Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode while parked at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am new to Sentry mode, but here is what I have observed:

1) Last night I set it to NOT at home, and on the app, within controls, Sentry was unchecked.
2) Currently away from home and on the app, under controls it says "Sentry Mode Active," and within controls, Sentry is checked blue (enabled).

I checked setting for Sentry mode NOT to be enabled at home, but the icon in upper right of monitor still shows it's on...how can you tell if it's actually enabled? By harassing the vehicle?
Easiest way to tell is probably from the app. It should say if sentry mode is active or not. Are you sure that's not the icon for turning on sentry mode that you're seeing? They added a quick toggle icon so that you don't have to dig through settings anymore.

I'm still kinda bummed how much battery sentry mode eats.

I'd rather have the peace of mind that my car is being monitored and recorded if anything were to happen to it. It's worth the 1 mile drain per hour for this.

I'm curious to see in-comparison on how a standard dashcam setup would be on the battery drain. Most likely will be tied to the 12v battery right?

I'm curious to see in-comparison on how a standard dashcam setup would be on the battery drain. Most likely will be tied to the 12v battery right?

This brings-up a question. Does Sentry Mode run directly off of the DC-DC converter via the traction battery, or does it run off of the 12V battery and then the car cycles the traction battery to charge the 12V as needed?

Is your home address set in navigation? Does the map accurately show your position when parked? My GPS gets screwy once I pull into my garage from time to time and it thinks I'm a block or two down the road.

After I turned the option on, I just had to enter drive and then re-park and it started working as I expected.

Why in the world did they name it Sentry Mode?

Do would-be thieves even know what the word Sentry means? Maybe they can pull out their websters dictionary and look it up before breaking into your car.

Maybe the thieves in Elon's neighborhood are much more educated or something.

I haven't found a single person who knows what that big red button means and what sentry means.

Oh well....its better than nothing I suppose.

And it was free.

My Teslas know where “home” is, but I too found Sentry still was on and giving warnings while in my garage even though I checked the box to exclude home from Sentry.
Ok, just out of curiosity, are people with this issue using 3rd party apps like TeslaFi that have the feature to turn on Sentry to allow the app to automatically turn on Sentry regardless of where it is, thus possibly over-riding the in-car selection.

• Helpful
Reactions: digitalboi
Just got a usb stick and started using Sentry mode. Problem is I can’t set my home address in navigation. When I go to set the home address it says to check my internet connection and try again, despite the fact that WiFi is already connected in the garage. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the WiFi and got the same error. Am I missing something here? If I don’t remember to manually turn off Sentry mode, I get incident reports in my garage, which is annoying.

I'm still kinda bummed how much battery sentry mode eats.

Because it drains a TON of battery. I'm talking a legitimate 5-10% a day. I live in an apartment complex (no private driveway or garage) so I keep it on. I keep it on at work. And I obviously have it on when I'm going around town doing various activities.

But to drain that much battery is crazy, regardless of how often it's used. I mean, it's not like the video footage is good enough to even read license plates (TeslaCam certainly isn't).

And I've noticed that when I'm watching the "event" video from when a car pulls into the parking space next to me, half the time the recording is missing several seconds of video. I see the car starting to pull in and then ABRACADABRA the car is magically teleported right next to mine. So if they were to have actually hit my car in those missing few seconds of footage, I couldn't even prove it.

Then there's the issues with the video files being corrupted or the video being green (among other defects).

Not to mention my Sentry Mode records an "event" every time it starts raining. RAIN! Do you know how often it rains in Florida?

Today when I left for work, one of the "events" that had been recorded was me walking up to the door (is there a way to prevent that other than making sure you turn it off beforehand? Because sometimes I just forget). No biggie, I'll use my little USB adaptor to quickly watch/delete the files on my phone. NOT SO FAST! This particular "event" recorded me walking to my car and the full HOUR preceding that. What?!

I would love not to have to use Sentry Mode as much, but it's just not possible for me right now. I actually had someone scrape my bumper in a parking lot just days prior to receiving the Sentry Mode firmware update. So it's made me a little paranoid.

I used to just charge from ~25% up to 90% at work about once a week. Lately it's more like every 4-5 days. Which is a mild annoyance but something I can certainly live with. I guess after having said all that, I'd still wish it didn't drain so much battery (can they just cut its consumption in half, please?). But I think there are numerous other issues facing Sentry Mode at this time that are more pressing than the battery drain.

---------------------------------------------------

Sorry, none of this has to do with the OP's issue. I just had to vent.

Reactions: mswlogo
I haven’t looked at the videos but pretty sure the incidents in my garage are just me walking in. I don’t understand why the nav requires internet access to set my home address, notwithstanding the fact that WiFi is connected in the garage. Guess there are a lot of issues with Sentry mode at this point

I don’t understand why the nav requires internet access to set my home address
You must have the full sat map. I think initially it has to download that map, I read that somewhere, after you don’t need the WiFi for it once it’s loaded.

They should automatically download, but it could take a while. The map download is huge. If your router has traffic history, you could check to see if your car has been downloading large amount of data..

Fred

My sentry mode is off when i arrive at home (icon is not red) however when I review videos it constantly shows
images from my garage. It does not show that events have occured but is clearly still recording.