Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode View Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new Tesla owner here and I have a question on Sentry Mode.
I turn on sentry mode every night, since I have to park my model 3 out in an open garage lot. This morning I received a green notice sign on my dashboard saying "Sentry Mode Report available". I didn't connect a USB or a hard-drive to my car yet, but does anyone know how to view this report? Or where should I go to view this? Thank you!

I think the notification that you saw is the "report". You probably saw something in the words of "Sentry Mode Event Report - X events occurred", just shows that many times Sentry Mode recording feature was triggered (most likely someone walking by the car, or a car moving in the camera's field of view.)

You insert a USB or other flashdrive device (such as a memory card reader with microSD card) into one of the USB connectors located under your phone charging pad. Like this (below). Suggest you read the Model 3 Manual about "Dashcam" and "Sentry Mode" to learn how to operate it so you don't get surprised if it doesn't work as you expect. You can access the Manual in your online Tesla account after you sign in by going to Manage and then under Learn look for the Owner's Manual that you can download. You can also access it through your car's screen but I find it more convenient to download it and read it at my leisure wherever and whenever. If you can I’d suggest a drive above 64GB especially if we will be getting rear camera footage with the V10 software update.

40BC3BFC-BA4D-414A-B220-8C0C1F8C1628.jpeg 9BA20CFF-BC0F-4BB7-A1A9-D4A7DCFC9267.jpeg

Here’s mine using a card reader and microSD card (Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card inserted—Pro Endurance rated for dashcam use).

6FA5520D-89A3-4CAE-A1FF-780C27CB466C.jpeg

Last edited:
Some questions for you? What phone are you using (does it have USB-C connector or lightning connector to charge)? Assume you have a computer, if so what computer OS are you using? The flashdrive has to be formatted correctly and we’ll need to know that to help you (Windows will need you to format with a third party app)?

You insert a USB or other flashdrive device (such as a memory card reader with microSD card) into one of the USB connectors located under your phone charging pad. Like this (below). Suggest you read the Model 3 Manual about "Dashcam" and "Sentry Mode" to learn how to operate it so you don't get surprised if it doesn't work as you expect. You can access the Manual in your online Tesla account after you sign in by going to Manage and then under Learn look for the Owner's Manual that you can download. You can also access it through your car's screen but I find it more convenient to download it and read it at my leisure wherever and whenever. If you can I’d suggest a drive above 64GB especially if we will be getting rear camera footage with the V10 software update.

View attachment 450439 View attachment 450444

Here’s mine using a card reader and microSD card (Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card inserted—Pro Endurance rated for dashcam use).

View attachment 450446

Awesome! I'll give it a try and report back. This could be fun!

Thanks for this information.

I received a notification of a sentry mode incident. When I look at the files on my memory card there are a huge number. Is there a way to filter so that I can get to the incident. Most files just show almost nothing (the odd pedestrian or vehicle). Thanks in advance.

Thanks for this information.

I received a notification of a sentry mode incident. When I look at the files on my memory card there are a huge number. Is there a way to filter so that I can get to the incident. Most files just show almost nothing (the odd pedestrian or vehicle). Thanks in advance.
Yeah. That's one of the main limitations of Sentry Mode thus far: weeding through all the video files. Software like that mentioned earlier in this thread helps. Most such apps/programs let you look at all the cameras' videos simultaneously, and often with some sort of high-speed playback so you can get through it faster. But, dang, it would be nice if when it told you you had 3 events if you could get a list of the times of those events.

The other approach is to look at your car. If it looks happy, then just ignore the Sentry Mode alert. Chances are it was just a pedestrian walking by your car while it was parked. But if you see damage, then invest the time to do the research.

Yeah. That's one of the main limitations of Sentry Mode thus far: weeding through all the video files. Software like that mentioned earlier in this thread helps. Most such apps/programs let you look at all the cameras' videos simultaneously, and often with some sort of high-speed playback so you can get through it faster. But, dang, it would be nice if when it told you you had 3 events if you could get a list of the times of those events.

The other approach is to look at your car. If it looks happy, then just ignore the Sentry Mode alert. Chances are it was just a pedestrian walking by your car while it was parked. But if you see damage, then invest the time to do the research.
Thanks - that is useful. I will look at some of the apps/programs, and I agree - apply some common sense.

There is a commercial enterprise https://www.briefcam.com which would be wonderful if adopted by Tesla.