Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode used 18 miles of battery overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really. Sentry Mode recording all the time even without anything triggering it. It saved the clips in the 60 min (180 files) folder of RecentClip just like DashCam does. The older clips get deleted in that folder so it is always 60 min. Now when something triggered the "HAL 2000", it will move 30 to 33 of those files (Triggered Minute + Previous 9 Minutes + a partial minute after the trigger) to a timestamped folder under SavedClip folder. It always use about 1 mile per hour when Sentry Mode is on. When it is on, the car does not sleep. You can tell because if you try to connect it with the app, it comes up immediately (or really fast).

To avoid running out of space on USB drive, you need to know how to park. Do not ever face a direction with heavy foot traffic. Cars traffic is fine.. it only trigger on human traffic. Best place to park is with front facing another car. Drivers and passengers parked next to you on the side entering/existing will trigger it. I once parked at a doctor office, and the driver of the car next to me go in and out of his car like 10 times in one hour. I came back and had to go thru like 10 folders full of clips of him... I almost wanted to wait for him to come again and ask him why are you getting in and out of your car so many freaking times????
I’m sure you’re right but I’d check your power usage. There is a definite difference between quiet, low activation periods and busy, high activation/save periods. There is a marked power use difference.

Are you new to tech or something?
The poster was just posing an unexpected performance parameter he was trying to get feedback on.

This type of confirmation is normal esp. with new technologies.

Are you new to the forum or did you just miss the other 100 similar complaints...you know like, I just got something for free and it’s not perfect, so I’ll complain.

• Disagree
Reactions: Reeler
I have a similar or the same issue. 10 miles of range drop overnight. Sentry mode seems to trigger and flash headlights all night. I get between 150-350 events overnight. Wasn't an issue before. I have a 32 / 64gb USB thumb drive. Is that a factor? It only does this when parked at night at home. During the day sentry mode works normal and I get the usual 1-2 events. Help / suggestions anyone? Or is this a malfunction?

I found if I turn on sentry mode when I’m in my garage, it doesn’t recognize that location as home and flashes like in a parking garage. I have to be away from home, then turn it on, then it works properly.
I just leave sentry mode turned on and exclude locations where I park in a garage. It has never turned on in my garage.

Sentry does seem to use a good bit of power, but my guess is that most of it is running the computer for motion-detection and recording. Cameras themselves probably only use 2-3 watts each or less. Even my home 4k PoE cameras with IR illumination max out at 4 watts.

I have a similar or the same issue. 10 miles of range drop overnight. Sentry mode seems to trigger and flash headlights all night. I get between 150-350 events overnight. Wasn't an issue before. I have a 32 / 64gb USB thumb drive. Is that a factor? It only does this when parked at night at home. During the day sentry mode works normal and I get the usual 1-2 events. Help / suggestions anyone? Or is this a malfunction?

Is 10 miles of range drop overnight with sentry mode on NOT normal for you? I remember it drains about 1 mile per hour regardless of how many events you got when sentry mode is on. Now I have no idea why you got so many events. Maybe you could check some of the clips and maybe see what triggered them. Hopefully not a rat!

Is 10 miles of range drop overnight with sentry mode on NOT normal for you? I remember it drains about 1 mile per hour regardless of how many events you got when sentry mode is on. Now I have no idea why you got so many events. Maybe you could check some of the clips and maybe see what triggered them. Hopefully not a rat!
1 mph drain using sentry mode is normal. Remember that when using sentry, even if you don’t have triggers, it’s still recording so the number of triggers is irrelevant. But it is super sensitive. I park at the airport for four or five days every week and routinely have over 5,000 triggers when I return.

I lost 21 miles in about 18 hours. That comes to about 5kw power usage. Seems like a lot for cameras and a computer.

It comes to about 5 kWh (energy), not kW (power). That works out to about 250W, which is about right for the car being "on" but not driving. Excessive for what's essentially a dashcam, but it's a lot more: 2 decently powered computers run (display computer and AP computer), plus a coolant pump for the above, amongst a lot of small things that probably add up. It's meant to drive, not be a good dashcam.