Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode - Use an old phone as USB drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, not sure you would need otg cable. If you don’t have old device sure, may not be the most economical choice, but who doesn’t have a number of older mobile phones?
Also, as mentioned, network access via wifi.
Am I missing something?

Can you make a TeslaCam folder at the root of the old phone, and is it formatted as Fat32 (both requirements of teslacam)?

Reactions: nomis_nehc
I have a really old iPod I was thinking about hooking up as sentry cam storage, but then I decided to go with a Raspberry Pi setup to auto transfer the footage to a network share when the car connects to the home WiFi automatically.

It was a bit of a pain to setup, but now it works well and reliably.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I was also considering something like the Raspberry Pi but thought I’d give this a go first, since it’s pretty much free (for me at least, and I think many). I threw an old blackberry z30 in there and seems promising enough. Not exactly how I want it so will continue to test different set-ups. Maybe try with an old Galaxy S5 as well.
With the z30, it seemed to record just fine. Thing is, while it’s mounted you can’t access via wifi. Would prefer to never have to touch it.

I was also considering something like the Raspberry Pi but thought I’d give this a go first, since it’s pretty much free (for me at least, and I think many). I threw an old blackberry z30 in there and seems promising enough. Not exactly how I want it so will continue to test different set-ups. Maybe try with an old Galaxy S5 as well.
With the z30, it seemed to record just fine. Thing is, while it’s mounted you can’t access via wifi. Would prefer to never have to touch it.

while it’s mounted you can’t access via wifi is an issue with wifi usb sticks too. Great idea though to make it automated and reuse old phones (i have a ton!)

Reactions: GpkTom
Excellent news, mounting issue isn’t a big deal.
As soon as the car powers down the USB ports it unmounts and voila, access. It auto mounts when the car is on and stays mounted when sentry mode is on. Pretty much exactly how I want it, and again, free. Only thing to test further is the write quality. Hope it’s not all glitchy.
Summary:
Use an old phone with memory card slot as your USB drive;
Provides for instant viewing from in car when needed;
Provides you with network access to recordings, no swapping in and out.

Excellent news, mounting issue isn’t a big deal.
As soon as the car powers down the USB ports it unmounts and voila, access. It auto mounts when the car is on and stays mounted when sentry mode is on. Pretty much exactly how I want it, and again, free. Only thing to test further is the write quality. Hope it’s not all glitchy.
Summary:
Use an old phone with memory card slot as your USB drive;
Provides for instant viewing from in car when needed;
Provides you with network access to recordings, no swapping in and out.

Perfect. How did you label the memory card to TeslaCam? Can you just use/label the phone's internal memory?

also instructions for network access to recordings?

Thx OP I'm glad I didn't buy any wifi stick

Perfect. How did you label the memory card to TeslaCam? Can you just use/label the phone's internal memory?

also instructions for network access to recordings?

Thx OP I'm glad I didn't buy any wifi stick
Standard setup. Fat32 with the teslacam folder. Didn’t try with the internal memory given the fat32 requirement. As for the network, smb and any other smart device (TV, Phone etc.) will be able to access it.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Standard setup. Fat32 with the teslacam folder. Didn’t try with the internal memory given the fat32 requirement. As for the network, smb and any other smart device (TV, Phone etc.) will be able to access it.

I guess I could hook up phone via usb to PC and format Fat32 and create teslacam folder.

This could open up a whole range of apps. One benefit for those w/o streaming would be to d/l songs etc. remotely. Separate partitions right? does it have to be labeled specific

Thanks -
Really interested in this for the WiFi access to videos.

I’m an Apple iPhone user.

Could you suggest a suitable phone to use?

Any other info?

THANKS!

Based on what the OP posted, you will need a phone that has a memory card slot (since there is a requirement to have the media be fat32, and need to put a teslacam folder at the root of the storage. I dont think that is going to work for any iPhone as none of them have ever had a memory slot.

try using an old android phone you have with a memory slot.