Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Viewer Buggy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Looked at my Sentry Mode video and must have had over 30 videos, many were 2 minute clips, some were a minute, some were 5 minutes, some were 7 minutes and some were even 14 minutes. Then playing them back, most start out over a minute into the video and the red dot doesn't always sync up to what triggered the event. They also usually don't get to the end before looping back. Even trying to move the slider causes them to loop. Also seems like I can delete around 5 videos or so individually but the the viewer either freezes up or says the video no longer exists, when I hadn't deleted it yet.

The viewer is just a mess and can't believe Tesla hasn't fixed it yet. What the heck Tesla!

Reactions: pipp
Mine is flaky as well. I am only using a USB thumb drive and often wondered if positioning the play indicator closer to the red dot (It always starts it way back). Would be quicker and more consistent if I was using a quality SSD Drive. It seems like I drag the play dot near the red trigger indicator and let go and it still jumps back a little bit. It could definitely use some work.

The problem is that the viewer has always been buggy and Tesla has done nothing to fix it. I'm using the Jeda SSD, so it is a quality drive and fast but it's Tesla's viewer that is the problem. It's bad enough the video quality is terrible for such a "Hi-Tech" car. I know the camera's weren't designed for what they are being use for, especially on the older cars. But come on, 1080P camera's are inexpensive in the 21st Century! And since Tesla claims to have smart people that think outside of the box, they would have figured this out. Instead, they spend their time adding more games and a UI that was a step backwards to our cars. Fix the things that are broken, then add new features!

Reactions: rpreuss
Looked at my Sentry Mode video and must have had over 30 videos, many were 2 minute clips, some were a minute, some were 5 minutes, some were 7 minutes and some were even 14 minutes. Then playing them back, most start out over a minute into the video and the red dot doesn't always sync up to what triggered the event. They also usually don't get to the end before looping back. Even trying to move the slider causes them to loop. Also seems like I can delete around 5 videos or so individually but the the viewer either freezes up or says the video no longer exists, when I hadn't deleted it yet.

The viewer is just a mess and can't believe Tesla hasn't fixed it yet. What the heck Tesla!

I've also tried various different high-quality drives. Seems like the Tesla thumb drive has worked the "best" so far anecdotally. But I put "best" in quotes because I still come across the same issues as you do. It's pretty buggy indeed, and has been so since day 1.

I've also tried various different high-quality drives. Seems like the Tesla thumb drive has worked the "best" so far anecdotally. But I put "best" in quotes because I still come across the same issues as you do. It's pretty buggy indeed, and has been so since day 1.
I don't believe the drive is the issue, it's their software. For a Elon to claim Tesla is a software company, they seem to be releasing buggy software and then forget about fixing it. What ever happened to the concept of attention to detail and doing things right the first time?

Similar issue. The viewer is blank for a long time and then maybe opens a recent video, but essentially unusable. I plugged my drive into my MacBook and it reads fine, with lots of content seemingly recorded correctly, though I didn't check in detail. Seems the in car viewer is not production software yet.

Reactions: KentuckyX
The Viewer is getting more and more problematic for me. Seems to take forever to view any Sentry Mode video because there are a lot of one minute to well past 10 minute videos, many just freeze during the playback. I keep sending Tesla bug reports about it in the car but you don't enough time to explain the issue properly. I really wish Tesla would fix both of these issues! I'd think this would be way more important to fix than adding more games to my car.

No you don't.

Bug reports are stored locally, and only looked at by a service center if you open a service ticket. They aren't "sent" anywhere.
Service tickets don't do anything either. Plus, I'm not going to drive 2 hours to my closest SC after setting up the appointment 3 weeks in advance because they're too busy and don't have a phone number to call them anymore. Service via the app just sucks, I'd rather talk to a person about the issue, then I could decide if it's worth the drive.

