Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode viewer takes forever to load

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is just me or the does the sentry mode viewer takes a long time to load (10 sec+). How many times has this happen, where you get in your car and notice a few sentry mode incidents and load the viewer only to drive off because you can't wait that long? I have a large SSD card (500gb) is that the problem?

Chiming in to say I have the same problem. Sentry logs anywhere from 50-200 videos per night for me with no content on them (seems to be a common problem for people with no resolution). Opening the viewer causes chaos… takes 10+ seconds to load, then none of the videos will actually play, and the entire system is basically frozen until I reboot. Running a Samsung T5 SSD. I assumed this had to do with the sheer number of useless videos Sentry was logging, but maybe not?

At least you have the update on the car that allows it.... I've been waiting for 13 months (when i bought my car) for it to appear on my app! ;)

Seriously, I can't wait to get updated to enjoy this... I won't mind the lag since I'm sure it will improve over time.

Didn't want to resurrect an old post, but I have the same problem. The sentry app only loads when I have less than 60 gigs of data on it. Every 2 months or so I have to reformat the drive to clear the data off it for it to work properly. I also have a samsung T5 ssd

My car is using version 2022.4.5.3 . I just got my 2022 MYP back from tesla service center and one item for them to look at was sentry mode saying there were events but nothing appearing in the user interface usually. When items did appear, clicking on item resulted in a message suggesting media could not be found. Funny thing was tesla service center said everything worked fine for them. Notes say they verified my tesla 128GB usb stick worked as expected but they also reformatted it which I had done myself many times. 🤷‍♂️

Mine used to load quickly, but now takes forever, and the video doesn't start on its own --- you have to wait a couple of minutes for the bottom part of the screen with the start arrow to show so that you can watch it. This seems to be a recent "update" and they surely did a lousy job of it!!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Mine used to load quickly, but now takes forever, and the video doesn't start on its own --- you have to wait a couple of minutes for the bottom part of the screen with the start arrow to show so that you can watch it. This seems to be a recent "update" and they surely did a lousy job of it!!
2017 Model X owner here. When I try to launch the viewer, I get nothing but a black screen for a couple of minutes and then a frozen pixelated snapshot of a recent clip. I'm never actually able to launch the viewer and view whatever stored clips are on the SSD. If I bring the SSD into my house and plug it into my computer, I can see everything just fine. For checking sentry clips (before leaving a parking space) that have happened while I've been away from the car, the viewer is useless in its present state.

2017 Model X owner here. When I try to launch the viewer, I get nothing but a black screen for a couple of minutes and then a frozen pixelated snapshot of a recent clip. I'm never actually able to launch the viewer and view whatever stored clips are on the SSD. If I bring the SSD into my house and plug it into my computer, I can see everything just fine. For checking sentry clips (before leaving a parking space) that have happened while I've been away from the car, the viewer is useless in its present state.
similar experience on my 2022 Model Y Performancelate December 2021 build. Loading up the viewer allows me to see stored dash cams but not sentry events. If a sentry event appears, clicking on it results in a grey screen or messages saying media is on a different source (something like that). Issues started with the late December updates. Prior to the late December update, it was working great. Only had my car for a week or so before the dreaded update happened.
I have manually formatted usb using windows, Mac, Tesla car. I have tried using different USB stick sized 128gb (extended fat32) and 32gb (Fat32). Tesla computer said 32gb stick was too small and sentry mode wouldn’t activate.

similar experience on my 2022 Model Y Performancelate December 2021 build. Loading up the viewer allows me to see stored dash cams but not sentry events. If a sentry event appears, clicking on it results in a grey screen or messages saying media is on a different source (something like that). Issues started with the late December updates. Prior to the late December update, it was working great. Only had my car for a week or so before the dreaded update happened.
I have manually formatted usb using windows, Mac, Tesla car. I have tried using different USB stick sized 128gb (extended fat32) and 32gb (Fat32). Tesla computer said 32gb stick was too small and sentry mode wouldn’t activate.
Fixxed issue of sentry mode not recording events despite reporting events detected.

I have the same problem. It's due to the number of videos on the drive. Assuming there's nothing important, format the drive through the car's menu and you'll notice it will be fast again. I have to do this every month or so or it gets painfully slow. For this reason, it's pointless to get a very large hard drive for sentry

Reactions: grayguy
I'm about 7 minutes into a black screen with a spinning circle. Enough time to Google, login to TMC, and still nothing. I have a Samsung T7 1Tb SSD, and it seems like that purchase was a bad idea.
Do you have a ton of files on there? I have the same drive and as long as I keep up with deleting videos that don't show anything, it's fine. Once the videos start piling up it takes longer and longer for it to open.