Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Useless in City...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I leave my car parked in the street in NYC, where you need sentry mode the most. Current power draw using sentry mode makes this feature unusable in city environment. I Charged my car on Monday to 50%, and its now Friday and its at 22%.

So im literally burning 22kwh a week just running sentry mode and wearing the battery down with no miles put on. Kinda sucks in a place you need it the most its unusable unless your plug in to your suburban charger where you dont need it.

Anyone else figure out a way to deal with this that does not require this much power to run?

I'm finding myself with the same issue. It's a battery drain plus it is not discreet (flashing lights) enough for all the movement that happens on these streets. I left it on last night only to find, the next morning, that it has been alerted by people crossing the street.

I'm finding myself with the same issue. It's a battery drain plus it is not discreet (flashing lights) enough for all the movement that happens on these streets. I left it on last night only to find, the next morning, that it has been alerted by people crossing the street.
Yea I sometimes come back to 100+ notifications....impossible to review all that footage and see if someone backed into the car or scratched it.

Way to power hungry and way to sensitive. There should be a way to only record footage when there is actual contact with the car....this thing can drive itself I'm sure it can figure out when there is contact or close contact and only record those events...

Reactions: telsasan
Yea I sometimes come back to 100+ notifications....impossible to review all that footage and see if someone backed into the car or scratched it.

Way to power hungry and way to sensitive. There should be a way to only record footage when there is actual contact with the car....this thing can drive itself I'm sure it can figure out when there is contact or close contact and only record those events...

The feature was bolted on, the car was never designed for the cameras to be recording all the time when parked. If the car was asleep (like it needs to be to be to lower the overnight drain), it would never wake up in time to record anything... because it was not designed for it.

Dont expect it to get any better from a power usage standpoint, either. It will keep the car awake, which will be between 1 and 2 miles of range per hour usage. Use it or dont, understanding that is the amount of power it will use.