Service tickets don't do anything either. Plus, I'm not going to drive 2 hours to my closest SC after setting up the appointment 3 weeks in advance because they're too busy and don't have a phone number to call them anymore. Service via the app just sucks, I'd rather talk to a person about the issue, then I could decide if it's worth the drive.

Ok.

Was just trying to save you from continuing to waste your time since you were under the misapprehension bug reports were "sending" anything to Tesla when you kept making them.

The "bug report" command just saves a timestamp to the car's log. It's helpful if something unexpected happens that wouldn't otherwise generate an error log entry. It gives the service center / engineers a point in time that the unexpected event happened.

Regarding the software, it's all gotten *much* more buggy since v11... but there are already a million posts about it. It's not limited to sentry either.

• Trunk issues
  • Charger port issues
  • Games don't have sound or don't recognize the controller and need to be restarted (which actually requires starting a different game and then going back to the original)
  • WiFi connectivity issues
  • OTA updates freeze while downloading
  • Music crackles or temporarily halts when changing gears
  • The car on the display sometimes doesn't go into "park mode" when parked (so the links to open the trunk/frunk don't appear)
  • Music screens operate differently depending on whether their fully opened or half opened (confusing)
  • Skipping forward or backward with the left wheel cycles through "recent" music even though the screen shows "favorites" (unexpected behavior)
  • Streaming stations remain in your "recents" even after you cancel premium connectivity which breaks cycling with the left wheel because it gets stuck on them (displaying "premium connectivity required").
This is just off the top of my head, but there are other issues as well. Laggy games and backup cam (yes, still... even after recent updates). Sometimes my heated seats are on for no reason, even with the A/C on and it's 90 degrees outside.

Everything was better with v10. My hunch is that they did a full rewrite (and my experiences seem to confirm this), and if so, we'll likely spend the next year or more just waiting for bug fixes without any new features.

Reactions: Scelto
The "bug report" command just saves a timestamp to the car's log. It's helpful if something unexpected happens that wouldn't otherwise generate an error log entry. It gives the service center / engineers a point in time that the unexpected event happened.
How do you know this is true? If so it seems so pointless to me because I could just tell the service center the information. But I've read nothing other than this thread, saying that the Bug Report feature does this.

How do you know this is true?

Because folks like @verygreen who have root access to the software have repeatedly confirmed it.

It's been discussed in a bunch of threads going back years now.

If so it seems so pointless to me because I could just tell the service center the information.

No you couldn't.

It specifically marks and saves a bunch of detailed stuff in the software logs when you file the report. That's a lot more useful to the service center than 'It did something weird last week on Tuesday at like 11:15." because the car doesn't normally keep all logs forever or in great detail.

Especially true when in some areas you can't get into see the service folks for days or in some cases weeks when the data might otherwise be gone.

Not to mention the service center can remotely access those logs, which could potentially tell them if it can be a mobile service appointment, or needs to be an in-person one, or in rare cases something they can fix entirely remotely with a SW push.

Everything was better with v10. My hunch is that they did a full rewrite (and my experiences seem to confirm this), and if so, we'll likely spend the next year or more just waiting for bug fixes without any new features.

If they can fix bugs without generating yet more bugs, then my modest hopes will be fulfilled. But next fall Musk will probably come around again and insist on an attention-grabbing Christmas software release that will again be over-rushed and ill-thought-out and full of a bunch more bugs.

But back to the sentry viewer issues, I really don’t understand why they have been placed on the back burner on the stove 3 rows back so that these problems, which mainly appear to be years old, as old as the viewer software itself, somehow never actually get fixed. To me sentry view deseaves more priority than that..

Last edited:
Reactions: Resist
I know right?! Elon makes a lot of promises and seems to forget many of his promises, like an option to turn off the Sentry Mode headlight flashing. It boggles my mind how Tesla a supposed self proclaimed software based company can't fix the Sentry Mode viewer. And who authorized the release of it in its current form? Hmmm Elon perhaps? He's had to of used it. It's just embarrassing!