Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode WAY too sensitive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car keeps activating sentry mode repeatedly when anyone simply walks within 2-3 feet of the car. I keep activating it in my garage just by walking past it to go to the door. As a result, it fills up my USB with dozens and dozens of useless clips.

Couple that with the fact that Tesla hasn’t developed a means for users to scrub through the various clips efficiently (or even know which ones were caused by sentry mode activation), and it makes this security feature way too much of a hassle in its current state.

On the rare occasion that someone actually does something to my car, it’ll be worth it. But how many hundreds of hours of my time will I waste reviewing pointless footage before that happens?

Just to ask why you have it active in your garage? Hopefully your neighborhood isn't that bad :D Have it turn off for the home.

I’m in a very safe area, but I don’t really see a reason not to have it on. Even if I turned sentry off for my home, it’s still constantly activating errantly at work and elsewhere, so it makes no difference to me, and there’s always the rare chance someone breaks into your home no matter where you live, so w/e.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’m in a very safe area, but I don’t really see a reason not to have it on. Even if I turned sentry off for my home, it’s still constantly activating errantly at work and elsewhere, so it makes no difference to me, and there’s always the rare chance someone breaks into your home no matter where you live, so w/e.
Oh but there is a reason to indicate in the on-car options to turn it off for home. You will waste less battery by it constantly staying in that mode. :)

F9FA9B1A-0F30-46B5-8C6D-6D083EFE2B71.jpeg
Just buy a ring doorbell or arlo and leave it off at home. It is sensitive but a woman backed into my Tesla model 3 damaging the quarter panel and drive off. Sadly, it didn’t catch the few surrounding seconds of what she was doing prior to hitting it . Anyhow it got the plate ! I wish it was smarter, and footage immediately viewable from phone as I was shopping and got an alert and ran out

View attachment 414732 Just buy a ring doorbell or arlo and leave it off at home. It is sensitive but a woman backed into my Tesla model 3 damaging the quarter panel and drive off. Sadly, it didn’t catch the few surrounding seconds of what she was doing prior to hitting it . Anyhow it got the plate ! I wish it was smarter, and footage immediately viewable from phone as I was shopping and got an alert and ran out

Did you get her to pay for it?

Reactions: Sg911
Did you get her to pay for it?
Well ...she drove off 1) Police filed a report 2) took the TeslaCam footage with license plate , right off my USB at the scene with my help lol 2) Eyewitness saw what happened but was off on 1 digit of plate . Thank you Sentry mode! 3) Police have gone by the registered owners address but she hasn’t t shown up 4) They issued a hit n run warrant, tag and insurance suspension next due to being a hit n run with recordings

Well ...she drove off 1) Police filed a report 2) took the TeslaCam footage with license plate , right off my USB at the scene with my help lol 2) Eyewitness saw what happened but was off on 1 digit of plate . Thank you Sentry mode! 3) Police have gone by the registered owners address but she hasn’t t shown up 4) They issued a hit n run warrant, tag and insurance suspension next due to being a hit n run with recordings

Nice. Let us know how it ends up!

My employer charges my car for free every day. I’m not concerned.

Can we move on from questioning why I have it enabled in the garage please? That’s not the point of the thread.
Great, and I agree we can move on :) The reason I and others wanted to know why you were having it on in the garage was to better understand your situation and goal, and just maybe I learn something I was not aware ;) It always helps when people say why they are asking a question.

• Informative
Reactions: BulletToothWoo
My employer charges my car for free every day. I’m not concerned.

Can we move on from questioning why I have it enabled in the garage please? That’s not the point of the thread.

Well, you did complain it was going off in your own home.

Some of us bought our cars to be more green and not just waste energy on silly stuff.

Also just because the electricity is free doesn't me the added charge cycles are free to you.
Keep in mind that when Sentry is on, a lot of the car is on with it !! Which is why it uses so much juice.

I only use Sentry Mode when it's really needed. That's how it's currently designed.
Why not exclude home?
There are much better security solutions for home, that are more effective, cheap and less waste.

