Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Viewer Buggy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Elon's smart, but then he makes a lot of "off the cuff" remarks and promises. He may have said they'd get rid of the headlight flash for sentry, then learned it was somehow required by many state laws. We're never going to get the "oops, I was wrong" tweet.

He has mentioned that the software has a lot of room for improvement. It's really too bad that things seem to be getting *worse*, because the cars are otherwise great to drive.

Which other car companies sell cars with a better sentry viewer- or sentry mode at all specifically?

Sentry was an after-thought feature never intended to exist but added, years after the hardware was finalized on the vehicles, because too many Tesla owners in the bay area were having their cars broken into, so it was then added -for free and retroactively- to all existing fleet with the HW capable of it.

Which is still worlds better than everyone elses car where whatever comes from the factory is all you ever get.

Bugs are certainly annoying- but demanding they throw more development time and money improving what was already a surprise, free, addition is... a bit Kareny. If you don't like the free dashcam solution Tesla offers with the car there's plenty of aftermarket options out there.

Which other car companies sell cars with a better sentry viewer- or sentry mode at all specifically?

Sentry was an after-thought feature never intended to exist

I don't think any of this matters. Tesla released a feature, they've introduced bugs on multiple occasions... now it's janky. They should fix it.

Edit: it wasn't a "surprise, free addition" for me. It came with a car that was very expensive. Also, using someone's name as a derogatory remark isn't nice. There are many women named Karen that have done nothing to deserve their name being dragged through the mud.

I don't think any of this matters. Tesla released a feature, they've introduced bugs on multiple occasions... now it's janky. They should fix it.

Absolutely they should. Eventually they will. It took em a couple of years to add shuffle to the media player.... even longer to add waypoints to the nav. This kind of stuff is pretty low priority for them.

Edit: it wasn't a "surprise, free addition" for me. It came with a car that was very expensive. Also, using someone's name as a derogatory remark isn't nice. There are many women named Karen that have done nothing to deserve their name being dragged through the mud.

Yeah- you should totally complain to my manager. That'll show me.

Sentry was an after-thought feature never intended to exist but added, years after the hardware was finalized on the vehicles, because too many Tesla owners in the bay area were having their cars broken into, so it was then added -for free and retroactively- to all existing fleet with the HW capable of it.

Which is still worlds better than everyone elses car where whatever comes from the factory is all you ever get.

Bugs are certainly annoying- but demanding they throw more development time and money improving what was already a surprise, free, addition is... a bit Kareny. If you don't like the free dashcam solution Tesla offers with the car there's plenty of aftermarket options out there.

Well I’ve read a great many of your posts and I don’t think there are very many people anywhere who know these Tesla cars better than you do. Even this post above offers an actual history showing why Tesla would come to believe that sentry viewer is a piece of crap that deserves little or no priority. But you didn’t convince me in the least that sentry viewer is actually that unimportant. Hey, the only thing that really matters is that Spotify works properly.

Yeah- you should totally complain to my manager. That'll show me.

My company has been lodged.

Screenshot_2015-07-27_15.11.13.0.0.png

Well I’ve read a great many of your posts and I don’t think there are very many people anywhere who know these Tesla cars better than you do. Even this post above offers an actual history showing why Tesla would come to believe that sentry viewer is a piece of crap that deserves little or no priority. But you didn’t convince me in the least that sentry viewer is actually that unimportant. Hey, the only thing that really matters is that Spotify works properly.

Well, I mean I've never had it not play sentry videos at all... sometimes it's slow and jerky, or starts too far before the relevant event- but it has been functional.

If I see anything I want a better look at, I can easily remove the storage device and put it into a computer.

There's also some other options one has if they're at all technically inclined, like setting up a Wifi Rasp Pi and using that as the storage device, which will also:

Let you view all the footage on your phone or tablet
and
Auto-download the footage to a computer at home when you get on your home wifi.
and
You can even set it up to keep more than an hour of recordings if you wish
and more!

Some reading on this: