Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode = vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had Sentry Mode for several weeks now and I have used it extensively while parked at work throughout the day. Initially noticed about 1 mile per hour range loss, sometimes more. However, today I lost 14 miles of range over 9 straight hours of being parked at work. This equates to 70 miles range loss for a 5 day workweek. Think this is too much range loss to expect using this particular functionality? Kinda annoyed it seems to be causing so much range loss each day. Welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: Dublin 'Eer
If you’re parking in an area with lots of movement around the car that the cameras will capture then you’ll see an increase in battery consumption for Sentry Mode. Your 14 mile range loss over 9 hours is right around 1.5 miles of range used per hour which is within the normal energy consumption range for Sentry Mode. Normally I see around 1 mile loss per hour Sentry Mode is activated but I’ve also seen it go to 1.5 miles per hour.

Others have suggested parking the car in an area with decreased chances of movement and activity to limit how often Sentry Mode triggers recordings.

Reactions: M109Rider
I have had Sentry Mode for several weeks now and I have used it extensively while parked at work throughout the day. Initially noticed about 1 mile per hour range loss, sometimes more. However, today I lost 14 miles of range over 9 straight hours of being parked at work. This equates to 70 miles range loss for a 5 day workweek. Think this is too much range loss to expect using this particular functionality? Kinda annoyed it seems to be causing so much range loss each day. Welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

You asked for thoughts... my thought is, tesla mentions that this may increase battery usage. How much depends on how much traffic around you. If you feel you need to use it, the amount of power it uses should be immaterial to it. Said another way, complaining about how much power it uses is silly in my opinion.

Also, its not "vampire drain" as you are enabling the feature. If you dont want the usage, dont turn on the feature. You cant control how much the feature uses (and neither can tesla) because they dont know how much traffic you will have around you (how many triggers you might have).

How much does 70 miles cost you at your electricity rates?

If it's too much, don't use it.

If you feel like you must use it, seems like a small price to pay.

It is totally your choice to use, and there is no real requirement to do so. The alarm system is still activated.
But in those areas that have had significant issues with rear quarter windows pops, I think that a few watts is well worth the alternatives.

Also, not sure why you feel the need to add up the losses over a week, I do hope that you are charging at home daily.

How much does 70 miles cost you at your electricity rates?

I'm not the OP; however, the EPA computes a Model 3 LR as costing $0.84 to drive 25 miles (based on $0.13/kWh electricity), so that's $0.0336/mile, so consumption equivalent to 70 miles would be $2.35. Over the course of a year, that becomes $122. How likely is it that the car will be vandalized or broken into over the course of a year, and what would the losses be for such an event? Over the course of my car-owning life (about 30 years), I've had 0 break-ins and one mysterious ding that appeared on a door (likely a parking-lot accident). The latter cost about $300 to repair, IIRC. Granted, I've never driven a car as expensive as a Model 3, but unless the risk goes way up (which may be the case in some parts of California), IMHO, this feature consumes way too much power for regular use. It might be worthwhile when parking in some high-risk locations, though.

Reactions: garth_angst
Sentry mode is great ,however, I leave it at the airport for 4 days at a time and obviously 100-150 miles of drain makes it a non starter since I want to be able to get home from the airport when I return. Wish it wasn’t such a high energy item , but still glad it’s there.

Not surprised at all. You are enabling extra cameras and logging. Personally I only plan to use if parking in a high risk area.

Reactions: HyperionMark
Others have found and I verified that DashCam records one hour after parking even with Sentry Mode off. I have several one hour recordings of my garage. Of course it will not record if you turn recording off when you park. The downside of this is that you have to remember to turn the recording back on.

• Informative
Reactions: HyperionMark
I leave a Model 3 parked in a garage for a few weeks at a time when I am travelling and can't use Sentry Mode. I think Tesla has a issue with their security camera function here.

Put down the Koolaid and think about it for a minute. My Blink home monitor camera can do motion detection, take video clips and upload it to the cloud on 2 AA batteries that last 1-2 years. Tesla uses a few cameras, but really?

I leave a Model 3 parked in a garage for a few weeks at a time when I am travelling and can't use Sentry Mode. I think Tesla has a issue with their security camera function here.

Put down the Koolaid and think about it for a minute. My Blink home monitor camera can do motion detection, take video clips and upload it to the cloud on 2 AA batteries that last 1-2 years. Tesla uses a few cameras, but really?
You should tape some of them to your car.

Your car isn't a motion sensing camera, it's a car running software to emulate a dash cam. I can run a media server in my house off a Raspberry Pi and consume 5W or I can run it on a 250W PC. I can't make the PC run on 5W, no matter how hard I try.

Exactly, I am losing almost 20 miles of range a day when I park my car at the train station. I’ve stopped using Sentry mode until tesla updates it to be a real security system like a ring doorbell can that allows for me to see all cam views live and sends me alerts when a event happens that I can watch on my phone.

Reactions: Dan_LA
Exactly, I am losing almost 20 miles of range a day when I park my car at the train station. I’ve stopped using Sentry mode until tesla updates it to be a real security system like a ring doorbell can that allows for me to see all cam views live and sends me alerts when a event happens that I can watch on my phone.

1-2 miles/hr is what I experienced with Sentry mode running at work. I turned it off and the drain stopped. I don’t use it unless I feel like I need it.

I sure would like to see Tesla focus their SW development on useful things like you mention, rather than games.

Sentry Mode's battery drain is excessive, agreed. But we just have to deal with it, I guess.