What do you expect it to do different? Then you'll complain it missed something critical.

You only examine the clips if there was a problem. Bigger drive?

• Love
I agree that Sentry Mode is very sensitive, but probably better to err on the sensitivity side.

@vikefan, to obliquely answer your question, you don't really need to review all of the recordings when you have Sentry Mode alerts. Just walk around the car and, if no damage, delete the recordings without further review.

This works fairly well to review footage, with a 10x speed mode.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I agree that Sentry Mode is very sensitive, but probably better to err on the sensitivity side.

@vikefan, to obliquely answer your question, you don't really need to review all of the recordings when you have Sentry Mode alerts. Just walk around the car and, if no damage, delete the recordings without further review.

This works fairly well to review footage, with a 10x speed mode.

I think you have way more confidence in my ability to spot damage than I have in myself lol. I might not immediately notice subtle things like a key scratch along an obscure part of the car or a light door ding.

Well, you did complain it was going off in your own home.

I complained it was going off too much, period, regardless of location, so again, focusing on just turning off in my home is neither the point of the thread nor addresses the problem.

Some of us bought our cars to be more green and not just waste energy on silly stuff.
Thanks for the condescension. It helps sell the idea that you’re just trying to be helpful here. However, given that Tesla engineers created the feature in the first place, the presumption therefore is that at least THEY don’t consider it a “silly feature”. If it exists, I want to use it, but I also want to highlight where said features can/should be improved. Hence, the point of this thread.

Also just because the electricity is free doesn't me the added charge cycles are free to you.
Thank you for your sincere concern of my financial status, but if you don’t mind, let me worry about what I can or can’t afford. Thanks.

I only use Sentry Mode when it's really needed. That's how it's currently designed.
Why not exclude home?
There are much better security solutions for home, that are more effective, cheap and less waste.
Once again, the actual Tesla engineers (I.e. clearly not you) actually designed the feature to also be used in the home. That’s why the setting is there, and furthermore, that’s why they have the home setting on BY DEFAULT. So yes, in fact, the system is currently designed to be used there in addition to anywhere else. That’s fine if you don’t want to use it at your home. That’s why the option to turn off exists. But I’m not you. I want it on. End of story. I just want it to actually be RELIABLE when on.

Again, though, this isn’t the point of the thread. Let’s just say for argument’s sake that I capitulate to your incessant complaining about home use. Ok! It’s done. No more recording in the home...now what? The mode is STILL too sensitive and records all the time errantly everywhere else. Now can we move on with the point of the thread??

What do you expect it to do different? Then you'll complain it missed something critical.
I expect it to only activate when, you know, something actually happens that warrants activation. Me walking within 2 feet of the car without even so much as lightly sneezing on it should not qualify. That’s my complaint, and it doesn’t seem like an outlandish expectation.

I expect it to only activate when, you know, something actually happens that warrants activation. Me walking within 2 feet of the car without even so much as lightly sneezing on it should not qualify. That’s my complaint, and it doesn’t seem like an outlandish expectation.

And then what happens if that person that walked 2 or 3 feet from the car threw an egg at your paint, or threw something at the car, - not enough to set off the alarm. You'd complain that Sentry mode didn't work!

Tesla can't win..

That said, there should be a file viewer in the car for Sentry/Dashcam. The idea of being able to provide instant evidence to cops etc is fantastic.

And then what happens if that person that walked 2 or 3 feet from the car threw an egg at your paint, or threw something at the car, - not enough to set off the alarm. You'd complain that Sentry mode didn't work!

Tesla can't win..

That said, there should be a file viewer in the car for Sentry/Dashcam. The idea of being able to provide instant evidence to cops etc is fantastic.
Stats app just released that feature

When a real incident occurs I want every frame it can get before and after. It might catch a plate or a face or something.

The feature is not silly. Your request to break it is.

They added the option to exclude home for those that want it on all the time but allow shutting it off at home for a reason.