY turning off- or dashcam?

Sentry doesn't record anything (dashcam does) so SENTRY turning off wouldn't be an issue with space or the recording device.... you can turn sentry on without even HAVING a recording devi
ce in the car. (not so dashcam)
I get what you're saying, but obviously there are sentry recordings so I guess that's why people were wondering if a drive write failure could be the culprit. But as I mentioned, others have made that very point: they get the message even without a drive being inserted.

But to answer your question, it's sentry that is automatically turned off with the message. Here's a screen shot of the error posted from another user. Checking the app shows sentry turned off. You can then turn it right back on, but still ...
sentry system error.png

Just received this notification while my car was sitting safely in the garage.

"Sentry mode has turned off due to a sentry system error."

Has anyone received this notification before? I was able to turn it back on right away in the app. Wondering if this has anything to due with the latest software, given I just updated yesterday and prior had never received this notification.

View attachment 532546
I just experienced that 3 days ago. It worked fine thereafter. HW 2.5 model long range rwd.

Have had this error at least 3 times since I got the update. Seems to happen after Sentry Mode has been on for several hours (usually a few hours before the end of my work day). Not sure if it's triggered by an actual sentry event (ie someone walks by the car, and instead of recording them it spazzes out and deactivates?). I usually come back to 1 event a day with my car, and have noticed very few lately. I figured it was a new bug in the recent software update. HW2.5

Have had this error at least 3 times since I got the update. Seems to happen after Sentry Mode has been on for several hours (usually a few hours before the end of my work day). Not sure if it's triggered by an actual sentry event (ie someone walks by the car, and instead of recording them it spazzes out and deactivates?). I usually come back to 1 event a day with my car, and have noticed very few lately. I figured it was a new bug in the recent software update. HW2.5

I don't think it's caused by a sentry event. Mine has been deactivating itself regularly since the 20.12.5 update as well. So to test it out, I turned the sentry on late last night to see if it would trigger in my closed garage, and...

Sentry.jpg

It stopped working at 8:27 this morning.

In retrospect, I probably should have gotten in the car immediately and sent a trouble report to Tesla.

Same issue here, seemingly coincided with the last software update. Sentry mode will turn off 1-2 times/day with no obvious pattern. Error message will pop up on my phone and I’m able to go into the app and turn on Sentry mode right away. Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I guess we wait for a software fix.