Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode WAY too sensitive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When a real incident occurs I want every frame it can get before and after. It might catch a plate or a face or something.

The feature is not silly. Your request to break it is.

Uh, you're mixing up two separate concepts. I'm talking about only recording when an actual real event occurs. Right now it records even when there isn't. You're talking about HOW it records once it detects an event, which I'm not suggesting to change. I'm only talking about changing WHAT it records. I'm not saying "Don't save footage until the moment an event occurs." I'm saying, "Don't record a non-event."

They added the option to exclude home for those that want it on all the time but allow shutting it off at home for a reason.

Right, and presumably that reason is not, "We made the system far too sensitive so that it will record many non-events."

For added measure, here's a quote from Tesla's website on Sentry Mode:
"If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alert” state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording..."

So, it would appear from Tesla's own language that simply walking near the vehicle should not activate it. Even Tesla's own example of what constitutes a minimal threat involves some amount of physical contact with the car. Walking near a vehicle is not a "minimal threat". It's not a threat at all. Cameras should not record non-events. That seems like a pretty uncontroversial thing to say, but apparently it is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
And then what happens if that person that walked 2 or 3 feet from the car threw an egg at your paint, or threw something at the car, - not enough to set off the alarm. You'd complain that Sentry mode didn't work!

Tesla can't win..

Uh, how would your scenario not be recorded due to anything I've suggested here? In case you didn't know already, the system is already constantly recording footage. It's just also erasing footage continuously until an event occurs, which is why you're -- in today's version of the system -- able to view footage both during and before an event. The system automatically saves the last 10 minutes of footage prior to event activation.

In your scenario, the person walking by the car shouldn't activate it, but throwing the egg should, and unless they walked past the car, found a location near the car but also out of view of any of the car's cameras, then waited 10+ minutes, and then randomly decided to throw an egg at it, the footage of them walking past the car will be captured once the egg activates the system.

Of course we could play ridiculous hypothetical scenarios all day to come up with ways that a less sensitive system could be fooled, but maybe we should think about what actually happens in the real world and design our systems around those scenarios instead.

And then what happens if that person that walked 2 or 3 feet from the car threw an egg at your paint, or threw something at the car, - not enough to set off the alarm. You'd complain that Sentry mode didn't work!

Tesla can't win..

That said, there should be a file viewer in the car for Sentry/Dashcam. The idea of being able to provide instant evidence to cops etc is fantastic.
I pulled my USB at the scene of the incident and retrieve with the police officer laptop! I haven’t tried “ Sentryview,” since my car is at shop!

Well, you did complain it was going off in your own home.

Some of us bought our cars to be more green and not just waste energy on silly stuff.

Also just because the electricity is free doesn't me the added charge cycles are free to you.
Keep in mind that when Sentry is on, a lot of the car is on with it !! Which is why it uses so much juice.

I only use Sentry Mode when it's really needed. That's how it's currently designed.
Why not exclude home?
There are much better security solutions for home, that are more effective, cheap and less waste.

What do you expect it to do different? Then you'll complain it missed something critical.

You only examine the clips if there was a problem. Bigger drive?

Worst post i've read on here... Looking down on others that you deem using sentry mode to much Yikes!!!!! Might be time to step back your in way to deep...

To the poster I leave my Sentry mode on at home and I won't thumb my nose down at you. Do what you like. I also agree its to sensitive and My files keep getting corrupted so I'm not able to view many of the videos.
Im

So I just spent about an hour tonight going through each one of the over *150* individual clips that were recorded by my sentry mode over just the last 5 days.

After painstakingly clicking on every single center, right, and left video for every single event recorded, I found exactly *zero* instances of anything even remotely resembling a valid reason for recording.

75% of the clips showed nothing more than a car driving by or a person walking past my car, or even just the *reflection* of a car driving by in the shop window in front of my parking spot...

The other 25% showed literally nothing happening at all. I don’t even know what could have triggered the system in the first place.

As this system is currently functioning, this is virtually useless. It is the boy who cries wolf 1000 times over. There is no way in hell im going to keep pulling my USB out of the car, taking it inside, plugging it into my computer, and tediously spending minutes or hours tediously scrubbing through dozens of clips when they are always bullsh*t.

This extreme sensitivity needs to be addressed.

So I just spent about an hour tonight going through each one of the over *150* individual clips that were recorded by my sentry mode over just the last 5 days.

After painstakingly clicking on every single center, right, and left video for every single event recorded, I found exactly *zero* instances of anything even remotely resembling a valid reason for recording.

75% of the clips showed nothing more than a car driving by or a person walking past my car, or even just the *reflection* of a car driving by in the shop window in front of my parking spot...

The other 25% showed literally nothing happening at all. I don’t even know what could have triggered the system in the first place.

As this system is currently functioning, this is virtually useless. It is the boy who cries wolf 1000 times over. There is no way in hell im going to keep pulling my USB out of the car, taking it inside, plugging it into my computer, and tediously spending minutes or hours tediously scrubbing through dozens of clips when they are always bullsh*t.

This extreme sensitivity needs to be addressed.

When Sentry Mode is triggered, the system will save the last 10 minutes from the trigger timestamp.

They key would be to look at 10 minute segments, and watch the last minute (and review anything prior if there was significant activity).

This website (created by a TMC forum member I think) is great: TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

I've re-encoded all of my sentry clips to combine all 3 videos and reviewed all of them. I would say 99% of the time I was able to find the triggering event. They've always been at exactly 1 minute from the end of the clip (ie, if video was 9m47s then event was at 8m47s, or if video is 10m15s then event was at 9m15s, etc) or in the last few seconds of the clip (where I walk up and open the door).

Car keeps activating sentry mode repeatedly when anyone simply walks within 2-3 feet of the car. I keep activating it in my garage just by walking past it to go to the door. As a result, it fills up my USB with dozens and dozens of useless clips.
I agree 100%. I have a 256GB drive, but that doesn't matter. It's atill annoying to see "78 events occured" when you get in your car. I have a 256GB drive ao I'm not worried about space but it's annoying to have to sit there and delete all those vids.