Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Videos Garbled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, Youtube actually seems to try to "fix" the issue. On the actual video I see even more garble, with a couple seconds of clear picture. It appears that youtube is using the couple seconds of clean video to fill in the over the distortion that re-occurs!

Check that you have 32gigs or better USB drive.
Mine was doing the same switches it to a 32gig cleanedkt up and works every time now.
My old 8gigs was constantly having issues for the left repeater green and garbled
I have a 64GB USB3 samsung drive but the video partition 16GB, and 40somethingGB for music. I'll try partitioning it to be 32/32GB. Otherwise I can try using my USB to SATA Adapter and a 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD?

I have seen the half screen garbled video issue, have seen it on all 3 cameras, it doesn't happen very often. I don't think it's caused by the size of the USB drive, probably happened during the video encoding process.

My front camera was doing this. Tesla logs showed a lot of issues with communication of the front camera and the flash drive. I upgraded to this and the issue went away so you could just have a bad flash drive.

SanDisk 256GB iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad - SDIX30N-256G-GN6NE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUH9BET/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_YJyKCbWFPH7BM

Attachments

• 6AB73827-5A20-43D8-B740-7EA742EC5792.jpeg
    6AB73827-5A20-43D8-B740-7EA742EC5792.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 151
My front camera was doing this. Tesla logs showed a lot of issues with communication of the front camera and the flash drive. I upgraded to this and the issue went away so you could just have a bad flash drive.

SanDisk 256GB iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad - SDIX30N-256G-GN6NE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUH9BET/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_YJyKCbWFPH7BM

Thanks for the info, BTW what firmware are you on 2019.5.15?

(And can you play the video back on you iPhone using this flash drive?)

Same problem here. During driving, all 3 cameras work fine. Sentry mode -- Left repeater shows exactly what @Glamisduner showed in his video, the lines on the lower half. Right repeater usually records nothing. Front is fine.

Start driving, all 3 work fine.

Back to sentry mode - back to the repeaters glitching out.

Model S. 32gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit; tried a Sandisk Ultra 256gb, no change. Not sure what to do. Seems to happen across many cars, I guess that's *something*. T

Have you guys showed more garbling when parked/sentry mode vs when moving?

Same problem here. During driving, all 3 cameras work fine. Sentry mode -- Left repeater shows exactly what @Glamisduner showed in his video, the lines on the lower half. Right repeater usually records nothing. Front is fine.

Start driving, all 3 work fine.

Back to sentry mode - back to the repeaters glitching out.

Model S. 32gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit; tried a Sandisk Ultra 256gb, no change. Not sure what to do. Seems to happen across many cars, I guess that's *something*. T

Have you guys showed more garbling when parked/sentry mode vs when moving?
I just got a new software update 2019.8.3 so I will have to test it out again.

Just for example, this is the kind of image I'm seeing most of the time - very similar to what you posted.

upload_2019-3-27_18-19-5.png

I think I should probably open a service ticket on this one, but what's strange is, if it's just software, how come there are no problems with some cars and problems like this with others. Spans models and types too... And the fact that once i'm in Drive, all 3 cameras record fine, tell me it can't be like a connection issue.

A power issue maybe? When the car is parked and in sentry mode, lower power goes to the cameras? Just not sure at this point.

I was updated to 2019.8.3 yesterday. Last night I upgraded from a USB Flash stick (2 partitions, one Music, other for TeslaCam) to a SanDisk 1TB USB SSD partitioned same, this was done to fix a Music stutter, which it did fix. Went on some errands today and thought I'd test Sentry mode. All recordings were working fine with no garbled images (they Were garbled with the UDB Flash drive as others have stated and shown) when Sentry mode was off. With Sentry mode ON The Front camera and Left repeater were fine but none of the Right repeater files are readable, won't even open. As soon as I got back in the car, Sentry Mode turned OFF and then the right repeater starts working again.
So, from my experience the gabled images are from slower Flash drives, since the garbled images cleared up with the SSD drive. However the Sentry Mode has a problem...

***UPDATE: All of the Right Repeater files are 0KB, nothing recorded while in Sentry Mode.***

Last edited: