Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode USB drive too slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve started to get this recently on occasion too. Most of the time it’s fine, but occasionally won’t record.

I have a super high speed (read & write) usb stick that is much faster than the recommended speed so I’m pretty convinced it’s not the drive.

Edit - usb drive is up to 400 MB/s read and 200 MB/s write.

When using an ordinary USB 3 connector a Samsung T5 has speeds of 433MB/s read and 323MB/s write. Unfortunately the Model 3 doesn't have USB-C, but if it did then the T5 would have speeds of 540MB/s read and 515MB/s write.

It may well be that the much enhanced write speed of the T5 is the reason it seems to work well.

• Informative
Reactions: DanTW_GB
I’ve started to get this recently on occasion too. Most of the time it’s fine, but occasionally won’t record.

I have a super high speed (read & write) usb stick that is much faster than the recommended speed so I’m pretty convinced it’s not the drive.

There has been a lot of passionate discussion about this whole issue. It's not as simple as overall rated drive speed, which is why SSDs and SD cards are better, as they have the kind of performance profile necessary for the continuous writing needed by the cameras.

• Informative

Which usb drive is it and how did you measure the speed? Up to says nothing.. it's the continues write speed that is important and also if it can withstand high temperatures because it is in is continues.

• Informative
After speed the big problem is durability. Teslas do a lot of writes and this will wear out a USB, SSD or an SD card.
The best solutions are either:
a) a big SSD so that the writes are distributed across a lot of storage
b) an "endurance" SD card that is designed for multiple writes

i've gone for a 128GB Sandisk endurance which are pretty cheap and I will just replace it when it wears out. hope to get at least a year from it.

Rumour that 2019.40 software release relaxes the 'too slow' conditions. MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

I wish I could understand the reasons for spurious corruption a few hours after a drive is inserted. Second time this happened to me now and it was definitely ejected after turning off the dashcam - maybe more time needed to wait before removing. I wish my setup had a drive activity light. My suspicion is that Win 10 tries to 'fix things' on next insertion to view even if the prompt is ignored then when reinserted back into the car, after a while (and drive confirmed immediately after insertion that it can write by saving clip) TeslaCam runs a file system check (fsck) then throws a wobbly and declares the drive of incorrect format - needs a reformat to fix.

i keep getting an error message saying my USB drive is too slow to record from my M3’s camera. It’s USB 3 so should be f, but obviously isn’t. I’d be very grateful for recommendations as to a super-speedy drive I can use.

It doesn't need to be super speedy, just able to sustain write speeds > 4 MB/s, the operative word being sustain as some devices can slow over time or as capacity fills. A reformat often resolves and post v10 keeps sentry mode videos to reasonable size to reduce the need for the drive to slow as it gets fuller.

it’s this one.....

Patriot 512GB Supersonic Rage Elite USB 3.1 Type A, USB 3.0 Flash Drive With Transfer Speeds of Up To 400MB/sec https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NLL9SZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zmEaEbRNH7JVV

Well, don't believe the info presented there but look for real world reviews or test the speeds yourself using a speedtest utility.

I personally use the SanDisk Ultra Dual M3.0 128GB : https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Android-Devices-Computers/dp/B01M0QR22B

I never had any issues with this in the 8 months its in use but as its just 20 EUR I'm not expecting it to last but it is super small and convenient.

After speed the big problem is durability. Teslas do a lot of writes and this will wear out a USB, SSD or an SD card.

A couple of notes on this that might be helpful:

-- The better flash drives (and all the SSDs) do wear leveling, which distributes the writes more evenly across the drive to prolong life of the unit.
-- Assuming a conservative 1000 write cycles (most are MUCH more) and 8MB/sec write (double the current requirement), a 128GB drive should give well over a year of use before wearing out when used 8 hours a day (way more than most users, I suspect).
-- If you partition the drive (one for music, one for dashcam etc), you still get the WHOLE drive for wear leveling of dashcam, because wear leveling happens at the block level ("underneath" the partitioning so to speak). So if you get a 512GB SSD and use a 64GB partition for dashcam, you will get 3-4 years before the drive wears out, even though dashcam is still only 64GB partition.

Reactions: Roy W.
Assuming a conservative 1000 write cycles (most are MUCH more) and 8MB/sec write (double the current requirement), a 128GB drive should give well over a year of use before wearing out when used 8 hours a day (way more than most users, I suspect).

Believe it or not, but there are people that actually have Sentry Mode on 24x7, I'm not one of them by the way.....

But sentry mode records much much less than dash cam... and only when triggered ... so it's nothing like having dash cam recording 24hrs.

Sentry writes to the drive all the time it is enabled. That is why there is several minutes saved footage leading up to a sentry event. At present, there is no evidence that any footage is buffered to RAM, it is streamed to the drive on the fly, hence the 4MB/s required write speed.