Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at adding an SSD for sentry mode, but my front two USB ports are already in use with Tesla's wireless phone charger. Can anyone recommend a USB splitter and SSD drive that would work well so I can use both the wireless phone charger (which can charge two phones at once) AND also have sentry mode / dashcam active?

Thanks!

I have a JedaHub on back order, a bit pricy but hoping it works out well; I like that it has an enclosed area for SSD.
- Jeda Products | Tesla Model 3 USB Hub

Currently using Samsung SSD, also pricy
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073H552FJ/

There are probably a ton of decent SSD on Amazon that are not as expensive. You might want to use the search and read up on issues people have had with drive speeds, I think it will fail to write to some of the slower ones, but I don’t have first hand experience.

You probably already know the steps to set it up once you have the SSD?
- format the drive to Fat32
- create a directory (Folder) on the drive named ‘TeslaCam’
- plug it into the car
- profit $

I formatted my 1TB drive using Disc Utilities on Mac without issue, if you are on Windows you might run into trouble formatting drives greater than 32 GB; I think the built-in program can’t do it and you need a third party one. 32 GB is probably plenty of space though.

I've gone through a few iterations but have steered clear of SSD as I think it is overkill and the most expensive option.

V1 was the Sabrent 4 port USB hub with the Samsung Bar. When I added the Taptes wireless charger (which comes with splitters), it was a lot of wires and bar stopped working when they added more cameras.
V2 was the same with an old USB2 microsd card reader and 16 gb card instead of the Bar. Keep the Apple lightning SD card reader ($30) in the console for reading cards.
V3 is now the Jeda hub with Ugreen microsd USB stick, Samsung 128 gb microsd, same Taptes charger, same Apple reader.

I'm pretty happy with the current setup since it is the cleanest and easiest to retrieve videos from. It's also likely the cheapest, since microsd even with the readers is way less $ than a single SSD and takes up less room.

I want Dashcam/Sentry, Music, Cell phone 1, Cell phone 2. I've ordered one of these, and I'll let you know if that works.

Works perfectly.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 8.17.34 AM.jpg

BTW, the layout of the phone shelf suggests that you can position the micro-USB plug so that you can just mate your phone with it with one hand. That doesn't work, does it?

Reactions: SoccerMan94043
They should make or add USB slots in the frunk because it is more secure. You can't open the frunk without control of the car. Anyone who knows where your usb port is right now can break the window and just yank out the drives and the sentry is as good as none.

right now can break the window and just yank out the drives and the sentry is as good as none

From Page 135 of the owners manual.

> Note: When the Alarm state is triggered, the most recent six seconds prior to the security event may be sent to Tesla for temporary backup for approximately 72 hours. You can enable or disable the collection of this video at any time by touching "DATA SHARING" in Controls > Safety & Security.

So if sentry mode is on and someone breaks the window it should enable 'Alarm' mode and upload the previous 6 seconds of footage to Tesla servers. If Data Sharing is on. Better than nothing.

I've gone through a few iterations but have steered clear of SSD as I think it is overkill and the most expensive option.

V1 was the Sabrent 4 port USB hub with the Samsung Bar. When I added the Taptes wireless charger (which comes with splitters), it was a lot of wires and bar stopped working when they added more cameras.
V2 was the same with an old USB2 microsd card reader and 16 gb card instead of the Bar. Keep the Apple lightning SD card reader ($30) in the console for reading cards.
V3 is now the Jeda hub with Ugreen microsd USB stick, Samsung 128 gb microsd, same Taptes charger, same Apple reader.

I'm pretty happy with the current setup since it is the cleanest and easiest to retrieve videos from. It's also likely the cheapest, since microsd even with the readers is way less $ than a single SSD and takes up less room.

I have taptes charger and like it. Can’t quite figure out how I want to handle sentry/dash cam set up. So V3 is taptes, apple lightning SD reader, Ugreen microsd USB, and Samsung128 microsd. That’s all I need?

thanks!

I have taptes charger and like it. Can’t quite figure out how I want to handle sentry/dash cam set up. So V3 is taptes, apple lightning SD reader, Ugreen microsd USB, and Samsung128 microsd. That’s all I need?

thanks!

Yes, I basically use the Ugreen USB0 with the microsd card just like a thumbdrive and it works perfectly. Then if I need to view it, I pop the card out and read it on my phone with the Apple reader and the SD card adapter that came with the microsd card.

Slight thread-hack, but I have a Sandisk 500g SSD, and the only format option is exFAT, anyone know if that will work instead of FAT32?

The built-in Windows format utility only lets you go up to 32GB in FAT32. You can format larger drives using a third party utility: Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

I'm sure someone knowledgeable about Macs could give you advice if that's what you have.